Coronation of King Charles 3rd

In agreement with many others, I won’t be watching, my position on this is one of total apathy. I don’t care about anything royal be it Charles, Harry and Meghan or whatever. I think I’m quite reflective of those in my age group (early 30s). I read a poll yesterday saying 80% of under 25s don’t care and that sounds about right to me. They’re an anachronism that has limped on into the 21st century by virtue of having two stable diplomatic monarchs that between them served over 130 years. Thus reducing the time available for a crazy one to come in and ruin their reputation and standing.

I also don’t find the tourism argument at all compelling. Nobody comes here to meet the queen or king personally, they come to see the ceremonies and the buildings. All of which would be easy to preserve without having some hereditary monarch sat in the chair. You can troop the colour and change the guard without a monarch.

All of that said, when it comes to finding alternatives… I’m also lukewarm about the thought of putting some other elected stooge in as a president. For the same reason I’m not entirely against the HoL (though I would want it to be reformed), there’s a balance to be struck between indirect democracy and direct democracy which is very important for stability. While I am philosophically opposed to monarchy, I think right now we have much bigger problems on which we need to be spending our political capital.

So yes, let them continue to exist for now but don’t ask me to care.

The Johnson/Blair argument is just BS, a ceremonial, apolitical President would work just fine.

Street party at ours on the day of the Coronation. Sadly going to miss it due to City being at home. Ah well, thems the breaks

The Johnson/Blair argument is just BS, a ceremonial, apolitical President would work just fine.
So, who makes the choice on who this apolitical mythical creature will be ?

If it's the Government of the day, there are vested political interests......
If it's by an election, there will be vested political interests !

Do we just play musical chairs until the last one standing is President ?

It’s probably just my age but I quite like us having a monarch. Not really arsed about the cost, etc, I just like the pomp and circumstance and the fact that a lot of countries still seem slightly envious and respectful of our pageantry.

Not interested in the politics, media back stabbing, weirdness side of things, it’s more about the nostalgia and prestige. Good for tourism too.

So, who makes the choice on who this apolitical mythical creature will be ?

If it's the Government of the day, there are vested political interests......
If it's by an election, there will be vested political interests !

Do we just play musical chairs until the last one standing is President ?
Cross party commision & commitee to choose candidates, vetting procedures with full transparency of vested interests, affirmation referendum.
Clearly I've not thought this through (took me about 10 seconds) but it is not beyond the wit of man, unless of course your political bias is to preserve and defend the status quo, in which case you've got to be a bit of a knob given the state of this country.

"Above all, the existence of a hereditary monarchy helps to prop up all the privilege and patronage that corrupts our society; that is why the crown is seen as being of such importance to those who run the country - or enjoy the privileges it affords."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.