coronation street tonight

bluesmith said:
davymcfc said:
I watched it last night and it pissed me off. Had never heard the phrase before but it's hardly offensive. You hear a lot worse put it that way.
Insinuating black people aren't honest will clearly be offensive to a lot of people.
The way it was said wasn't racist though. In my eyes racism is all about intent. If he actually intended to offend or demean someone because of the colour of their skin then I would understand.

davymcfc said:
bluesmith said:
davymcfc said:
I watched it last night and it pissed me off. Had never heard the phrase before but it's hardly offensive. You hear a lot worse put it that way.
Insinuating black people aren't honest will clearly be offensive to a lot of people.
The way it was said wasn't racist though. In my eyes racism is all about intent. If he actually intended to offend or demean someone because of the colour of their skin then I would understand.
Thoughtless rather than racist imo

davymcfc said:
bluesmith said:
davymcfc said:
Whether it is meant in a racist way is irrelevant, the phrases origins means its racist. Ignorance isnt an excuse.

Bluebee2 said:
That show was developed to help the integration of Black people into this country, Jack the main racist character was always on the losing side every episode with his usually his neighbours and his Wife laughing at him and his stupidity, think about it !

I think you have hit the nail on the head there....Jack always came across as a bigot stuck in the 1960's......even his friends in the pub took pity on him.

Can't ever see a similar show being shown these days though...."Mind your language" was another comedy, with teacher Barry Evans (rip) battling to keep apart rival racists in his class....
Turks v Indians v Pakistanis etc.....

bluesmith said:
davymcfc said:
bluesmith said:
Whether it is meant in a racist way is irrelevant, the phrases origins means its racist. Ignorance isnt an excuse.
In magaluf they have the lucky lucky men that sell glow sticks and sun glasses. They shout "chicken nugget, you want to buy glow sticks?" Somebody explained to us that when they call us chicken nugget it means cheap white meat. We just found it funny to be honest. It's not particularly offensive and there isn't really any malice involved.

I understand racism is a very touchy subject. We live in a multi cultural society where generally there isn't much racial tension (compared to years gone by). Incidents like these just make mountains out of mole hills in my opinion.

davymcfc said:
bluesmith said:
davymcfc said:
In magaluf they have the lucky lucky men that sell glow sticks and sun glasses. They shout "chicken nugget, you want to buy glow sticks?" Somebody explained to us that when they call us chicken nugget it means cheap white meat. We just found it funny to be honest. It's not particularly offensive and there isn't really any malice involved.

I understand racism is a very touchy subject. We live in a multi cultural society where generally there isn't much racial tension (compared to years gone by). Incidents like these just make mountains out of mole hills in my opinion.
I disagree I think incidents like these show people who thought it was ok to make mildly racist comments that its not and can and does cause offense.

bluesmith said:
davymcfc said:
bluesmith said:

I disagree I think incidents like these show people who thought it was ok to make mildly racist comments that its not and can and does cause offense.

That's why it's in the show, same as when someone commits a crime in soaps they never get away with as they would show folk that you don't get caught.

Don't tell Rex Kramer about this thread xD

On a serious note, never watched it and care even less about that show.
The acting is so wooden and shit it's cringeworthy.

All these soaps, see em with kids, never fall and bash their knee.
Never a peep out of them and these 20ish slags on the soaps are the worst offenders.

Debbie in emmerdale for a starters, fucking useless.
Or that useless fucking slapper in coro with a baby or is their 2 of them ?
Either way its shit tv and should be banned and all cast members slapped with a large trout.

i should add a lady made me watch these and it was not of free will.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.