COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we think tomorrow will be THE day as far as deaths go?
We've had a long bank holiday weekend, and where as Tuesday is normally the high number day, tomorrow should be the day when the numbers catch up.
So if the figures are high, they are to be expected.
Or have they already added some of the weekend deaths?

I'm hoping that after tomorrow, things start to look a little better. I know there won't be a sudden downturn in numbers.
But it is time we should be seeing some effects of the restrictions. Fingers crossed that as the week goes on we do see some positive signs.

The hope is that it’s the end of this week that’s the peak, due to the different speeds of reporting figures - hopefully we see a true levelling off in the next two weeks and the start of a drop. - god knows what if not however

I'm working around the clock so don't bother with the news much. Is this slowing down yet? I got some Facefuck messages that say steam kills the virus. Seems like a load of crap. Is this just random shite going around or any truth to it!?

The hope is that it’s the end of this week that’s the peak, due to the different speeds of reporting figures - hopefully we see a true levelling off in the next two weeks and the start of a drop. - god knows what if not however
I think the UK briefings are really poor, particularly in terms of the data. If you watch the New York presentations from Cuomo -typically around the same time of day - they have much more useful figures that break down the data inside the hospitals so you can see:

Total patients Hospitalised, Total numbers admitted each day, total discharged, Intensive Care unit numbers, New intubations

That means that this qualitative split in the progress of the epidemic between infection, incubation, symptoms, escalation, conclusion can be quantified and you know where you are. New Yorkers know their deaths will start to decline because the numbers of newly intubated patients is rapidly falling.

We have some data on hospitalisations but it's nowhere near at the same level of detail and all we're really told is that there are green shoots.

Just catching up with this now. If you had a very obvious cause of death such as jumping out of a plane or been shot in the head/stabbed there is not usually post-mortem blood analysis performed. There are exceptions to this for instance if you were erratic or deranged in the events leading up to the death they might well check for drugs/alcohol as a way to explain the persons state of mind.

This might happen in the case of someone who jumped out of a plane to commit suicide. It is unlikely that a COVID 19 test would take place as even if the person had it, it did not cause their death. The point of an autopsy and coroners court is to identify the cause of death, in the cases above the cause are obvious. Some coroners/pathologist, definetly not all, may want further information on the victims state of mind so would investigate if drugs/alcohol were taken beforehand.

I see some people asking if you had cancer and got COVID 19 and died with it would that be counted as a cause of death. That is still a little unclear, if you had complications from a underlying disease and you got COVID 19 and this resulted in your death then yes that would be counted.

One thing I should say from speaking with ICU nurses and doctors it is usually quite obvious to identify the people who are suffering from this. The description given to me is that they tend to have a grey pallor, shortness of breath, severe cough and bloodshot eyes.

Cheers mate, it’s always an education.

If ever I wanted to get away with murder, I know who I’d come to for advice.

Mentally. It’s the lack of end in sight that I find the most difficult to deal with. Plus having to deal with a stir crazy 9 year old, trying to work at home and dealing with a puppy!

Must be tough but primary schools should be amongst the first back.
Once they announce their ‘deconfinement’ strategy, people will have an understanding of what can happen and when, but that will have to be flexible.
Just spoke to people in Wuhan, and the relief on their faces after months of strict confinement was telling.

The fact there's still over 5000 new infections in Spain today blows my mind. The country has been shut down for 4 weeks. Of course health care workers would still pick up infections so it was never going to be zero but 5,000 sounds ridiculously high when such strict restrictions are in force. Not good news that it's still happening at that rate and paints an even worse picture of how things will look when some restricitions are lifted.

How do you define a restaurant though? I suppose you could apply it via the use category (A3) but it’s not as simple as that over here. Plenty of pubs (A4) are de facto restaurants. I think it will be late June/early July before we see that sector being relaxed.
I agree. restaurants, bars, clubs should be last in the queue.

My brother is out in New Zealand. They've had a handful of deaths but are in total lockdown but he welcomes it. Not everyone has the same traumatic experience and hence probably feel more in control and more confident.

The ideal would be rapid tests throughout the country that millions could access repeatedly. The US is getting near to that. When that's in place I think it will enable semi-normality. The lockdowns are unsustainable in the long term from an economic point of view and that can't be discounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.