Crystal Palace PL (H) Post match thread

I said before the season started that a shite rest in pre season would have a major say on this season with injuries and tiredness. A lot of that team were dead on their feet after 65 minutes yesterday and Peps total refusal to bring on fresh legs was baffling. All these games we've played this last 3 or 4 years have caught up with us, especially with the injuries we've had which has meant we couldn't rotate. We need to go into that transfer market in Jan and buy a left back and a midfielder with some dynamism. If we don't halt this ridiculous giving leads away, then a champions league place let alone first place is at risk. :(

Just watched the highlights on motd this morning. The two goals we conceded are criminal. Piss weak defending by Dias and Ake for the first, both manhandled and bullied like school kids. For the second it's just utter nonsense. Foden dribbling into a pile of bodies and losing the ball, then Bernardo doing a Cruyff turn on the touchline and losing it leading to the penalty. We are fucking about taking unnecessary risks with seconds to go and going half heartedly into challenges as if it's a nothing training game. We are coasting on the back of winning the treble and have forgotten the fight, sweat and mental toughness that won it for us. Lazy and slipshod all over the pitch. We need to fucking wake up and quickly.

Walker couldn't be arsed to run back if you watch the replay and the penalty he is the captain and he was in the better position to get the ball and shield it from the palace player! Letting foden take the responsibility is not captain material...

How can anyone boo off our team? Please can someone explain that to me?
Treble winners, 3 PL titles in 5 years. More trophies in the past few years than we saw in 30 odd years. Did they cheat today, did they deliberately injure an opposition player? Did they do something I didn’t hear about?
Thank you
Puzzled and Bewildered from the Principality of Eccles.
The fans were dire self entitled. Not interested not vocal. This team of world class stars needed our support to lift them over the line. We bossed that game with some good football played at times. The fans start leaving on 80 minutes. Around me I saw multiple fans on their phones. This is an amazing team sadly I can’t say of the home crowd.the away crowd are brilliant.

Yet more self-inflicted pain yesterday.

I keep questioning whether it's one of the three things below;

- The 10% isn't there mentally at the moment (not aggressive enough in the boxes)
- Injuries and the patchwork nature of our team throughout this season
- Players just worn out

Palace were incredibly deep, but arguably well set up. We did the hardest part, which was establishing a two goal lead. They were still time-wasting in the 76th minute before the first goal!

Pep often says he won't make changes because the players are doing ok, or controlling the game. At 70 minutes we were in control, but there was a clear complacency setting in, on the pitch and in the stands. That ridiculous phone light thing (which we've had in the past from groups of kids on a school trip in a CL dead rubber) and our football just went off a cliff, playing in a dire horseshoe shape - Dias to Ake, Ake to Gvardiol and the back the way to Walker.

There was a time to make changes, maybe Kovacic and Nunes to either alter the defending Palace had to do, or give us more running power. Rico had done well, but we weren't causing them problems anymore. After his goal we barely had a shot.

The first goal is dire - play into the big man and work off him, no pressure on the ball and then Walker & Dias allow them into the space for the cross.

Once that went in, we lost control of the game. Palace were getting out too easy, made subs to give them impetus and then got their break with the penalty. Stupid giveaways from Foden & Bernardo and caught out yet again.

I don't think you can't go through a PL game making minimal changes anymore - other teams will make 5 subs and change the game. Look through this season - even Bournemouth at 4-0 down brought on reasonable quality and went for it.

We did have another midfield and attack combination yesterday, but there was depth there to make subs across the pitch.

There is a definite complacency at the moment - remember Pep and his 'happy flowers team' comments? It's worth looking up, because we're in the same spot now.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...all-news/pep-guardiola-man-city-news-26103284

I really struggle with the exodus at 38-40 minutes and on 90 minutes yesterday. We were 2-1 up in a must-win game, yet people just left in droves. But the players and the crowd work from each other - is it the dire football from 70 minutes that forced that, or just a general complacency across all of us?

Pep, the players and the supporters - we all need that fire back.

We are all fed up this morning but to quote a famous BBC classic. " Don't worry Rodney, this time next week we will be World Champions."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.