Clattenberg Bottled It

mancitymick said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2603900/Superb-Clattenburg-got-Henderson-red-spot-late-Skrtel-penalty-call-wrong.html

Graham Poll sums up all the decisions.
3 wrong decisions all going against City, but he's still 'superb' and 'very good overall'. Jokers.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I want to know what his linesman is doing for the Skrtel handball.

None of our players appealed because we had our back to the play.

Clattenberg can be forgiven for not seeing it in real time, but the linesmen, level with the 18-yard line, has no excuses whatsoever looking sideways on.

Otherwise, Clattenberg fucked up every major decision barring a red card at the death, which was convenient for him, coming when it did.

The linesman were clearly told not to give decisions. They didn't wave for any fouls at all. Nothing for the Suarez dive or anything out on the touchline. A foul on Zab in the 2nd half which i couldn't tell whether the ref had blown up for because the Linesman hadn't flagged despite being on top of it

Dubai Blue said:
mancitymick said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2603900/Superb-Clattenburg-got-Henderson-red-spot-late-Skrtel-penalty-call-wrong.html

Graham Poll sums up all the decisions.
3 wrong decisions all going against City, but he's still 'superb' and 'very good overall'. Jokers.
it doesn't matter to them, it's only City that were fucked over

I have a friend who's a Dipper fan, he watched it on tv; like most 'true Pool fans' and he even agreed we should have been given two penalties, obviously he wasn't exactly complaining, but still, never thought I'd hear him admit to that! Probably would have been a different story had it have gone the other way. Like when Zabba 'dived' he complained how he wasn't given a yellow and if it was Suarez he would have been booked, but he wasn't... Suarez diving, should have been a second yellow and off the pitch!

Clattenburg absolutely bottled it.

I'm willing to let him off, to varying degrees, with the various penalty decisions. For those I believe it was down to a combination of personal opinion, referee line of sight, and just being a bit shit at his job.

The Dzeko penalty was indeed a penalty for me, but he did make it look a little theatrical, and it's one of those strange ones which in real time looks more iffy than it does in slow-mo. Because Dzeko tried to hurdle the challenge the contact came far later than you would have thought, and therefore made Dzeko's tumble look really, really late.

The Skrtel penalty was absolutely a penalty, no-one could possibly deny that. The only possible explanation here is that Clattenburg, and his assistant, simply didn't see it. That's down to poor positioning, which in turn is down to just not being very good at the job. If Clattenburg sees it then I have no doubt he gives the penalty, he would have had no choice.

What I'm not willing to let him get away with, and where he certainly bottled it, is on the Suarez dive.

In not giving Liverpool a free kick Clattenburg has decided that Demichelis didn't foul Suarez, that's obvious. What's also obvious is that Demichelis didn't get a touch on the ball at all. So, if the defender doesn't play the ball, and doesn't commit a foul, then how exactly does Suarez end up on the floor in the way he did? The only possible explanation is that he dived. He didn't fall due to losing balance, he didn't trip, he intentionally went to ground. That's a dive, and that's a yellow card. There's no room for Clattenburg to use his discretion in the rules on this one, it's not a judgement call. A dive, or "simulation" if you like, occurs then a yellow card simply has to follow. The only reason Clattenburg doesn't give the yellow card here is because he knows he's already shown Suarez a yellow card in the first half. He knows he'd need to send Suarez off, and he knows that the media storm afterwards would be apoplectic. He's sure Suarez dived, but what if, just what if, he's mistaken? What if there was indeed a foul, and he's missed it? If he sends Suarez off it's likely to affect the result, and ultimately the title, what if he's wrong? A strong referee backs his judgement and does what he believes is right, a strong referee sends off Suarez. Clattenburg isn't a strong referee. He's a shithouse. He's panicked. He's scared. He's bottled it. He should have sent him off, as Demichelis didn't touch him. Hansen's pathetic attempts to claim otherwise on MOTD2 last night were just the ramblings of a biased man and were, frankly, an embarrassment to the BBC and to MOTD.

