Dani Alves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, ask them, maybe they're referring to getting knocked out every year by getting beat on counterattacks all the time? Ring a bell? Do you remember how miserable our fullbacks and defenders looked this season on these counterattacks? That's why we need first class, pacey fullbacks and defenders to play his game.

Yes, and I said I welcome Alves for what he brings as long as he's not our main FB and we get our priority targets for fullbacks.

I don't care about Walker. It could be Walker, Sandro, that Porto player I forgot his name, Mendy. I wanna see it done. I don't wanna see them go to rivals while we think they're 3 million too expensive because good fullbacks are rare and our rivals need them too, and that's not Walker. Who's that Porto guy that Spurs were gonna replace Walker with? It could be him too. I don't care.

Everytime I read about Sanchez and Mbappe I think "we have ZERO fullbacks and 3 CBs and Kolarov.

That's why we need first class, pacey fullbacks and defenders to play his game.

Hmm, yes, like Alves...

If you're going to keep throwing a hissy fit because the signings aren't done in the exact order you wish them to be, perhaps just try taking a break until August, because the deals will be done as and when they can be, not on the order that is most likely to placate hysterical fans who can't wait 3 weeks for the squad to be put together.

Also, if you watched any European football during the time you'd know Bayern's semi-final defeats under Guardiola were more to do with the catastrophic injury lists, which as pointed out above clearly weren't his fault as Bayern are the only club he's suffered them in, and the only club who have a nutjob private holistic medicine doctor treating the players.

But considering the lack of critical thinking skills you've shown over the last few posts I don't suppose I should be surprised you missed that as well.

Nobody has ever said we'd only be signing Dani Alves, so this is just a red herring. You preface arguments against him with "I'm not against him" then act frustrated when called on it.

I'm not frustrated when I'm called on it because my very first post on it said Dani Alves is fine as long as we get our priority targets.

Dani Alves isn't what I'm arguing about here, the other targets are.

Frustrated when called upon Dani Alves? No.

Frustrated about not being aggressive on our would-be-main targets? Definitely.

You mean the way defenders play at say, Barcelona? The club Alves played at a year ago?

Also, you do know Juventus often played him as an AMR, including in the CL final, right?

Yes, or as a wingback, with world class defenders behind him in a team renown for their defending tactics. Hands down. We don't play like them and we don't have those defenders either, where are they?

Alves at Barca was different, he was younger, faster. Again, I don't have a problem with him as long as we get our other targets. Then he'll be great for 25-30 matches on rotation as long as we sign other targets.

Sam Lee and everyone else claimed we were targeting Sandro, then Mendy, Walker. Now I'm reading that the negotiations hit a dead end because of how much their clubs are asking, so suddenly Dani Alves appeared. That's what I'm not happy with. Not if we think 40m is too much for Mendy when Chelsea are offering 60m for Sandro. Why aren't we even going after Sandro if he's available, he's one of the best fullbacks out there?

You get someone like that, you don't look back for a few years.

@rollingnakedinmoney I think you're following the media narratively a little too literally. The reality is that City are still trying to sign the same list of key targets they were a month ago. Walker, Mendy, and Bertrand are on that list of key targets along with Alves. The fact that Alves' name has only just been linked publicly in this window doesn't have any baring on other targets. Just means that somebody somewhere has gotten wind of Alves agreeing the move to City and leaked it to Marca ( that's where the story originated ).

I appreciate that may feel like we're not being "aggressive" enough with our targets but I want you to step back and consider something. Pre season training is 3 weeks away. So there is patently no IMMEDIATE rush to get players in today/tomorrow. Gives the club some room to negotiate with selling clubs.

I've said this before but I think sometimes the club can't win. They're constantly being accused of overpaying for players, but then as soon as a transfer window opens, there's also people demanding the club pay whatever it takes. My own take on it - and it's pretty simplistic but it makes the point - is that it's easy if you're only signing one or two players to overpay. But when you have a marketplace like the one this summer where the cost of every transfer potentially has an inflationary effect on the next transfer, it stands to reason that every club will negotiate as hard as they can to get the best deal they can.

There's so many games being played right now between clubs, agents, etc.

