Classic Rock (Phil Collins lives, run for the hills)

Yep Howe, Downes, Sherwood,Davison and Schellen.
Imho playing fast and loose with that awesome legacy.
It’s a dilemma for these bands. Who are we to say they shouldn’t be out there. There’s a demand after all. I wouldn’t go and see that line up now, but each to their own. I suppose for the likes of me, they answer would be, ‘play they albums then!’

What I do think is perhaps a more upfront way forward is to do what I think Gene Simmonds has talked about and set up an officially sanctioned band when none of the original members are fit to play - I guess it then becomes a cash-cow that can be milked for eternity! Perhaps it’s a bit easier for Kiss, what with the make-up it would be a piece of cake as long as the line up sounded ok ;-)

I’ve generally maintained I don’t really wanna hear songs recorded by a 25 year old sung by 75 year old original member. With some exceptions I’d be happy to hear them sung by a different 25 year old who has a similar voice.

Has anyone bought the new Yes album “Mirror to the Sky” yet ?
I’ve listened to bits on YouTube but first time ever I am struggling to get enthused to buy it after the last two awful albums.
I’ve listened to it and it’s better than the last 2, but that’s not saying much. It certainly didn’t make me buy a copy. It sounds like they’ve listened to fans and tried to make more of a ‘Yes’ album and a few songs they’ve succeeded but not enough.
Steve Howe still insists on the backing vocals which is annoying when they have Billy Sherwood who is more than capable.Geoff Downes does what he does but lacks the dynamism of Wakeman which is okay but seems like he doesn’t even try. I will say the drumming is better than previous albums as sad to say Alan White had been declining for a while.
You’re a much bigger Yes fan than me, so give it a try, but for me if the last few albums were a 4 _5 /10 this for me is maybe a 6.5 /10

It’s a dilemma for these bands. Who are we to say they shouldn’t be out there. There’s a demand after all. I wouldn’t go and see that line up now, but each to their own. I suppose for the likes of me, they answer would be, ‘play they albums then!’

What I do think is perhaps a more upfront way forward is to do what I think Gene Simmonds has talked about and set up an officially sanctioned band when none of the original members are fit to play - I guess it then becomes a cash-cow that can be milked for eternity! Perhaps it’s a bit easier for Kiss, what with the make-up it would be a piece of cake as long as the line up sounded ok ;-)

I’ve generally maintained I don’t really wanna hear songs recorded by a 25 year old sung by 75 year old original member. With some exceptions I’d be happy to hear them sung by a different 25 year old who has a similar voice.
Yes there is still a demand for Yes music and of course they are entitled to continue.
I was listening to the Keystudio album today and the dynamism, time signature changes and musicianship are astonishing.
In comparison we now have a 70 odd year old Howe struggling with dexterity, a wholly inferior vocalist and keyboard player with only bassist Sherwood holding a candle to the alumni.
I don’t have an issue with them playing old songs live but just wish they would change the name.
Then again I am a FOC :-)

Yep Howe, Downes, Sherwood,Davison and Schellen.
Imho playing fast and loose with that awesome legacy.
I’d say it depends how they do it, compared to say Kansas who have replaced older or original members with new younger members, I think with their last 2 albums they’ve enriched the Kansas catalogue and they’ve respected the legacy. Whereas the current Yes line up have probably tilted the balance of great Yes albums to bad ones more towards bad as you say have probably damaged the legacy.

I’ve listened to it and it’s better than the last 2, but that’s not saying much. It certainly didn’t make me buy a copy. It sounds like they’ve listened to fans and tried to make more of a ‘Yes’ album and a few songs they’ve succeeded but not enough.
Steve Howe still insists on the backing vocals which is annoying when they have Billy Sherwood who is more than capable.Geoff Downes does what he does but lacks the dynamism of Wakeman which is okay but seems like he doesn’t even try. I will say the drumming is better than previous albums as sad to say Alan White had been declining for a while.
You’re a much bigger Yes fan than me, so give it a try, but for me if the last few albums were a 4 _5 /10 this for me is maybe a 6.5 /10
Cheers as always BP.
I have not heard it all the way through yet and quite like “Cut from the Stars”. The title track meanders along with previous little to say imho. All Connected has grown in me a bit but I couldn’t stomach the opening of Luminosity.
I just just miss the overall excellence of each member of the Classic line up.

I’d say it depends how they do it, compared to say Kansas who have replaced older or original members with new younger members, I think with their last 2 albums they’ve enriched the Kansas catalogue and they’ve respected the legacy. Whereas the current Yes line up have probably tilted the balance of great Yes albums to bad ones more towards bad as you say have probably damaged the legacy.
I have really enjoyed the last two Kansas albums.
Oh for Tom Brislin back in Yes !!!

I’ve listened to bits on YouTube but first time ever I am struggling to get enthused to buy it after the last two awful albums.
I’ve got it.

It’s ok. Need a few more listens.

Obviously it is not in same league as classic Yes.

Better than the last one for sure. May play it on the way home from Roger Waters, who has just finished set 1.

I remember the tour for this album in 1998 being truly excellent. A great set list and the fans were really up for it. The only downside was there was no Manchester gig so I had to go to Liverpool instead to see them....
+1

If you have not had chance to hear Jon Anderson playing with the Band of Geeks earlier this year then you are in for a treat! Jon is thankfully very much on form.

No !!
I personally think it's shit shitty and even more shit that Steve Howe can denude and sully the name "Yes" with this tribute band of his.
I've gone right off him. he should've called this band of his something else, like "No"
I refuse to listen to his crap, I watched a vid on YT when Alan White was still alive but it sounded like embarrassing Yes music, I've heard tribute bands on YT play much better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.