Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If continuous booster shots can’t prevent the need for restrictions or even possibly a lockdown in a more extreme scenario what hope do we even have ? People keep saying “stop fretting, it won’t be forever” but seemingly nothing we do is good enough in the long run. Hospitals eventually get overwhelmed regardless and we’re back into a depressing rut again. The virus has no boiological reasoning or pressure to lessen its lethality so we’re just stuck as we are pretending that everything will be okay when seemingly it won’t. Wish I could just disappear until this thing stops in its tracks and then reappear all of a sudden back into a better world.

Of course. You simultaneously claim to be the only truthful person and that scientists advocating more restrictions (most of them) are liars.

Perfectly consistent.
Sums up the nonsense the scientists are spouting. Lauding their boosters and confirming it's a lesser variant and then advocating restrictions. Go unpick their logic.

Sums up the nonsense the scientists are spouting. Lauding their boosters and confirming it's a lesser variant and then advocating restrictions. Go unpick their logic.
The logic I assume is if it is far more infectious many more people will catch it and a much higher percentage of 67 million people needing help even if no more dangerous still could swamp the NHS mid Winter. And kill others by default. So you try to slow down the rapid expansion to even it out over the winter and save lives.

When your testing 5 times more than Germany you pick up more cases than Germany.
We also decided to have more immunity in the community in the autumn than many EU states by lifting restrictions in the summer.
I believe this has worked as it will show by the end of the Omicron wave.

so you think Germany has had the same level of cases as us since July? Really?

Reasons for what we did is beside the point. The point I was making was about us “not being in the pandemic anymore” which is nonsense, of course we are and I pointed out We were the EU epicentre for months which we were.

England hospital numbers have risen on a Wednesday by the way for the first time in some weeks. Only by 26 to 6053. But more evidence the tide is turning. Very slowly is the good news so far. Only NE & Yorkshire (by 10) and North West (by 7) fell and did NOT go up today. All the southern regions did.

I don't think the vast majority who are against more restrictions are calling scientists liars at all. I've got no doubt they completely believe everything they are saying and giving an honest appraisal of the situation based on their expertise. These people are obviously extremely educated and at the top of their disciplines and their epidemiological views are quite blatantly worth considering.

However, their views are patently going to revolve around solely what is best for the epdidemiologic situation and they have no remit, brief or requirement to consider the whole host of other variables that these restrictions impact on (economic, social, societal, educational etc etc). It's like if you asked someone whose only interest and role was to prevent people being run over by cars - they could quite legitimately suggest banning all cars....

There are a number of people who are fixated by covid to the point of tunnel vision and only see things through that prism. It has always been obvious new variants would appear on a regular basis and so to lockdown and have restrictions every year is not a realistic strategy. I am a big advocate of the jabs and they MUST be our way out but like the annual flu jab, this is not going away and we can't hide away every year.

Most people will get their jabs, happily have their boosters and consider that to be a fair mitigation and do a cost-benefit analysis vs a disease which isn't the deadly plague many seem to think it is. If you turned the TV off no one would even know about at all this panic.

Vaccines will always be chasing the tails of new variants and so there has to be an exit strategy. Zero covid is gone so it can only be jabs and carry on with life imo.

I agree with almost all of that.

The reality of the last paragraph, however, is that *if* something like omicron pops up, assuming our current understanding of it is correct, we *will* have restrictions.

The choice we may end up with is whether these restrictions are planned (mask up, work from home, etc) or forced (people die as hospital treatment is restricted).

People will be naturally optimistic and in favour of jabbing and carry on regardless, until it's their relatives dying at home.

I'm going to do a @Summerbuzz and take a few days off here now.

If continuous booster shots can’t prevent the need for restrictions or even possibly a lockdown in a more extreme scenario what hope do we even have ? People keep saying “stop fretting, it won’t be forever” but seemingly nothing we do is good enough in the long run. Hospitals eventually get overwhelmed regardless and we’re back into a depressing rut again. The virus has no boiological reasoning or pressure to lessen its lethality so we’re just stuck as we are pretending that everything will be okay when seemingly it won’t. Wish I could just disappear until this thing stops in its tracks and then reappear all of a sudden back into a better world.
Spanish flu was probably 1917-1921.

These things take years to fizzle out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.