DE JA VU MAICON ANYBODY?
Personally talk of Maicon is wide of the mark.
Firstly he was already considered a bit more past it than Alves when he arrived.
Secondly his big problem was injury shortly after he joined us

Thirdly he was bought mainly as a wing back to go with a back three that Mancini gave up on fairly quickly.
Fourthly on the few occasions he did play he wasn't actually to bad but Zab was a lot better so he didn't play much.

The main reason we have not moved on to be the successful team we should have been .is the ability to buy players who are in some cases not an improvement on what we have sold

DE JA VU MAICON ANYBODY?
I think it's previously been said that Maicon's game was built on strength and speed. He lost that suddenly and wasn't the player he was. Alves seems by all accounts has this in abundance still.

Frustrated about not being aggressive on our would-be-main targets? Definitely.

Who said City aren't being aggressive on their main targets? You? Sounds like "old man yells at cloud" syndrome to me.

Yes, or as a wingback, with world class defenders behind him in a team renown for their defending tactics. Hands down. We don't play like them and we don't have those defenders either, where are they?

Now you're just moving the goalposts. You claimed he didn't have the pace to bomb up the wings as would be required for a Guardiola-style fullback. Now you are questioning his defensive ability. Meanwhile, you seem to think our squad has some sort of identity that eludes even Pep.

Alves at Barca was different,

Alves at Barca was one year ago.

he was younger,

By one year.

Again, I don't have a problem with him as long as we get our other targets.

Despite quoting a long list of problems you have with him, most of your own invention, you still maintain you have no problem with him.

Then he'll be great for 25-30 matches on rotation as long as we sign other targets.

I agree, but I thought he's too old, too slow and doesn't have good enough defenders behind him?

Sam Lee and everyone else claimed we were targeting Sandro, then Mendy, Walker.

Sandro and Mendy are left backs, so are therefore irrelevant to the discussion.

Walker is still a target, as per Sam Lee.

Now I'm reading that the negotiations hit a dead end because of how much their clubs are asking, so suddenly Dani Alves appeared.

And you think the club, with access to unlimited resources, will make do with only Dani Alves this summer after letting so many defenders go? Or is it possible that, on June the 19th, things might take just a little bit longer to get sorted than what you'd like?

That's what I'm not happy with. Not if we think 40m is too much for Mendy when Chelsea are offering 60m for Sandro. Why aren't we even going after Sandro if he's available, he's one of the best fullbacks out there?

Maybe Pep likes Mendy more. What then?

You get someone like that, you don't look back for a few years.

You're going to want to not look back at this thread for many years to come, I can assure you.

----

The main reason we have not moved on to be the successful team we should have been .is the ability to buy players who are in some cases not an improvement on what we have sold

Dani Alves, the FIFA right back of the year, is on par with Jesus Navas according to this expert opinion. Fuck me.

Hmm, yes, like Alves...

If you're going to keep throwing a hissy fit because the signings aren't done in the exact order you wish them to be, perhaps just try taking a break until August, because the deals will be done as and when they can be, not on the order that is most likely to placate hysterical fans who can't wait 3 weeks for the squad to be put together.

It's not about the a-b-c-d order they're done, it's about not getting them done because they're a few million too much when I fucking read Chelsea's name in a 60m bid for Alex Sandro and that he might be handing in a transfer request.

Are you fucking going to say that he wasn't a priority target when even Marti Perarnau says Pep wanted him since last year?

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/05/02...s-about-manchester-citys-plans-going-forward/

Then Sam Lee said Mendy is a priority target. Where's Mendy? He's not even as outrageously expensive as the other one, 40m is nothing in today's market. Cheaper than what they ask for Walker.

You buy a fullback or other player, you buy 'em best, so you don't have to look for upgrades every other year while searching for a place to loan your player because his wages are too high and no one wants to buy them. Haven't we been through this already? You buy the best now so you don't look back for the next 5 years.

Also, if you watched any European football during the time you'd know Bayern's semi-final defeats under Guardiola were more to do with the catastrophic injury lists, which as pointed out above clearly weren't his fault as Bayern are the only club he's suffered them in, and the only club who have a nutjob private holistic medicine doctor treating the players.

Only when they played Barcelona. What about Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid? They had a full team against them. I'm just curious, why such blind worship when we say we need better, younger, faster fullbacks and players?

Do you think, in your critical thinking mind, that we are against the club? I'm not the only one you're arguing here, you're like fighting everyone who's saying the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.