Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fella at work, not a young buck, but not knackered either…an otherwise fit and healthy 50 something got it. He has lost 75% of his lung capacity, has to use oxygen full time and cannot walk more than about 10-20 yards without feeling tired and out of breath. Career over, life as he knows it JS over, and there’s some thought amongst those who know how active he was that this might be a fate worse than death unless he can get a successful lung transplant.

We have heard PLENTY of stories of young athletes, those expressing the least concern, dropping and never recovering before dying. My own son (21 at the time) had a few symptoms last March. Told him to get in bed, get some rest and call me if he has any breathing difficulties, because 15 months ago, that was the only thing you could take someone to hospital far, as they didn’t even have the TESTS in the ER (A&E) to confirm you had it! Sure enough, at 2 in the morning he phoned me from the other side of the house saying he can’t catch a full breath!

Now, this is a lad who benches 300lbs, played Wide Receiver in school for the Football team, and broke track records!

10 minutes later we were in the ER and they were taking chest x-rays. Pneumonia…in an otherwise perfectly healthy young man! COVID!!

Doctor literally told us to go home, quarantine and take EVERY precaution not to spread it. She literally told us, “You do not want to go upstairs in the COVID ward, it is full of old people waiting to die and gasping for every breath. Go home, take care of yourself, but get back here ASAP if you REALLY can’t breathe and I’ll admit you!”

It’s not to be trifled with…by anyone, any age, even bulletproof lads who think they are immortal!

Yes I get all that you’re not trying to convince me. But anecdotes of isolated incidents are unlikely to fundamentally change the risk perception against the backdrop of Covid (generally) being a disease of the old and vulnerable. I guess using my drugs comparison above, it’s the same as every time there is a devastated parent on the news due to an overdose or a bad reaction urging people to be careful, it doesn’t really change anything.

Anyway this is just cluttering up the thread I hope you get the point and I still think people should get jabbed because it’s the right thing to do and that miniscule rare threats (side effects or covid itself) should not really come into it.

Fella at work, not a young buck, but not knackered either…an otherwise fit and healthy 50 something got it. He has lost 75% of his lung capacity, has to use oxygen full time and cannot walk more than about 10-20 yards without feeling tired and out of breath. Career over, life as he knows it JS over, and there’s some thought amongst those who know how active he was that this might be a fate worse than death unless he can get a successful lung transplant.

We have heard PLENTY of stories of young athletes, those expressing the least concern, dropping and never recovering before dying. My own son (21 at the time) had a few symptoms last March. Told him to get in bed, get some rest and call me if he has any breathing difficulties, because 15 months ago, that was the only thing you could take someone to hospital far, as they didn’t even have the TESTS in the ER (A&E) to confirm you had it! Sure enough, at 2 in the morning he phoned me from the other side of the house saying he can’t catch a full breath!

Now, this is a lad who benches 300lbs, played Wide Receiver in school for the Football team, and broke track records!

10 minutes later we were in the ER and they were taking chest x-rays. Pneumonia…in an otherwise perfectly healthy young man! COVID!!

Doctor literally told us to go home, quarantine and take EVERY precaution not to spread it. She literally told us, “You do not want to go upstairs in the COVID ward, it is full of old people waiting to die and gasping for every breath. Go home, take care of yourself, but get back here ASAP if you REALLY can’t breathe and I’ll admit you!”

It’s not to be trifled with…by anyone, any age, even bulletproof lads who think they are immortal!
Couple of fit lads on here my age - early 40s - have ended up severely debilitated. This is a nasty little disease. Bloodclots. Inflammatory overloads. Neurological damage.

Most don't suffer heavily. But plenty do, and there's millions with symptoms over a month later. Some who didn't even need hospital may never be the same.

Sure, you are confident you won't die. Even confident no-one you know ended up in hospital. But nah, you don't want to take your chances with this one. You really don't. Crazy anyone thinks otherwise.

I mean, I've had plenty of bugs. And my health wasn't perfect. COVID, when I had it, wasn't anything like as unpleasant as gastro enterisis. Nowhere near. Not anywhere near glandular, which I had as a kid. I mean, I was up and about. Not great, but... I hate colds. I've had worse times with unidentified colds. Much worse than the week or two of fatigue and feeling rubbish. But colds come and colds go.

What I've never had was a cold or flu - or anything - that left me with months of ulcers, skin problems, unstable temperature, racing heart, months later. Distinctive headaches. Sore throat and a callous in my nose that ached and dripped for months. I still get red eyes. Feel my lungs burning up.. Stomach pains. A year later. A year!

Yes, I'm pissed off that my AZ arm still aches very gently every so often. Yes, I would have preferred one of the other Jabs. But it's a small price to pay. I really don't fancy putting my body through another round of the real thing.

Delay got to happen now...gutted but its the right move I'm afraid. @Healdplace you said this was coming a while back..data not dates
Sadly yes this has been increasingly inevitable. I cannot imagine any other decision now. They will not try to reimpose local lockdowns as they must know these will not work now.

GM today was not great numbers with almost everywhere up and SIX boroughs in three figures today (Bury today added to the usual ones of Bolton, Manchester. Salford, Stockport and Wigan over 100). Manchester even topped 300 today - highest GM score in months.

GM had a bigger contribution to the NW numbers today also. Cases in the NW were up 341 day to day to a new record of 2317.

GM was up 207 of that 341 - which is over the recent percentages contributed.

Week to Week - however - NW is up 562 and GM rises by 246 of that number - which is actually a little better than expectations.

So the week to week rise is lower than it might have been. Unsurprising given so many areas in the NW are now contributing to the daily numbers.

Italy halts az vaccine for under 60s after 18yr dies of rare blood clot

We are over 600,000 dead and untold millions who have had it, many of whom don’t even know, but they were well capable of spreading h it!

That’s the insidious part…you dint have to feel sick to be contagious, and you’re most contagious BEFORE you even get sick!

While family here vaccinated. I got J&J single dose from the airline and wife and 2 adult kids did the Pfizer & Moderna 2 dose regimen.

Wife and son went to a facility run by the State, but operated by the military. They said if ALL Govt worked that efficiently, the country would be in brilliant shape. In ANF out in under 10 mins for my wife, as I waited in the car. Everything done by QR code they give you after signing up and signing all the medical docs.

They scan your QR code at the door, check the info against your State issued picture ID (usually drivers license), and send you to a vaccination station. That person scans your QR code again, asks you a few medical questions (are you feverish, hacking cough, listless, short of breath?…COVID symptoms!). Answer “No,” get a jab within 20 seconds and you’re handed your second appointment on the spot. You dint even have to sign up again, they do it all for you!

I didn’t even have time to find a decent parking spot in some shade before she texted me she was coming out!

I’m proud to hear our REAL President has promised 500 million doses of the vaccines to the world to hopefully save hundreds of millions of people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.