COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were a few things deeply worrying about that interview.

1. The guy - our deputy chief medical officer - was a grade 1 pompous and patronising twat.
2. His comments saying we should only consider to what to do after the lock down has been successful at some time in the future, was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. What a total moron. We should be preparing NOW for what we do after the lockdown. What if in 3 months time we decide we need capacity to do 50,000 test per day? We could have lost 3 months or perparations to get to that level if we only start considering it in 3 months. Fucking bellend. It's wankers like him who lost us precious weeks with their "herd immunity" shite. Which, because numbers muliiply by 10 every 2 weeks, probably means 10x more people will have died as could have done, were it not for that fuck up.
3. Seems he's not even right about the basics, and got it wrong about the test.

Dear God, with people like that in charge no wonder we're in the shit.
Agreed. People defend them because they are experts in the field so must be right and Peston must be wrong because he’s Peston.

The argument is literally “but he’s an expert”. So what? It’s experts that are driving us deeper into this mess.

ok good news. Thought was longer. Was hoping the curve downwards would start on 3 weeks. Seems it must be longer.

I think timescales can be perceived badly - it's only been two weeks since the work-from-home idea was widespread.

I thought the hope was that the infection curve, and thus hospitalisation rate, would slow; this is skewed by not knowing readily how many need hospital, as the 'number of positive tests' is not a good measure.

I would think the deaths would take longer to peak, as those hospitalised are often going to be kept in a long time, with more arriving each day than being discharged.

There were a few things deeply worrying about that interview.

1. The guy - our deputy chief medical officer - was a grade 1 pompous and patronising twat.
2. His comments saying we should only consider to what to do after the lock down has been successful at some time in the future, was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. What a total moron. We should be preparing NOW for what we do after the lockdown. What if in 3 months time we decide we need capacity to do 50,000 test per day? We could have lost 3 months or perparations to get to that level if we only start considering it in 3 months. Fucking bellend. It's wankers like him who lost us precious weeks with their "herd immunity" shite. Which, because numbers muliiply by 10 every 2 weeks, probably means 10x more people will have died as could have done, were it not for that fuck up.
3. Seems he's not even right about the basics, and got it wrong about the test.

Dear God, with people like that in charge no wonder we're in the shit.
If it is as you say then it sums up our whole approach. Delay after delay presumably to get it right then choices that have at the best been incorrect or too late. At the worst would bring on conspiracy theories, thanks CB for this post.

But George says all experts are correct and we should shut up and listen.

To be fair, we were arguing they should be in the Brexit thread, for several years.

I was willing to give them the benefit of doubt in the beginning, as what’s the point in having them if you’re not going to use them? But I’m now feeling like they got it wrong and 2020 will be a very bad year, made worse by some of these people.

It’s astonishing how the world was so unprepared for this, when the medical profession, specifically epidemiologists in certain areas, were saying a pandemic was inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.