Courtney Meppen Walter

akcity said:
jimharri said:
bluwilpgs said:
Yes I agree with the principle but by that argument anyone who does 60mph in a 30mph zone should be treated the same. The fact that the result of his actions resulted in two deaths is incidental. Your argument is based on the result of his actions which could happen to anyone driving in the same manner.
And if ''anyone'' (your word) else was caught doing the same thing, I'd expect them to get the same treatment and the same condemnation. The fact (no ifs or buts) is, he was doing twice the speed limit for the area in which the tragic accident took place. And, through no fault of their own, two people have died due to this idiot's actions. As far as I am aware, no one was holding a gun to his head forcing him to drive so recklessly and dangerously. Therefore it was a conscious decision on his part to drive the way he did. In my opinion, he has got off bloody lightly. I have no sympathy for any person who acts in such a selfish and irresponsible manner.

Sorry, but amongst all the tragedy in this story you are simply factually incorrect. Whilst its easy to jump on the bandwagon of blame, it can't be forgotten that the driver of the Nissan pulled out when it clearly wasn't safe to do so.

Blameless? No. Regardless of what speed he was doing, she shouldn't have pulled out. Was she looking? she clearly misjudged the speed that he was doing. If there was no loss of life then she would have been entirely at fault under Insurance Law - it would have been up to the Police to prove speed and to then decide whether to charge him under the Road Traffic Act [1984].

A lot also jump on the speed issue. Yes he was going far too fast, that can't be defended, but to read some on here it wouldn't have been too bad if he was only doing 40mph. That speed is in itself, enough to kill someone. That is why the speed limit is 30mph on a lot of Britain's roads in built up areas.

If anyone drives over the speed limit for the road that they are driving on, you risk the fact that you could kill someone, especially if they we to randomly pull out in front of you.

Yes it's right he has been punished but that is only due to the unfortunate loss of life, not because of the speed and so next time anyone becomes moralistic, just remember, the next one really could be you - regardless of how much above the speed limit you drive.

He will be given another chance by someone, he has to be under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act [1974].

To clarify, I am in no way defending his actions, just pointing out how any one of us that 'speeds' could find ourselves in the same situation...very easily.

If any good can come out of this, it must be that when everyone is aware of the facts, it should make everyone a more cautious driver.
You are partially correct. Yes; the driver of the other car pulled out, which they shouldn't have done. However; did the court (or the police) not say say that if CMW hadn't been travelling at the speed he was (twice the limit remember), then the collision wouldn't have taken place? Also, when driving you are supposed to both drive within the relevant limit for the road you are on and also ensure that you are travelling at such a speed so that you can stop in the clear distance ahead of you at any given time. Idiots will pull out in front of you, unfortunately. You have to be able to stop. Otherwise, why is the emergency stop procedure in the driving test?

jimharri said:
akcity said:
Sorry, but amongst all the tragedy in this story you are simply factually incorrect. Whilst its easy to jump on the bandwagon of blame, it can't be forgotten that the driver of the Nissan pulled out when it clearly wasn't safe to do so.

Blameless? No. Regardless of what speed he was doing, she shouldn't have pulled out. Was she looking? she clearly misjudged the speed that he was doing. If there was no loss of life then she would have been entirely at fault under Insurance Law - it would have been up to the Police to prove speed and to then decide whether to charge him under the Road Traffic Act [1984].

A lot also jump on the speed issue. Yes he was going far too fast, that can't be defended, but to read some on here it wouldn't have been too bad if he was only doing 40mph. That speed is in itself, enough to kill someone. That is why the speed limit is 30mph on a lot of Britain's roads in built up areas.

If anyone drives over the speed limit for the road that they are driving on, you risk the fact that you could kill someone, especially if they we to randomly pull out in front of you.

Yes it's right he has been punished but that is only due to the unfortunate loss of life, not because of the speed and so next time anyone becomes moralistic, just remember, the next one really could be you - regardless of how much above the speed limit you drive.

