COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
so UK's death toll is 75% higher than being reported at present?
Well - it was 75% higher than reported at that time. We'll have to wait and see what happens going forward, but it shouldn't be anywhere near 75% as far as my understanding goes. I've heard estimates that it's likely running anywhere between 10% and 25% below. But it might even out altogether - figures were lagging badly, but that has improved. We'll just have to wait and see.

It all gets reported but in different ways,we get hospital figures every day,the ONS is just once a week,the figures from the ONS are debatable i think,drs can do death certificates for patients in care homes without even seeing them,patients aren't tested so it is down to each dr to decide if it is put on the death certificate,myself i take those figures not literally
Of course-those reasons will be used by politicians so as to keep the real figures down-after all it reflects on them and their decisions.

Has it been mentioned that AstraZeneca are starting a trial using a different tack?

Rather than trying to stop the virus having an effect, they're trying to stop the body immune response going into overdrive and causing the respiratory problems using a drug that's used to do the same against cancer.

If it works, I think this could have a significant effect on the very ill.

It all gets reported but in different ways,we get hospital figures every day,the ONS is just once a week,the figures from the ONS are debatable i think,drs can do death certificates for patients in care homes without even seeing them,patients aren't tested so it is down to each dr to decide if it is put on the death certificate,myself i take those figures not literally
TBH both figures are debatable. The daily count is lagging, so the long range counts definitely ought to be a more accurate figure for a given time period. If a death certificate mentions COVID 19 as the underlying cause of death, that's pretty definitive. If anything, we're saying even that figure underplays the number of lives lost. I am pretty angry about it, because presenting people with a confused and conflicted range of figures lessens the impact and meaning of them. I don't really know if there's anything in them that says I should be optimistic or not. It clouds the whole issue, which impacts decisions people make around their personal safety, adherence to the restrictions, and the public debate about what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.