Congrats Lionesses

IT annoys me that not one mention has been made of her service to the team, Jill and Ellen who played got special recognition but not one word for Steph.
Yes Steph should be mentioned in the same breath as Kelly Smith but the British Scousewashing Corporation (Gooners for Women) promote their own.

Just watched 'Football Focus' and the piece at the end about the Lionesses. I think every player played their part in the victory, but it's seeming the media just want too pick a few !
Jill Scott in the Studio picked out Keira Walsh has England star player while the rest made no comment. Then on to a piece with Russo which isn't a problem, but again focusing on the utd players, with one comment (looking at iconic pictures from the final) "look the Manchester girls" a picture of Russo & Toone !
Also comments about her and Toone changing the Quarter final verse Spain, the game changed against Spain with Alex Greenwood coming on at left back along with Chloe Kelly , Russo and Toone !

Interesting to see where these England and now suddenly successful players associate themselves; Kelly at QPR, Hemp at Norwich etc.

There's an article in the DT with Leah W outlining they have the fame but not the money. The money will come when the game is watched by hordes of fans. You can climb Kilimanjaro, trumpet the women's game to the folk up there, but until the game is wholly merchantable to the point of providing as much pace, power and excitement as the men's game the money will stay in sponsors' pockets. Those within the women's game seem to think they are entitled to the same whatever as the men just because. I intend to watch all the City Women's games at The Academy this season but I think there will not be one game that provides as much entertainment as that Alkmaar v Dundee game last night!

I was just scrolling through my Instagram feed. There were a couple of reels from England Women and photos from MCWFC accounts featuring our Chloe. I am so happy for her. She's worked her arse off after her injury to be where she is now.

What made an impression on me is in many of the dressing room videos after the ladies won and they are going "buck wild " and deservedly so, you don't see much of Chloe.

Obviously, I don't know her. She appears to be a shy young woman from a working class/lower middle class upbringing who seems to keep to herself. And then, one of the videos showed her on the grandstand after the parade dancing and seeming to to enjoy herself. It brought a tear to my eye. Yes, I'm getting soft in my middle age. And yes, I've had a couple of glasses of wine.

IT annoys me that not one mention has been made of her service to the team, Jill and Ellen who played got special recognition but not one word for Steph.
There's a few paragraphs yet to be written on this matter. Steph has been excluded from the latest England squad. Wiegmann has adopted the old managerial cop out by suggesting 'the door remains open'! If Steph is fully fit, which I think she is, then I cannot see, comparing the rest of the defence, why she isn't included. I think Wiegmann has a system that puts Williamson at the heart of the defence, so no room for Steph. Why not on the bench? More to this than hits the RDAHMeedya gossip pages.

There's a few paragraphs yet to be written on this matter. Steph has been excluded from the latest England squad. Wiegmann has adopted the old managerial cop out by suggesting 'the door remains open'! If Steph is fully fit, which I think she is, then I cannot see, comparing the rest of the defence, why she isn't included. I think Wiegmann has a system that puts Williamson at the heart of the defence, so no room for Steph. Why not on the bench? More to this than hits the RDAHMeedya gossip pages.

But she's started the last two city games on the bench and only played 13 minutes against Real Madrid. I doubt she's going to be considered for England until she's started some games for us.

But she's started the last two city games on the bench and only played 13 minutes against Real Madrid. I doubt she's going to be considered for England until she's started some games for us.
True, but there should be a place on the England bench for her. The experience she will bring to the dressing room would be immense. I fear that Wiegmann wants to bring a close to her England career as she doesn't see her taking a CB berth, and doesn't want to be the bearer of grim news. Instead there's the old cop out of stringing a player along with the notion that 'the door remains open' but ne'er the opportunity of walking through, and waits for the player to announce her retirement from international football. I think if the entire CB first choices went down with beri-beri she still would find alternatives to Steph. I don't know, but I have a feeling that Steph has always been outspoken and speaks her mind, something that might grate on a few.

True, but there should be a place on the England bench for her. The experience she will bring to the dressing room would be immense. I fear that Wiegmann wants to bring a close to her England career as she doesn't see her taking a CB berth, and doesn't want to be the bearer of grim news. Instead there's the old cop out of stringing a player along with the notion that 'the door remains open' but ne'er the opportunity of walking through, and waits for the player to announce her retirement from international football. I think if the entire CB first choices went down with beri-beri she still would find alternatives to Steph. I don't know, but I have a feeling that Steph has always been outspoken and speaks her mind, something that might grate on a few.
Wiegmann was thinking more for the future I think. Had Wubben-Moy and Carter as backup defenders to give them experience of an international tournament as well as Greenwood if she needed more experience. Can't really argue with any of her selections seeing as we won the thing. She has her own trusted coaching staff so why add in another voice to that mix so late? Not much room for sentiment in football anymore.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.