Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure that Pfizer have stated that it is as effective against the SA variation as it is against the original strains. AZ is less effective in terms of preventing infection but still very effective against severe illness.

Not been peer reviewed yet, and they do acknowledge a slight drop off, but yes the Pfizer one does appear to be effective. They’re already working on the booster, too.
https://www.politico.eu/article/biontech-pfizer-vaccine-should-work-against-virus-variants-study/

Tbf, I don't think the positivity from Kolchinsky increases any as the thread goes on.

Hope you're doing well btw.
Thanks mate.
Way better but still horrible cough & not gaining my full energy.
Suspect it will be a couple of eeeks before I run again but I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes longer.

Woke up this morning with a bloody sore throat but tad run down from the weekend.
Hope you are too mate?
Oooh, look at you on first name terms with Jonny.
Ha....made me chuckle.

Not been peer reviewed yet, and they do acknowledge a slight drop off, but yes the Pfizer one does appear to be effective. They’re already working on the booster, too.
https://www.politico.eu/article/biontech-pfizer-vaccine-should-work-against-virus-variants-study/
All very confusing.

It was only a few days ago that Novovax said their vaccine was 60% effective against the SA variant (I think it was 49% if you did not adjust for AIDs patients). ANd then we get the reports of a very ineffective Astrazeneca vaccine.

I would find it surprising if there is a big difference between vaccines that target the spike protein but on face value that is what these reports suggest. This needs to be investigated.

All very confusing.

It was only a few days ago that Novovax said their vaccine was 60% effective against the SA variant (I think it was 49% if you did not adjust for AIDs patients). ANd then we get the reports of a very ineffective Astrazeneca vaccine.

I would find it surprising if there is a big difference between vaccines that target the spike protein but on face value that is what these reports suggest. This needs to be investigated.
The article.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01270-4

Thanks mate.
Way better but still horrible cough & not gaining my full energy.
Suspect it will be a couple of eeeks before I run again but I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes longer.

Woke up this morning with a bloody sore throat but tad run down from the weekend.
Hope you are too mate?

Ha....made me chuckle.

I'm doing good mate. Smell has returned this week, so that was around 4 weeks without that sense. Been working and getting out and about and feel good. Perhaps some anxiety, I've no idea if that's a direct cause from the virus or an indirect impact on my state of mind tbh. Hard to explain, heart feels like it's racing sometimes. Still to try a run myself but I'm putting that down to sheer lazyness now, I'm out of the habit and finding it difficult to try and start getting back into...i will eventually ha!

Glad you're on the mend mate, all be it the lingering cough etc must be frustrating. Hopefully it eases up, in sure it will in time. The current cold snap won't be helping either I'd think!

Media reporting is really bad. That mutation is similar to the SA variant but it has occurred independently in the UK variant.

I doubt people are going to be able to keep up with this. We have genuine conflicting reports over different vaccine effectiveness against the SA variant. Nothing that was said today in the press conference that was supposed to dispel doubts about the SA variant addressed this. It is important to establish if the Astrazeneca vaccine seriously underperforms the other vaccines. I would doubt that very much but if you take the headline reports that is what it being claimed. This presumably explains the decision of the South African state.

Tested positive Friday, only been out a handful of times in 10 months, must have got it off the Mrs who tested positive Wednesday after symptoms Tuesday.

No symptoms for me, are they likely to start this late after catching? Not seen Mrs since Tuesday and can only have caught it off her on Monday or Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.