Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah apologies jim. What a fucking carry on this covid shit is.
No sweat. And it wasn't aimed particularly at you. I'm sure you saw several posts on here that were not much more than political point scoring. We get regular complaints about such posts derailing the thread. That's why a dedicated thread was created in the politics sub forum.

I do accept that until there is a "cure" or a way of preventing initial infection for life then whilst we have to "learn to live with Covid" that is a loaded statement that comes with conditions and caveats.

Think of all the other things we live with. We have vaccines etc that prevent things like smallpox and polio but these things can still be out there. The way we can control them is with vaccines - thats how you live with them.

From time to time there are outbreaks of nasty shit in parts - often exotic parts - of the world and there is travel advice issued or even travel bans issued by the host nation or our own FCO.

Sometimes despite everything people get sick with stuff like ebola and bird flu and so on and then measures are taken to isolate and treat them away from the rest of society to try and prevent spread.

Now - when you speak to the deniers they say we have to learn to live with it - they don't mean any of the above they mean just ignore everything - make like its June 1990 or something and you should go around unmasked - ignore calls for vaccinations - travel wherever and whenever you want whatever a potential host nation thinks and ignore the advice of health practitioners - thats not learning anything thats just ignoring something and having faith it will just go away

I do accept that until there is a "cure" or a way of preventing initial infection for life then whilst we have to "learn to live with Covid" that is a loaded statement that comes with conditions and caveats.

Think of all the other things we live with. We have vaccines etc that prevent things like smallpox and polio but these things can still be out there. The way we can control them is with vaccines - thats how you live with them.

From time to time there are outbreaks of nasty shit in parts - often exotic parts - of the world and there is travel advice issued or even travel bans issued by the host nation or our own FCO.

Sometimes despite everything people get sick with stuff like ebola and bird flu and so on and then measures are taken to isolate and treat them away from the rest of society to try and prevent spread.

Now - when you speak to the deniers they say we have to learn to live with it - they don't mean any of the above they mean just ignore everything - make like its June 1990 or something and you should go around unmasked - ignore calls for vaccinations - travel wherever and whenever you want whatever a potential host nation thinks and ignore the advice of health practitioners - thats not learning anything thats just ignoring something and having faith it will just go away

Completely disagree with the last paragraph mate. It’s lazy, stereotypical nonsense I’m afraid.

you were fine to the last paragraph. There are the majority who don't want a booster who simply have doubts that having jabs every 3 months when there's no concrete, conclusive need or benefit to not be worth the potential risk. The other vaccines work, by well, working. You don't get jabbed for smallpox every 3 months because it, well, works.

The reality is people who have had 3 jabs are now trying to fawn their anxious consciousness off on people who haven't because they've taken the plunge with no concrete scientific evidence to support it, so come on and try and put it on normal people to try and rationalise their decision and make themselves feel at peace with it. All in the face of another illogical lockdown they were promised wouldn't be necessary when they had the first 2 of the same jab that lasted half as long as they were promised.

We get you guys are doubtful and anxious, but you've made your choices and you're the guinea pigs for normal people who want scientific proof, and a whole lot more than last time given we were lied to.

My mate lost his business and I used to work with a guy who threw himself off a bridge in the middle of the first and longest lockdown.

Im with you on the vaccines but let’s not pretend there’s fuck all collateral damage with lockdowns.
Quite right. You can usually tell the ones with a garden and some spare space in the house, for whom working from home is no issue whatsoever. (As long as the delivery drivers, doctors, nurses, bin men, supermarket workers, and people who run takeaways don’t say “bollocks to it, I’ll stay at home as well!”)

Try to put aside your own feelings on the matter and think logically for a moment.

Why have the Dutch government ordered a lockdown?
Why are SAGE advising that further measures are necessary?
IF the government do act on SAGE’s advice, why will that be?

The answer to all of the above is because they THINK that there is a real possibility, however unlikely, that health systems may be severely compromised. That’s what it’s always about. It is a nightmare scenario that no government wants to face. They may not give a damn about you as an individual, but they sure as hell don’t want to be the ones making horrendous decisions when the time comes.

The less measures people take, the more likely the above scenario becomes.

Some People on here seem to be 100% convinced that the ability of the NHS to treat people will not be compromised. I don’t know how they can be so sure to be honest.

My son and his girlfriend (both 22) got their boosters today as walk-ins at a pop up centre in Salford Quays. No queue whatsoever so it might be worth seeing if a pop up will appear near you rather than trying a regular site.
And yet many over 65’s still can’t get an appointment and 90%+ of sub Saharan Africa haven’t had one yet. I’m not having a pop at your lad there but we do seem to have got our priorities a bit skewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.