D-Day - Student Protests in London, 09/12/10

nashark said:
without a dream said:
The 'I'm alright fuck the rest' attitude in this thread is staggering.

This. Fucking heartless pigs. Imagine if a university-educated doctor said "fuck all you ***** who supported those who left me with a lifetime of debt, you'll be getting no help from me. Fuck the rest". I think the world would be a better place.

Anyway, I posted this last night, and will do so again until people realise the situation:

This really is incredible. Even more incredible is the fact that I have to spell it out for some.

A party posing as 'liberal' presents a manifesto which states explicitly that, should they get into power, tuition fees would be abolished. Fastforward a few months, the said party is in power, and not only do they support, they propose a policy which is diametrically opposed to the one on their manifesto which got them elected.

The proposal put forward seeks to increase tuition fees to such a point where there will be many young, intelligent people - who are potentially vital to our future society - deterred from becoming educated by an enormous, lifetime cloud of debt. That's not even mentioning that certain factors of this policy will ultimately lead to the privatisation of higher education where only the rich are entitled to go to the best universities and take the best degrees.

Put in basic terms, the state are using students as a scapegoat for the foibles of capitalism by charging them more than the natural and actual cost of a degree.

So, moving forward to 6:00pm, proposals which are nothing less than political warfare on those who strive to have greater inteligence have been implemented in an outrageous obfuscation of democracy. The people, who realise that every single member of the electorate has been cheated, are very, very unhappy. Fuelling this unhappiness is the fact that unelected, above-the-law, tooled-up men cage them up like animals in complete contravention of Article 5 of the European Convention on Human Rights. What do the people do? What can the people do? They cannot go the toilet. They cannot get water. They cannot get food. They cannot even vote for a party who will stick by their manifesto.

So the people riot.

They riot because they have witnessed a fascist, oligarchic coup d'etat which affects every single member of society - even you.

Yet you sit at home, slagging them off, and pick up on a few idiots who decide to desecrate statues of Churchill and the War Dead to strengthen your argument on emotive grounds. But you forget that the only reason these men are venerated is because of their violent stance on fascism - d'ya see where I'm going with this?

So, next time, think about what you write, and ask yourselves, am I up to discussing such a subject without making myself look like a grade-A c,unt?

Until then, I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Edit: By the way Bluesmarties, I fully support your work.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auzfTPp4moA[/youtube]
Tune.

MCFC BOB said:
[
So, next time, think about what you write, and ask yourselves, am I up to discussing such a subject without making myself look like a grade-A c,unt?
Apparently if you spell your name write on the cnut exam you get a grade A just for that.

I've graced this thread at the start, left out the middle bit and carried on for the latter pages.

What's new??? It is always the rich students who have it easy - whatever the generation. People from families with low incomes have always struggled at university. This is not a new phenomena. Students being anti establishment is nothing new, Students being rowdy in protest is not new. Anyone remember students in the mid 80's during the last conservatative government? This is nothing in comparison.

For all those students who are shouting from the roof tops about the fees and about being unhappy - may I ask you this --> did you vote tory? did your parents vote for tory? did your friends and familiy vote for tory, did you vote for tory? If you answered yes to any of these questions then, you have no right at all to protest - have a go at the bunch of people who endorsed these cuts in the first place. The tories were elected with a mandate for cuts, cuts and more cuts. Maybe you didn't vote and that gives you no right to protest to the government whatsoever.

As I say to friends in the public sector - you are a turkey who voted for christmas. You gave the tories the mandate to do this... As for the rationale for the cuts - to fix the national debt, bla bla bla - this is a spin. We have had a national deficit for many many years now. Even going back to the thatcher days...

What you are all paying for is the aftermath of the banking crisis. The government paid billions to rescue the banks, and this is what we are initally trying to fix alongside the fundamental principles of conservatism which does not like the size the public sector. It is too big, up to 70% of our workforce in the UK works in the publc sector (this includes education, police, NHS, etc). A few tories have gone on record to say they would prefer the public sector to be cut to around 40% and the remaining to kick start the manufacturing industry... (source BBC documentary).

Get wise to this because if their plan works, we will make a vast amount of low paid workers to move into a new era for our manufacturing industry - how else are we going to compete with cheaper foreign items and bring new money into the economy. I also predict that the benefits system will change to support this too.

Then, we have the other fundamentals of conservatism... tax cuts. How can the tories deliver siginificant tax cuts if we need all the money in the national purse to pay for the public sector.

So back to the students, nothing personal but, next time round vote sensibly and wisely.

bluesoup said:
For all those students who are shouting from the roof tops about the fees and about being unhappy - may I ask you this --> did you vote tory? did your parents vote for tory? did your friends and familiy vote for tory, did you vote for tory? If you answered yes to any of these questions then, you have no right at all to protest - have a go at the bunch of people who endorsed these cuts in the first place. The tories were elected with a mandate for cuts, cuts and more cuts. Maybe you didn't vote and that gives you no right to protest to the government whatsoever.
Nope; I voted Liberal Democrat, my mum voted Labour and my dad doesn't bother. Fortunately in my constituency they had no chance anyway but their stance on tuition fees is hardly new. For them to make a pledge to not vote for a fees increase is hardly outlandish by their standards given they've always taken this line. This wasn't what their core vote had when they put the cross in the box; for them just 7 months down the line to completely abandon their flagship policy, the one they wheeled out in every University seat. The highest deception, on a par with what Woolas did in Oldham. They just sat back and let the Tories get their own way. Besides, on this point I've learned my lesson and vowed never to vote for them again. I am now a member of the Labour party.

