City's Transfer Window Haul

Re: Realistically....

jimmy grummble said:
Those signings would be a great bit of business in the summer, considering we have no european football and MH as a manager. ( i am not a mh out man just realistic he aint going to bring in the top boys at this stage).

Going forward we would be looking at 5/6th, with a cup and/or european football for the following season.

Realistically it has to said we aint getting in that top four for a few years yet, bar a complete debacle at one or more of the top clubs, arsenal or l'pool best bets.

EVERYONE CHILL ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY.

I think you underestimate the quality of our team at present. There were very few games we were completely out-played in last season and had a very poor run of away form. What makes you think we won't be much better this year? I believe Given, Bridge, Richards, Onouha, Kompany, Zabaleta, De Jong will all be better this year with a full pre-season together. Add the new signing Barry to that and you have one of the best defensive set-ups in the league, Better than Arsenal, Villa, Spurs, Toffees etc but maybe just shy of Chelsea, Liverpool and Rags. Add to that our attacking players Robbie, Ireland, SWP, RSC, Weiss, Boj, Bellamy, Petrov and we have a team that on paper (and I think in reality) is good enough to challenge for 4th.

How many of the games we lost or drew last year could easily have gone the other way? Quite a few. I don't think we're that far off. With possible signings Tevez, Terry, Lescott and A.N. Other striker we will be title challengers as long as we have a good start. I didn't say we'd win it but we will challenge. ;)

Fuzzmaster101 said:
jimmy grummble said:
Those signings would be a great bit of business in the summer, considering we have no european football and MH as a manager. ( i am not a mh out man just realistic he aint going to bring in the top boys at this stage).

Going forward we would be looking at 5/6th, with a cup and/or european football for the following season.

Realistically it has to said we aint getting in that top four for a few years yet, bar a complete debacle at one or more of the top clubs, arsenal or l'pool best bets.

EVERYONE CHILL ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY.

I think you underestimate the quality of our team at present. There were very few games we were completely out-played in last season and had a very poor run of away form. What makes you think we won't be much better this year? I believe Given, Bridge, Richards, Onouha, Kompany, Zabaleta, De Jong will all be better this year with a full pre-season together. Add the new signing Barry to that and you have one of the best defensive set-ups in the league, Better than Arsenal, Villa, Spurs, Toffees etc but maybe just shy of Chelsea, Liverpool and Rags. Add to that our attacking players Robbie, Ireland, SWP, RSC, Weiss, Boj, Bellamy, Petrov and we have a team that on paper (and I think in reality) is good enough to challenge for 4th.

How many of the games we lost or drew last year could easily have gone the other way? Quite a few. I don't think we're that far off. With possible signings Tevez, Terry, Lescott and A.N. Other striker we will be title challengers as long as we have a good start. I didn't say we'd win it but we will challenge. ;)

4th is a tall order and without one of the top 4 messing up i cant see it happening.

I persoanlly think you over estimate the quality of our team, its still unbalanced,RSC, Boj, Bellend and Petrov are seriously injury prone players, sneeze in their general direction and they are out for half the season. SWP seems abit injury prone after last season how much more can the poor little fella take he gets hacked down at every opportunity. We aint getting terry and we'd be lucky to get tevez and lescott.
Add to the fact we have to many defensivemidfielders/box to box players, not enough cover at right and left full back position, MR is a central defender not a right back IMO, Dunne is a squad player, Kompany a Sweeper, Zabs is a right back, De Jong im still trying to make up my mind, neither like or dislike at this moment, but do we need him, will he be on the bench most of next season, yes I think so.

Plus i dont deal in if buts and maybes, we lost and drew those games last season fact because we were not good enough thats why we finished 10th and thats why to think of finishing 4th next season is delusional, 6th is realistic, but if we do finish 4th then great but dont set me and other city fans up for a ribbing off man u fans come the end of next season when we finish outside the top 4.

With the addition of two top CBs we will have a very strong side. I think we could have stronger fullbacks, particularly in LB, but with a stronger midfield, they will be under less pressure. I can't wait to see the formation we play, with these new additions we have a lot of options. My main concern is our defense, if we get that sorted we'll be a real threat.

If we manage to get a top class strong athetic striker (a la Eto'o) and strengthen the defense I think we have a stronger squad than Arsenal. 4th spot is up for grabs if we don't have nightmare away form again.

If we don't manage it this season it's going to be another season of failing to get our top transfer targets. Can't see the likes of Rob hanging around not playing in the CL for many seasons.

Pivotal season this year. We get CL and we are ready for world domination within 5 years. Fail to do so and it could be 10.

I can see both points but in my opinion city arent that far of fourth! I think if we get lescott and terry/lucio/marchena we will but there! I think we have good cover in right back in zab and richards. I think bridge is a good left back and mcgivern or helan should be used as cover i dont rate garrido! midfield is solid maybe replace petrov one of his biggest asset was his speed dont know if he will be as quick this year plus hes getting on in years now could be the time to sale! and for forwards even without tevez(not sure we will get him) i rate us better then villa or everton!

jimmy grummble said:
4th is a tall order and without one of the top 4 messing up i cant see it happening.