Matty said:
Clattenburg absolutely bottled it.

I'm willing to let him off, to varying degrees, with the various penalty decisions. For those I believe it was down to a combination of personal opinion, referee line of sight, and just being a bit shit at his job.

The Dzeko penalty was indeed a penalty for me, but he did make it look a little theatrical, and it's one of those strange ones which in real time looks more iffy than it does in slow-mo. Because Dzeko tried to hurdle the challenge the contact came far later than you would have thought, and therefore made Dzeko's tumble look really, really late.

The Skrtel penalty was absolutely a penalty, no-one could possibly deny that. The only possible explanation here is that Clattenburg, and his assistant, simply didn't see it. That's down to poor positioning, which in turn is down to just not being very good at the job. If Clattenburg sees it then I have no doubt he gives the penalty, he would have had no choice.

What I'm not willing to let him get away with, and where he certainly bottled it, is on the Suarez dive.

In not giving Liverpool a free kick Clattenburg has decided that Demichelis didn't foul Suarez, that's obvious. What's also obvious is that Demichelis didn't get a touch on the ball at all. So, if the defender doesn't play the ball, and doesn't commit a foul, then how exactly does Suarez end up on the floor in the way he did? The only possible explanation is that he dived. He didn't fall due to losing balance, he didn't trip, he intentionally went to ground. That's a dive, and that's a yellow card. There's no room for Clattenburg to use his discretion in the rules on this one, it's not a judgement call. A dive, or "simulation" if you like, occurs then a yellow card simply has to follow. The only reason Clattenburg doesn't give the yellow card here is because he knows he's already shown Suarez a yellow card in the first half. He knows he'd need to send Suarez off, and he knows that the media storm afterwards would be apoplectic. He's sure Suarez dived, but what if, just what if, he's mistaken? What if there was indeed a foul, and he's missed it? If he sends Suarez off it's likely to affect the result, and ultimately the title, what if he's wrong? A strong referee backs his judgement and does what he believes is right, a strong referee sends off Suarez. Clattenburg isn't a strong referee. He's a shithouse. He's panicked. He's scared. He's bottled it. He should have sent him off, as Demichelis didn't touch him. Hansen's pathetic attempts to claim otherwise on MOTD2 last night were just the ramblings of a biased man and were, frankly, an embarrassment to the BBC and to MOTD.
Well said, Matty. My feelings exactly.

Markt85 said:
It's why we love the game.

Mark in honesty I have to say I'm getting fed up with it's getting silly it really is. Not this game in particular, but the whole fucking game.<br /><br />-- Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:03 am --<br /><br />
wolfie1988 said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
I want to know what his linesman is doing for the Skrtel handball.

None of our players appealed because we had our back to the play.

Clattenberg can be forgiven for not seeing it in real time, but the linesmen, level with the 18-yard line, has no excuses whatsoever looking sideways on.

Otherwise, Clattenberg fucked up every major decision barring a red card at the death, which was convenient for him, coming when it did.

The linesman were clearly told not to give decisions. They didn't wave for any fouls at all. Nothing for the Suarez dive or anything out on the touchline. A foul on Zab in the 2nd half which i couldn't tell whether the ref had blown up for because the Linesman hadn't flagged despite being on top of it

Linesman flagged for Horse faces tackle on MDM that got him the (pointless) yellow.

As others have said not sending Suarez off for his dying swan act was a real lack of bottle.

When it was announced he would be the ref I thought there was bound to be controversary afterwards.

Just out of interest, which ref do you think is the best at the moment?

andypandy said:
As others have said not sending Suarez off for his dying swan act was a real lack of bottle.

When it was announced he would be the ref I thought there was bound to be controversary afterwards.

Just out of interest, which ref do you think is the best at the moment?

Hard to say, I think the standard of refereeing is very poor. Decisions go for and against teams but I think the main problem is that referees aren't consistent with their decisions during a match.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.