General point for other posters: don't let the Tories fool you into thinking these are primarily deficit-reducing measures. The fact that they have cut the teaching budget by 80% and cut funding entirely to humanities and social science subjects (which don't forget, many of the MPs sitting in there studied, eg Cameron studied PPE) suggests these were ideologically motivated, not practically motivated. If the cut in the teaching budget had been in line with other government departments we'd have seen a much lower increase. That I would've been able to stomach, but £9000? It's regressive, unfair and watch as the accessibility of University education shifts back into the hands of the wealthy.

bluesoup said:
I've graced this thread at the start, left out the middle bit and carried on for the latter pages.

What's new??? It is always the rich students who have it easy - whatever the generation. People from families with low incomes have always struggled at university. This is not a new phenomena. Students being anti establishment is nothing new, Students being rowdy in protest is not new. Anyone remember students in the mid 80's during the last conservatative government? This is nothing in comparison.

As I say to friends in the public sector - you are a turkey who voted for christmas. You gave the tories the mandate to do this... As for the rationale for the cuts - to fix the national debt, bla bla bla - this is a spin. We have had a national deficit for many many years now. Even going back to the thatcher days...

What you are all paying for is the aftermath of the banking crisis. The government paid billions to rescue the banks, and this is what we are initally trying to fix alongside the fundamental principles of conservatism which does not like the size the public sector. It is too big, up to 70% of our workforce in the UK works in the publc sector (this includes education, police, NHS, etc). A few tories have gone on record to say they would prefer the public sector to be cut to around 40% and the remaining to kick start the manufacturing industry... (source BBC documentary).

Get wise to this because if their plan works, we will make a vast amount of low paid workers to move into a new era for our manufacturing industry - how else are we going to compete with cheaper foreign items and bring new money into the economy. I also predict that the benefits system will change to support this too.

Then, we have the other fundamentals of conservatism... tax cuts. How can the tories deliver siginificant tax cuts if we need all the money in the national purse to pay for the public sector.

So back to the students, nothing personal but, next time round vote sensibly and wisely.

I voted Tory Bluesoup, you obviously didn't yet I agree with you on the two key points - if you didn't vote shut the f*ck up, the system is there for YOU! the second is that the cuts are required because the debts are not sustainable

Halfpenny said:
bluesoup said:
Nope; I voted Liberal Democrat. Fortunately in my constituency they had no chance anyway but their stance on tuition fees is hardly new. For them to make a pledge to not vote for a fees increase is hardly outlandish by their standards given they've always taken this line. This wasn't what their core vote had when they put the cross in the box; for them just 7 months down the line to completely abandon their flagship policy, the one they wheeled out in every University seat. The highest deception, on a par with what Woolas did in Oldham. They just sat back and let the Tories get their own way. Besides, on this point I've learned my lesson and vowed never to vote for them again. I am now a member of the Labour party.

General point for other posters: don't let the Tories fool you into thinking these are primarily deficit-reducing measures. The fact that they have cut the teaching budget by 80% and cut funding entirely to humanities and social science subjects (which don't forget, many of the MPs sitting in there studied, eg Cameron studied PPE) suggests these were ideologically motivated, not practically motivated. If the cut in the teaching budget had been in line with other government departments we'd have seen a much lower increase. That I would've been able to stomach, but £9000? It's regressive, unfair and watch as the accessibility of University education shifts back into the hands of the wealthy.

For the record. I voted liberal democrat but, unfortunately it appears that they have no influence whatsoever in governement. This is such a dissapointment however, I will never vote for labour in my lifetime. I'd rather mar my voting slip in protest.

As I said and you alluded to this too halfpenny, their motivations are not just about cutting our deficit.

For the record. I voted liberal democrat but, unfortunately it appears that they have no influence whatsoever in governement. This is such a dissapointment however, I will never vote for labour in my lifetime. I'd rather mar my voting slip in protest.

As I said and you alluded to this too halfpenny, their motivations are not just about cutting our deficit.[/quote]

but Bluesoup, doesn't this drop you into the "don't vote-don't complain" category. If you can't trust Libdem, won't vote Labour and disagree with Conservatives what's left?

Ronnie the Rep said:
bluesoup said:

As I said and you alluded to this too halfpenny, their motivations are not just about cutting our deficit.

but Bluesoup, doesn't this drop you into the "don't vote-don't complain" category. If you can't trust Libdem, won't vote Labour and disagree with Conservatives what's left?
A spoilt ballot is technically a vote cast, in that you do not agree with any choices offered to you. It is still included in turnout so he will have voted.

Ronnie the Rep said:

No it doesn't - marring a voting slip is recorded as 'I voted for nobody' and if enough people do it then it is a legitimate protest. Not going at all is much worse and does fall into the category 'don't vote-don't complain'.

As for what's left - I'll leave that decision until the next election. I happen to like my Lib Dem MP for what he does locally so, I have a political dilema... arghhhhh!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.