I persoanlly think you over estimate the quality of our team, its still unbalanced,RSC, Boj, Bellend and Petrov are seriously injury prone players, sneeze in their general direction and they are out for half the season. SWP seems abit injury prone after last season how much more can the poor little fella take he gets hacked down at every opportunity. We aint getting terry and we'd be lucky to get tevez and lescott.
Add to the fact we have to many defensivemidfielders/box to box players, not enough cover at right and left full back position, MR is a central defender not a right back IMO, Dunne is a squad player, Kompany a Sweeper, Zabs is a right back, De Jong im still trying to make up my mind, neither like or dislike at this moment, but do we need him, will he be on the bench most of next season, yes I think so.

Plus i dont deal in if buts and maybes, we lost and drew those games last season fact because we were not good enough thats why we finished 10th and thats why to think of finishing 4th next season is delusional, 6th is realistic, but if we do finish 4th then great but dont set me and other city fans up for a ribbing off man u fans come the end of next season when we finish outside the top 4.

If you don't deal in if buts and maybes why are you predicting how good we'll be next season without kicking a ball? Surely that's a contradiction. We have Richard, Onouha, Zabaleta who can all play at RB. Richards is NOT a CB, or at least not yet. Left back we have Bridge, Barry and Garrido who can play there, all of which are maybe a bit attack minded and less deffensive but we need less deffensive minded players there. I concur that this is a slightly weak spot but I rate Bridge and think he'll come good this year. I fail to see how you judge Arsenal to have a better 1st team or Squad than us at present, I don't rate them much at all except for Arshavin who I think would score for fun in any team he walked into.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm the eternal optimist and you appear to be very much the pessimist. I refuse to go into next season hoping for top six! I simply won't do it. If we finish 6th I'll be disappointed but it's better than ever before (in the Premiership). But I will start the season hoping for our first top flight title since 1968 and won't give up hope till it's well out of our reach. ;)

jimmy grummble said:

Fack me mate, is your outlook on everything in life this dour?!

I think it makes sense to see who we sign this summer, and then see how they play in the pre-season games. Then we'll have an idea of where we stand. After we've played the SPL teams we'll know where we are. What the top 8 do this summer matters too, particularly the big four. If they make some good signings it will make ours lives difficult.
Never, I repeat, never underestimate Arsenal, they have quality in depth and Wenger is an excellent manager. Like us, if they get their defense in line, they will be a very good team.

smiles said:
I think it makes sense to see who we sign this summer, and then see how they play in the pre-season games. Then we'll have an idea of where we stand. After we've played the SPL teams we'll know where we are. What the top 8 do this summer matters too, particularly the big four. If they make some good signings it will make ours lives difficult.
Never, I repeat, never underestimate Arsenal, they have quality in depth and Wenger is an excellent manager. Like us, if they get their defense in line, they will be a very good team.

Yeah, I'm sorry you're right. Arsenal are a very good team and Wenger is indeed a very good manager and we don't know all the if's but's and maybe's of this transfer window yet. I'm just saying I would favour our current squad and first team over Arsenal's at present and assuming nothing changes till the start of the season (or the end of the transfer window more importantly) then I think we will do better. Just my opinion. Things will change though of course but I can't help thinking they are more likely to change favourably for us than Arsenal. Like I say I have high hopes and dreams and I'll not let them waver untill we are out of touch, which I don't think we will be. ;)

Fuzzmaster101 said:
jimmy grummble said:

If you don't deal in if buts and maybes why are you predicting how good we'll be next season without kicking a ball? Surely that's a contradiction. We have Richard, Onouha, Zabaleta who can all play at RB. Richards is NOT a CB, or at least not yet. Left back we have Bridge, Barry and Garrido who can play there, all of which are maybe a bit attack minded and less deffensive but we need less deffensive minded players there. I concur that this is a slightly weak spot but I rate Bridge and think he'll come good this year. I fail to see how you judge Arsenal to have a better 1st team or Squad than us at present, I don't rate them much at all except for Arshavin who I think would score for fun in any team he walked into.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm the eternal optimist and you appear to be very much the pessimist. I refuse to go into next season hoping for top six! I simply won't do it. If we finish 6th I'll be disappointed but it's better than ever before (in the Premiership). But I will start the season hoping for our first top flight title since 1968 and won't give up hope till it's well out of our reach. ;)

Predicting and saying if only we did.... or but maybe we could have..... are totally different and the use of the english langauge aint what im here to debate.
If MR is not a CB then why is he played there at the u21 level? Also I would only have him as cover to zab.
I think Bridge is good but from what I saw last season he aint top class and we have no cover, to put barry there is possible but once again it shows the weakness of our squad, replace a lb with a left sided midfielder, its not a reciepe for the success you so clearly crave.
I will gaurantee you one thing if you go round saying i want/believe city to win the league, then by christmas or earlier your red collegues and or friends will be tearing strips off you!!

You say pessimist, I say realist, Arsenal have a better squad because they finished higher than us, thats how I think that, plus they have a better more experianced manager.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.