COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Telegraph reporting that 500,000 will have been vaccinated by this weekend and that next week we will be at 200k per day.

They also say they understand that the MHRA is waiting on some data from the Oxford vaccine group which is expected on Monday with Whitehall expecting the MHRA to approve it on Dec 28th/29th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-55372241

They go on to say that the vulnerable groups are expected to be vaccinated by March.

The cost to the business, and the country to Covid is incalculable so once an easily distributable vaccine is available, expect an unprecedented campaign.

The US will also get out of this very quickly because the Moderna vaccine has been approved. And that requires -20 C storage which will enable them to distribute their vaccines quickly. It's difficult to understand why the UK did not acquire the Moderna vaccine in large numbers (unless they knew that Moderna would prioritise the US).

Think that was me mate. Not quite that, but this was it I think? From this article: https://www.newstatesman.com/scienc...vaccines-could-rapidly-reduce-uk-s-death-rate

View attachment 6869

So if we can vaccinate a million a week, with 10 to 20% vaccination rate cutting fatality risk by 71 to 86%, we're looking at ca. 10 weeks until fatality risk from covid is reduced by >80%.

In an ideal situation I expect. Available doses probably a limiting factor.

Great yet Christmas still carries on ! I read the other day police had to break up people trying to get into a pub in London, and as I said yesterday its getting out of control around here (SE). I thought in tier 3 you couldn't make unnecessary journeys, so in effect the SE is already cut off. I think that article just shows how ineffective the guidelines are. People around have been ignoring the guidelines for months now. I cant remember ever seeing any shop with someone on the door stopping people without masks.

My son has done it as his shop but he comes home so fed up and angry because of all the abuse he gets when he stops someone. These people that wouldnt wear masks tend to be the horrible gobby part of society.

I have worked with only a few days of this year, and as each day goes by now I am getting more and more concerned for my family safety. We have followed all the guidelines, but because I work amongst the public, son in a big shop and sons gf in intensive care. The way alot of the public behave in this area we are getting seriously worried that one of us could catch it even following the guidelines and bring it into the house where my missus is a diabetic and is having tests because her immune system is down abit. Sorry to rant on but I've had enough of these bastards not following guidelines.
Wankers, we really need to make it the law and police it better. Feel sorry for retail staff, most on minimum wage and being asked to challenge an aggressive dickhead is beyond the call of duty.

Wankers, we really need to make it the law and police it better. Feel sorry for retail staff, most on minimum wage and being asked to challenge an aggressive dickhead is beyond the call of duty.
Totally agree. Totally unacceptable that people are being challenged, often aggressively when trying to look out for others.

Those that turn on people for asking them to wear a mask should be identified (cctv) and punished

Agree I have told my son if they push through dont bother stopping them, you are not trained security. It isnt not worth getting into a fight, or physical trying to stop these people, just let them in.

I've just read the Telegraph article and they say that the mass vaccination roll out starts in the first week in January using sites at football stadia etc. This will be using the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine as currently four million doses are reported to be ready but Astra Zeneca have said they can produce a further fifteen milion doses in days (I reckon they are producing them already as it is clear it's going to be approved). Regardless of the relative efficiency rate compared to say the Pfizer vaccine the Oxford vaccine had no-one hospitalised or dying in any age group even if they did get Covid. There is also evidence (not proof yet) that it reduces transmission, which would be very significant.

Regarding vaccine orders, the government had to spread the risk as no-one knew which vaccines in development would work and they have done a great job actually in picking winners. Obviously having a UK option is a huge advantage so it's going to be full steam ahead in a couple of weeks. Health centres, pharmacies, hospitals, drive through sites and so on will get through the most at risk groups very rapidly.
It is good news so I am pleased you find it credible too.

I think most people could have selected the winners but the UK placed early orders when others waited.

Italy is to go into a new lockdown for much of the Christmas and New Year period to tackle a rise in coronavirus cases.
Bars, restaurants and non-essential shops will close between 24 and 27 December, New Year's Eve to 3 January, and 5 to 6 January.Italians will only be allowed to travel for work, health or emergency reasons.

I've just read the Telegraph article and they say that the mass vaccination roll out starts in the first week in January using sites at football stadia etc. This will be using the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine as currently four million doses are reported to be ready but Astra Zeneca have said they can produce a further fifteen milion doses in days (I reckon they are producing them already as it is clear it's going to be approved). Regardless of the relative efficiency rate compared to say the Pfizer vaccine the Oxford vaccine had no-one hospitalised or dying in any age group even if they did get Covid. There is also evidence (not proof yet) that it reduces transmission, which would be very significant.

Regarding vaccine orders, the government had to spread the risk as no-one knew which vaccines in development would work and they have done a great job actually in picking winners. Obviously having a UK option is a huge advantage so it's going to be full steam ahead in a couple of weeks. Health centres, pharmacies, hospitals, drive through sites and so on will get through the most at risk groups very rapidly.
Even better news if the efficacy rate in extended testing on the half dose/ one dose shot is 90+%.
In fact the delay in submission for approval must have been for this extended sample testing ( sample number and wider age range) ?

Italy is to go into a new lockdown for much of the Christmas and New Year period to tackle a rise in coronavirus cases.
Bars, restaurants and non-essential shops will close between 24 and 27 December, New Year's Eve to 3 January, and 5 to 6 January.Italians will only be allowed to travel for work, health or emergency reasons.

Goes to show the difference in compliance we would be up in arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.