He will be given another chance by someone, he has to be under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act [1974].

To clarify, I am in no way defending his actions, just pointing out how any one of us that 'speeds' could find ourselves in the same situation...very easily.

If any good can come out of this, it must be that when everyone is aware of the facts, it should make everyone a more cautious driver.
You are partially correct. Yes; the driver of the other car pulled out, which they shouldn't have done. However; did the court (or the police) not say say that if CMW hadn't been travelling at the speed he was (twice the limit remember), then the collision wouldn't have taken place? Also, when driving you are supposed to both drive within the relevant limit for the road you are on and also ensure that you are travelling at such a speed so that you can stop in the clear distance ahead of you at any given time. Idiots will pull out in front of you, unfortunately. You have to be able to stop. Otherwise, why is the emergency stop procedure in the driving test?
Of course the collision would not have happened. It wouldn't have happened if he was doing 80mph either. But the point is both parties made a mistake that day, that contributed in a tragic accident. CMW was more in the wrong because driving at close to twice the speed limit isn't a quick mistake. But even though doing 57 in a 30 is ridiculously stupid and more likely to cause an accident. Anyone that has ever driven over the limit could potentially find themselves in a similar position.
I wouldn't dream of doing 57 in a 30, however I am guilty of doing 40 in a 30. But I can't say I'm ok but he was wrong to do that.

Freestyler said:
I have no sympathy for him whatsoever in the slightest, no excuses.

Some footballers don't know what they've got, until it's gone.

Huge wake up call for everyone.

Wow,

I wouldn't have sympathy for you either...

Roll On City said:
Freestyler said:
I have no sympathy for him whatsoever in the slightest, no excuses.

Some footballers don't know what they've got, until it's gone.

Huge wake up call for everyone.

Wow,

I wouldn't have sympathy for you either...
Am I missing something?

bluwilpgs said:
Davs 19 said:
bluwilpgs said:
Yes I agree with the principle but by that argument anyone who does 60mph in a 30mph zone should be treated the same. The fact that the result of his actions resulted in two deaths is incidental. Your argument is based on the result of his actions which could happen to anyone driving in the same manner.

You need to go away and have think. Fucking terrible thing to say.

Perhaps you have misunderstood what I am saying? If the circumstances had been different, the car had not pulled out at that time, he had delayed his journey etc. etc. the deaths would not have occurred. As horrible and regretful these deaths are, they are a result of chance. What I am trying to convey is that anyone driving in this manner could cause an accident with the same result, so should that not be how this crime is judged?

If I shoot a gun at someone and miss it's still attempted murder, therefore I would be charged with attempted murder. If I drive my car at 58mph in a 30mph zone I get a fixed penalty and 3 points on my license unless I am involved in an accident of this nature.

I hope this makes sense as I am just trying to give a sense of perspective to the argument, hence my 'incidental' comment. These people were killed because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and as the result of CPM actions.

He is not alone in the stupidity of his behaviour and actions, but at the same time he should not be isolated as a result of them.

I am speaking as someone who has lost someone as a result of a car accident caused by someone else so I am not trying to make excuses or exonerating CMW actions. Its just my personal opinion - to which I am entitled.

Try doing 58 in a built up area with a 30mph zone - not a chance it would just be treated as a fixed penalty and 3 points. The only way the near 30mph over the speed limit gets treated as FP & 3 points would be Motorway, Dual Carriageway or trunk road. So clearly you have demonstrated your lack of knowledge of the UK driving laws and so you have clearly made your opinion redundant.

It's a pretty awful situation for all concerned. Obviously the fact that people have lost their life is tragic, but I have sympathy for CM-W as well. I've driven at those speeds before and never imagined I would have crashed let alone ended up in jail for it.

Kids do stupid things, and it's an awfully harsh lesson learned. Priority now for him will be doing his time and then getting his life back on track.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.