COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
the assumption always being that immunity for a sustained period was a given.

This is the assumption because we have studied thousands of viruses, including the most closely related to Covid19, understand how they work, how antibodies work, and can predict that it will work like every other virus.

The WHO has adopted an odd role of throwing out odd, scary information to make people keep taking this seriously, IMO because they're desperately tying to make up for their pathetic initial response which will end up costing hundreds of thousands of lives. They also did this noticeably when they started talking about the virus mutating into a more deadly form - something which is theoretically possible, but every virus we've ever studied has mutated into a weaker strain.

The fact is we have mapped enough viruses to know with a high degree of certainty that you will get a decent period of immunity, and after that a longlasting partial immunity. We can't confirm it until enough time has passed because it's a ten to twenty year process, but we can safely assume it based on everything else we know.

Coronavirus hospital deaths in the UK have topped more than 10,000 as 657 more people die in England.It brings the total number of deaths of people who have tested positive for COVID-19 to 10,532

The latest figures do not give a true picture of fatalities overall, as they do not include deaths in care homes.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-hospital-deaths-in-uk-top-10-000-11972242

What the fuck is happening,life has changed so much in a few weeks,my head is spinning

Karen, as horrifying as this all this, this is now the most predictable stage - death cases are going to be high for next week or so whilst infection rates stabilses and drops and death rates will follows.
There’s nothing anyone can do now, except isolate and stay safe.

Good point.
One of the reasons flu strikes when it does is that people get less vit D in the winter.
When I lived in UK I was an out patient at MRI. Out of the blue they tested my particular condition for vitd and found out I simply did not make any via the usual sun + cholesterol method. Told me they were then (5 or so years ago) checking for it and found quite a few people like me and not associated with anything they could say was. a pattern.
Not sure if that UK study has changed but even though I now live in normally sunny Southern Spain and despite taking quite high doses of vitd am only just on the normal band following blood tests.
Seems it is very important for organ repair and immune systems and regularly gets noted for its medical importance.
In short I think PC may well be onto something and its importance in attenuating CV progress in its targets.

Humans with darker skin in colder climates get less Vitamin D, even on hot sunny midsummer summer days with 17 hours of daylight, than humans with whiter skin. Wonder if that has had an impact on these figures?

I can’t find any British studies on people with darker skin and VitD but here are a couple of Yank ones with problems African-Americans have with VitD deficiency:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16549493

https://www.livescience.com/amp/20910-vitamind-black-americans-cancer-disparity.html
Vit D deficiency is an issue with this virus. Regardless of ethnicity. But yes, darker skin people living in this country should probably take vit D supplements outside of the summer months. It's bad enough for pale kinned people. Hell since we've all Slip, slap, slopped up to the max in the sun we probably all need it.

This is the assumption because we have studied thousands of viruses, including the most closely related to Covid19, understand how they work, how antibodies work, and can predict that it will work like every other virus.

The WHO has adopted an odd role of throwing out odd, scary information to make people keep taking this seriously, IMO because they're desperately tying to make up for their pathetic initial response which will end up costing hundreds of thousands of lives. They also did this noticeably when they started talking about the virus mutating into a more deadly form - something which is theoretically possible, but every virus we've ever studied has mutated into a weaker strain.

The fact is we have mapped enough viruses to know with a high degree of certainty that you will get a decent period of immunity, and after that a longlasting partial immunity. We can't confirm it until enough time has passed because it's a ten to twenty year process, but we can safely assume it based on everything else we know.
I think i rather go with her,i have watched her say twice this week,it is a new virus,they cannot just say it is like all the other ones so we will assume immunity,they need to test us now,in six months,in a year,18months,only then can they be certain,do not lead people to assume anything,that is bad info to put out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.