Community Shield - 2024/25 | 10 Aug Sat 3pm

Community shield was played at the Old Wembley from 1974-2000. Then Millennium Stadium 2001-2006, and from 2007 onwards at New Wembley, other than Villa Park 2012 due to the Olympics, and King Power 2022 due to the Women's Euros.

So neither of you are quite right. Obviously early 1970s is nothing like "the dawn of time", but it's also three decades prior to the closing of the Old Wembley. It's been held at both iterations of Wembley for a total of 43 years, with the interregnum period being at the Millennium Stadium.

Having it at the national stadium makes it neutral, and also puts it on an equal footing with the majority of national Super Cups. It'd be hard to say it wasn't a tradition at this point, but apart from that it's also the most fair way of doing it.
Thank you for your superior knowledge and I stand corrected, but was that from your fantastic memory or reference books. So can you tell me is the community shield still invitational or mandatory.

It was played at old Wembley for many years prior to the new ground being built.

So it isn’t really about that.

By the same logic that’s the only reason the FA Cup Final or England internationals are played there.
FA Cup finals, replays and international games have also been played on club grounds.

Wembley should be used for finals including the play offs.

All other club matches competitions could and should be played at club grounds.

The whole structure and location of the CS should be re thought....
it's an outdated model like the FA.

It’s a glorified friendly and I don’t give a fuck where they play it I’m not interested in watching a practise game

FA Cup finals, replays and international games have also been played on club grounds.

Wembley should be used for finals including the play offs.

All other club matches competitions could and should be played at club grounds.

The whole structure and location of the CS should be re thought....
it's an outdated model like the FA.

In your opinion.

I’d take a punt that the majority of football fans are quite happy with the way things are.

Not a fucking chance I'm going to this and having to interact with any red bastards, and risk being goaded by the lurking cockney horrible rag scrotes that all appeared at full time on Saturday down Wembley Way, should they fluke another win.

Decided at the Arsenal 3-0 debacle many years ago that the CS wasn't for me, least of all because we seem to return to training only the week before each season and are always underprepared compared to the opposition.

Great for families with kids who get an easy chance to go to Wembley on (hopefully) a nice day weather wise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.