Colin Bell's beef with City

I have met Colin on several occasions on match days and as some have said he is a very quiet bloke, which i personally have never thought he comes across as aloof or ignorant.

The general feeling at City nowadays is one of inclusivity.

The days of infighting are quickly slipping into the background with the cliques disenfranchised, and the infighting seen for what it was, ego driven bollocks.

FHL is, indeed very good at some things and one of them is self-promotion. Unfortunately for FHL he forgot that in football ego goes only so far and its what you do, not say that counts.

CB was on the receiving end of one of many poor decisions by FHL, that I suspect FHL regrets now. But that being said he has never publicly acknowledged his own faults.

I imagine that CB is far happier working in the role he has now (and for the board in place now) than he would ever have had working under FHL.

I suspect CB likes to work for people he doesnt know, likes the clear demarcation between work and friendship and that is why he walked away from football for many years.

I spent some time in CB's company about 15 years ago. I was with him and his wife and son (amongst others) for about 2 hours and it was interesting that football was never mentioned and he seemed relieved about that.

I heard / read that King Colin was sacked by the then manager (forget who it was) and went to Franny to ask him to intervene.

Lee refused to do so, saying it was not his job to tell the manager which coaches to employ and Colin took umbrage at Franny's stance.

Vienna_70 said:
I heard / read that King Colin was sacked by the then manager (forget who it was) and went to Franny to ask him to intervene.

Lee refused to do so, saying it was not his job to tell the manager which coaches to employ and Colin took umbrage at Franny's stance.
It was Frank Clark who sacked him, iirc.

Colin Bell - Reluctant Hero, his autobiography says it all he is a very quiet /shy person good read !

cleavers said:
the blue panther said:
Met Bell twice at the ground in the last couple of years and he is an absolutely top bloke

Agreed, you'd go a long way to meet a nicer ex player, still involved with the club.

Is this another WUM topic ?

Not having a go at anyone here but there are many more people following City nowadays who were not able to follow stories like this 'as the developed' so they perhaps get the wrong end of many sticks?

Us old feckers are here to put meat on the bones of the last few years perhaps?

Biggsy1 said:
He does seem to lie low and keep a low profile nothing wrong with that, but I must confess all this talk of office politics bores me!!
young lad like you won't have been aware of all the crap that went on behind the scenes from the mid-70's onwards. Even up to September 1st 2008, there was still loads of it. I always maintain that you can't be sucessful on the pitch unless you're well run off the pitch. Look at Liverpool plus (hopefully) the rags.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Biggsy1 said:
He does seem to lie low and keep a low profile nothing wrong with that, but I must confess all this talk of office politics bores me!!
young lad like you won't have been aware of all the crap that went on behind the scenes from the mid-70's onwards. Even up to September 1st 2008, there was still loads of it. I always maintain that you can't be sucessful on the pitch unless you're well run off the pitch. Look at Liverpool plus (hopefully) the rags.

Thats what my posts were trying to say ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.