Community shield Post match thread

Always nice to beat them, but not sure it was particularly deserved (although in some ways that makes it sweeter). We were by far the better team in the first half, but thought we were poor in the second half and they looked much more threatening. Suggests it will be a very close title race again. Looking forward to it.

I don't know.

They played their best team, bought on fresh legs en masse, and we played them without Sergio, and Sane - and we should have, by rights, won 3:0 or 3:1 if Sterling had managed to finish the two shots on goal...

Salah was allowed too much space too many times - and he is always a danger, he should have been marked better and shut down more, but, as it was, his lines into the penalty area were closed down and he was forced into awkward angles.

They outplayed us for much of the second half, the breaks we had were good, but miss-timed and we gave the ball away too many times. But we still pushed harder than they did and were unlucky with the breaks we had.

Is that five pre-season games they've lost now?

As i said, i think they put their best team out and City played at 80-90% (for whatever reason) with Sterling looking a tad rusty and Rodri looking lost from time to time. But also, in the back of everyone's mind would be keeping injuries down. i think we saw liverpool firing on all cylinders while City didn't capitalize on the chances they had.

i doubt we can use it as a yardstick for the new season - either in how City or LFC played, tbf.

He's trained with the first team for 3 days this week. If all goes well, he'll be back for the Spurs game, before ending his season against Norwich in mid September.

Don't worry about Zinchenko. He won every premier league game he's played in. He was rusty today against the hardest opponent he will come up against this season. He'll come good.
He made at least three crucial interceptions; the usually dipper cvnts loving argies from EspnLa were praising him, Zinchenko.

city looked vunerable and liverpool looked classy all second half , you can be excited as much as you like about winning a penalty shoot out but you didnt win the match
Er..... Yes, we did.

That's why City were awarded winners medals and LFC were given runers' up medals.

And the lack of LFC supporters, who all left without applauding their team (so much for their YNWA anthem) tells you exactly who won the match.

city looked vunerable and liverpool looked classy all second half , you can be excited as much as you like about winning a penalty shoot out but you didnt win the match
Neither did you so what's your point?

You looked just vulnerable in the first half with your full backs getting exposed by the ball over the top in the first half. If Sane didn't go down you were in all sorts.

You can paint the picture anyway you like, if De Bruyne is at his peak you are 2/3 down before the second half, if Aguero plays he nails the chances Sterling missed so there's that to.

We looked like we'd caught a virus at halftime, slow and a lack of concentration. On the other hand they looked like they'd had spice mixed with whizz.

Always nice to beat them, but not sure it was particularly deserved (although in some ways that makes it sweeter). We were by far the better team in the first half, but thought we were poor in the second half and they looked much more threatening. Suggests it will be a very close title race again. Looking forward to it.
I haven't seen much of it, but I got the impression following it, that it was quite even until 60 minutes, and that we missed a number of good chances at 1-0, the Sterling run where he just gave it to the keeper should be a goal, and that would have changed things. Some heroics at the end, but as others have said their goal came from a free kick that wasn't, and some quite rusty defending, I'm not worried that we tried, but we held on, and 5 near perfect penalties, it's hard not to be pleased to beat them :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.