Congrats Lionesses

Well done to them, well deserved. You would think it will have a positive impact on womens football in England in terms of viewership but I wouldn’t be so sure though. With the premier league starting this weekend and world cup coming up, all eyes will be back on that.

Probably inspired plenty of young girls to play though.

Gotta be honest though, the quality of play is mostly dreadful still at this point. But if it’s inspiring new generations of young players, it’ll only get better. The quality in the likes of womens MMA shot up rapidly when it was getting good backing.

Where as womens tennis for example doesn’t have a gulf in ability between men and women. I know the women can’t beat the men because of physical advantages, but relatively speaking, the skill level of male and female tennis is an excellent standard on both sides. Womens football isn’t there yet, but I think it’ll improve rapidly, it already has been.
Well I’m not sure. Ok they haven’t the physicality or stamina but that’s ok as they don’t want to be the female equivalent of Burnley (pre Vinnie of course). I saw some exceptional skill. The first against Germany was assisted by our very own Keira Walsh with a sublime ball that KDB would have been proud of. The scorer, Toone, made a beautifully timed run and then 1 on 1 lobbed the keeper. I know of some recently departed male players that would have been very proud of that finish.
Russo backheel, Georgia’s winner vs Spain - some really memorable moments.

The under 21 men's team are called the young lions too.

It’s their nickname. They can call themselves whatever they want. The joys of living in a democracy.

Btw I’ve heard the England team referred to as the 3 Lions
And it is good marketing. People will think what they will of it but when the population hears "Lionesses" they know exactly who is being referenced.

The game is now officially Sold Out after less than 24 hours!

This could be quiet a good match. I expect England will give the US Women a better game than the last time they met.

The US, while still good and a dangerous opponent, seems to be in a state of flux. The "Golden Generation" is aging. Many of them are north of 30. Some are well last 30 but still trying to hang on and be a part of the team. Rapinoe comes to mind, she is good but not great anymore. Personally, I think she just enjoys the soapbox and notoriety being in the team beings her.

Lavelle is still young and extremely dangerous. I believe she is 26 or 27 and in her prime. Much of the younger players are good but lack the experience of the the older women. Playing against the Central American teams is good and well but nothing like the Lionesses have just done. They've player against the best, bar the US and come out on top.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.