Corners

It's like that scene from Black Adder Goes Forth when Lord Melchid is shocked to hear that Captain Black Adder already knows the sensitive battle plan of climbing over the top and walking straight at the German machine guns. Having done it unsuccessfully 18 times before it's the last thing they'll be expecting.

_77728226_77728225.jpg

If only we could do the same.

I think we actually have a good conversion rate from corners. But it's the rest that are frustrating. It's like for every good one, we have eight terrible ones. Where other teams might have a 4:6 ratio. That's what makes ours so frustrating. The ones we don't convert are often too floaty, miskicked to the first man (sometimes at knee height!) or easily read then the other team attacks from them. We've conceded two toals in our last two home Prem games from our own corners.

Joe Hart's Dandruff said:
Silva and Nasri are both as bad as each other at corners. Why are they our designated takers? In fact, concerns over why Nasri is even a regular starter were proven today. Chelsea would have probably overrun our midfield had he started.

Maybe the thinking is to have corners taken by shortarses, loading up the box with the tall players.

Obviously doesn't work when the corner can't clear the first defender though. I agree that we should do better with so many big men in the team.

I've also noticed that we seem to be trying to set records with the shortest walls when defending free kicks. I think we had one 3 man wall of Sergio, Navas and Dave in one game. Yaya's taller than that lying down.

The biggest problem is when silva over hits a floater to the edge of the 18 yard, our players miss it and the opposition breaks. I've never seen another team as vulnerable when they have a corner.

This is a major training ground cock up. Presumably they do take the odd corner in training and Pellers should have spotted before now that we may as well just kick it out of play and get back into a defensive formation. There seems no plan,no variety,no ability in our dead ball kicks. We should be scoring every other game from the number of set pieces we get.

GaudinoMotors said:
Inswingers or short from now on. Outswingers just aid the opponents counter attacks.
Why can't MP see this? It's clear as day. It's like they just don't care - the shortest guy playing on the right side takes corners from the right and the same for the left side. Hence the fruitless outswingers that more often create breakaway chances for the opponents than real chances for us. Yaya from the left and Kola from the right would be the obvious choices.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.