Dani Alves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not precious but i think it's ridiculous to suggest they wouldn't know who we were prior to 2008. They might not know the clubs entire history but they'll certainly be aware we exist. They're professional footballers, their entire life is football and always has been, i'm confident the vast majority of footballers when growing up would have been well aware of every premier league team and a few more in England. Back when we were shit we were probably best known for being Uniteds closest rivals than anything else so there's probably a lot of people that grew up knowing us purely as that but they still knew of us.

Alves had never heard of Sevilla before they bought him, and he grew up watching Barcelona because of Ronaldo and Rivaldo. I think you're severley overestimating how many midtable teams these guys have heard of.

So far the only arguments I've seen against it are:

1. He's 34 and must clearly be over the hill.
2. Years and years ago he made a comment that insinuated City aren't a big club.
3. Reminds me of another signing we made that didn't work out because tenuous reasons.

That even a few would turn down one of the consensus best fullbacks in football for such inane non-arguments is, frankly, embarrassing.

giphy.gif

+1

I must agree for me it's a go. I really don't wants us to close the door on Maffeo; if Alves can give us two years until our boy is ready I am all for it.

On another note he is a right bastard but he will be our bastard. Enough of us being gentlemen when everyone keeps taking the piss with us... sign him up

Perhaps it won't appear so strange if the signing came once the other full backs were signed?

Pep....

"They are waiting for your mistake to punish you. They can play and have a lot quality but they defend so compact and wait to punish you behind your full-back, and we don't have full-backs to go up and down, up and down, because all of them are 33, 34 years old, so I adapt with the quality of players.

"Last games we played with Jesus and we attack a lot with the full-back, but Pablo, Sagna, Kolarov and Clichy - all of them they are more than 33 years old and they don't have the legs to go up and down. That's why I prefer they play in other positions."

I guess I just don't like short term stopgaps

I guess this is whats in the back of my mind as well......many question "whats in an age" but clearly Pep mentioned the "age thing" on a few occasions....my problem isnt just that he's 34 but that he's not the long term answer to the long term problems most have seen at Fullback, for the last few seasons. I agree mate.....if this signing happened "after" Walker/Mendy it would feel completely different....its a short term stopgap that still leaves us questions but I guess we just need to have a little patience, to see the whole plan for the position come together!;)

I like Alves ...he only said he didn't know we existed because he was having a pop at his opponents...i think the interview was before we played Barca in the CL

Yeah I just saw a post on twitter (I'll link it) that said during the Manchester derby's he actively roots for City... Some people on here are acting like he's a rag

Alves had never heard of Sevilla before they bought him, and he grew up watching Barcelona because of Ronaldo and Rivaldo. I think you're severley overestimating how many midtable teams these guys have heard of.

I don't believe that either. These things often get lost in translation or are taken too literally. how many times have you used the phrase "never heard of them" but didn't mean it literally? Paul Merson claimed he had never heard of Yaya Toure when we signed him despite him winning the champions league, obviously he had. If ge grew up watching Ronaldo and Rivaldo playing at Barcelona he almost certainly saw them play against Sevilla. He may not have been overly familiar or cared about them but he'd have heard of them.

Anyway, enough of this. He'll be an absolutely immense signing, honestly the most excited about him than any other player we've either signed or been strongly linked with so far this summer.

I know they are opposite sides but if we get Alves and Chelsea get Sandro I don't think thats helped in closing the gap.

If he is mates with Sanchez and we get Sanchez as a result then that's different

he'd be a good signing, but i can't imagine he'd want to be a rotation full back with say walker. i think hes a bit of a twat tbh swell ( all the diving especially), but as long as he plays well ....

I know they are opposite sides but if we get Alves and Chelsea get Sandro I don't think thats helped in closing the gap.

If he is mates with Sanchez and we get Sanchez as a result then that's different

Let me understand you here do you think he is going to be our number 1 rightback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.