Club Badge (merged)

image.jpg

Rafael Esquer (NYCFC badge designer) has said he's not been approached by the club yet, but he knows all about Manchester City, he loves us and he'd fly to Manchester tomorrow to be involved.

He also commented on Gav's design above and said he thinks the three stripes and the Maltese cross should be included, but suggests he could improve the design even further. I hope they do get him involved because I think NYCFC's badge is absolutely superb and if he could design something similarly as iconic for us I'm sure we'd all be delighted.

oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god

The 3 stripes do not represent the three rivers, it's a myth. This part of the first badge is actually a shield from the coat of arms of the De Grelley family, issued to Roger De Grelley. The De Grelleys were the feudal lords of Manchester when it was issued with its charter in 1301.

Source Manchester.gov.uk

Also as mentioned on previous pages the 3 main historical colours are sky/ Cambridge blue, white and navy blue. (Though I do prefer what is/ was known as maroon)

For me the ship is the biggest constant on the badge, but it would be bare as a symbol on its own.

I grew up with the red rose and shield badges but I think that a new one should be a stripped down version of the current one without the budgie and fast food stars.

Edit: the definition of Cambridge blue has altered over the years and the original colour is not the same as Cambridge university rowing colours

I have waited for this moment for a long time and really hope sense prevails and we ditch the stupid, gimmicky badge we currently have which was at the behest (if memory serves me correct) of a fly-by night kit manufacturer.

The changing of the badge to the two historical badges, which are synonomous with our history is surely the only possible decision.

Using stupid eagles and stars is frankly small time, a rip off from another club and is more suited to the Hulls, Cardiff Citys of this world.

Badge number two for me. It is crisp, the writing looks great on the white background and is a badge probably the majority of our supporters base identify with.

Number 1 and 2 are OUR badges. The third shows how far we plummeted by adopting something associated with other clubs. It was a betrayal of our identity.

Hear, hear. I was oblivious to the badge thing till many years ago (too worried about the shenanigans on the pitch). Anyway I went into Mary D's before a game and some bloke carrying a large piece of hardboard with about 200 badges on it came over so I picked the 1972-1997 piece. Since then I cant look at the Eagle without feeling unwell. The only bit I like is the latin. I never understood why we couldn't trademark the older ones. Someone mentioned City sold the rights. Probably for a few grand. In fact license deals are around 15 years so maybe City recently got the rights back after selling them off post 1997/8.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the Lancashire rose, the latin, the three rivers, a ship, the original Maltese cross, MCFC initials - all in one.

I'd like the club to take proposed badges, from fans and professional designers alike and come up with three crests - then let registered club members (Cityzens; Seasoncard holders etc) vote between three new badges or the three previous crests. Do the vote in a way where your first choice carries 10 points; 2nd choice gets 4 points; 3rd gets 3 points; 4th gets 2 points; 5th gets a point and last choice gets points. Publish the votes too. Total democracy and fan action.

A round crest would surely end the need for a shield beneath the crest. It looked awful on Umbro kits over a shield.

I love the main elements of Gav's design, but I agree with you, the tiny latin writing and text in the background is just not needed and looks fussy. The core design though is exactly what I'd want to see - roundel, full club name, Manchester Coat of arms in the middle. It's simple, as most iconic brands are.

I'd be really interested to see your interpretation if you are a professional designer?

The guy who did the NYCFC one is called Rafael Esquer. People have approached him on Twitter and he said he's not been approached by the club yet, but he knows all about Manchester City, he loves us and he'd fly to Manchester tomorrow to be involved. He also commented on Gav's main design and said he thinks the three stripes and the Maltese cross should be included. I hope they do get him involved because I think NYCFC's badge is absolutely superb and if he could design something similarly as iconic for us I'm sure we'd all be delighted.

I've thought about giving a go but never had the time to really think about it

I did this for our supporters group. Obviously vibing off the NYCFC design. I was so pumped when it came out i did my own version of it.

fcKlIMM.jpg

Can't wait to see what they come up with after this 4 week consult is over

Voting/views etc. to be done as Cityzens or via City Voice.

Am I the only one worried about the number of non-local fans (i.e. international fans who tend to be more involved with the club via the internet and who may know little about our city and history) having too big an influence over it given a large number of local fans (if not most) aren't that arsed about Cityzens stuff usually?

Depends on the options we're given but they may be more likely to favour the current one for example if that's all they know, or other options that may reflect the city poorly. Obviously I feel the views of local fans/fans with connections to Manchester/long-time fans/fans who know the history of the club's identity are more valuable than someone abroad who has a mere interest in City and is a registered 'Cityzen' as the badge should represent the city and be in keeping with history.

I assume by Cityzens they mean all rather than just members with access to buy tickets (such as the old blue card members or season ticket holders) - not sure of the ins and outs of the current system.

I assume we'll change to a circular badge but I just hope it's the best it can be. Personally I'm not keen on having any red whatsoever (other than lancashire rose, which probably isn't appropriate anymore) as that badge was before my time and we've evolved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.