Community Shield - 2024/25 | 10 Aug Sat 3pm

The First Charity Shield to be played at Wembley was 1974, Liverpool v Leeds Utd, the infamous fight and subsequent sending off of Keegan and Bremner was the big talking point, the game ended 1.1 and Liverpool won on Penalties, it's been held at Wembley ever since, barring the Rebuild where it then went to Cardiff.
Two Community Shields played elsewhere. We were involved in both.
2012 at Villa Park (due to the London Olympics)
2022 at Leicester (due to the women's Euros)

When it was held at the champions ground, Leeds refused to play us and we played who ??? instead at MR. I think it was Leeds title under Revie but the memory is very vague now.
There, that was really informative wasn’t it? Suitably sesquipedalian.
You are right about the debts run up by Ken Bates. FA had to sign a contract to hold Community shield, both cup semis and all England games at Wembley for several years. I don’t know if that contract is still live.
Burnley or Villa

When it was held at the champions ground, Leeds refused to play us and we played who ??? instead at MR. I think it was Leeds title under Revie but the memory is very vague now.
There, that was really informative wasn’t it? Suitably sesquipedalian.
You are right about the debts run up by Ken Bates. FA had to sign a contract to hold Community shield, both cup semis and all England games at Wembley for several years. I don’t know if that contract is still live.
I don't recall anyone refusing to play us.
1968 - City were champions and we played the cup winners West Brom at Maine Rd, won 6-1.
1969 - Leeds champions, City cup winners and we played them at Elland Rd, lost 2-1.
1972 - Derby were champions, Leeds cup winners and Villa (third tier champions!) played City (4th place) at Villa Park, won 1-0.
1973 - Liverpool champions, Sunderland cup winners and City played Burnley at Maine Rd and lost 0-1.

Last edited:
1968 - City were champions and we played the cup winners West Brom at Maine Rd, won 6-1.
1969 - Leeds champions, City cup winners and we played them at Elland Rd, lost 2-1.
1972 - Derby were champions, Leeds cup winners and Villa (third tier champions!) played City (4th place) at Villa Park, lost 1-0.
1973 - Liverpool champions, Sunderland cup winners and City played Burnley at Maine Rd and lost 0-1.
Were we in it because nobody else could be bothered ? If so , why can't we do the same today !?

Well, no, the stronger team should show that they're stronger by beating the weaker team on an even playing field.
Even if the two teams involved have to trek 200 miles from the NW to the Capital, and their followers have to fork out huge sums of money for the ‘privilege’?

Barking bloody mad!

1972 - Derby were champions, Leeds cup winners and Villa (third tier champions!) played City (4th place) at Villa Park, lost 1-0.
You may be right. I am an FOC after all. Maybe Leeds just threatened and then backed off. But I do remember some argument. Your facts from 1972 suggest I’m not far off, Leeds as cup winners did not play in the charity shield. Similar in 1973 which is what my memory maybe was alluding to.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.