Dani Alves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with this. Kim Collins competed in 100m Olympics at 41. At other end of scale: Rooney and Yaya. But even players like Cafu, and Ronaldo are slowing up.

Alves also has a lot more to his game than just speed. When Zab lost his legs that was it. Alves has more to his game
Zaba never really had pace to begin with, so losing a yard takes you from average to slow, which is the death of a fullback. Alves has a lot more pace to lose before people start running past him like he's not even there (or doing an Ivanovic as I now think of it)

@rollingnakedinmoney I think you're following the media narratively a little too literally. The reality is that City are still trying to sign the same list of key targets they were a month ago. Walker, Mendy, and Bertrand are on that list of key targets along with Alves. The fact that Alves' name has only just been linked publicly in this window doesn't have any baring on other targets. Just means that somebody somewhere has gotten wind of Alves agreeing the move to City and leaked it to Marca ( that's where the story originated ).

I appreciate that may feel like we're not being "aggressive" enough with our targets but I want you to step back and consider something. Pre season training is 3 weeks away. So there is patently no IMMEDIATE rush to get players in today/tomorrow. Gives the club some room to negotiate with selling clubs.

I've said this before but I think sometimes the club can't win. They're constantly being accused of overpaying for players, but then as soon as a transfer window opens, there's also people demanding the club pay whatever it takes. My own take on it - and it's pretty simplistic but it makes the point - is that it's easy if you're only signing one or two players to overpay. But when you have a marketplace like the one this summer where the cost of every transfer potentially has an inflationary effect on the next transfer, it stands to reason that every club will negotiate as hard as they can to get the best deal they can.

There's so many games being played right now between clubs, agents, etc.

Ok mate I yield, I stop. I hope it's like you all are saying and we get our targets one by one. About taking the media narrative too literally, not that literally but what are we supposed to believe then. Ok maybe I'm overreacting too soon.

Now you're just moving the goalposts. You claimed he didn't have the pace to bomb up the wings as would be required for a Guardiola-style fullback. Now you are questioning his defensive ability. Meanwhile, you seem to think our squad has some sort of identity that eludes even Pep.

They don't play the way we do and not against the kind of physical pacey opponents that we do. They're as dominant in their league as Bayern are in Germany.

When they played against Barca, they didn't play as risky as we normally do. And when they played against Real Madrid he was ripped to shreds. I'm not against him, I welcome him as long as we get every single first choice priority target we have and not settle with Dani Alves because the clubs of our other targets are asking for too much. Pep's given enough money to buy whatever he needs. Ever since I read Sam Lee saying that he'll wait to see out Mbappe situation before taking care of defence, I've been getting nervous about how important he considers defenders should be.

Alves at Barca was one year ago.

I was talking about Alves years ago when he was in his peak. You have to remember that he'll decline more and more each year as he's 34, you can't really depend on him for an entire season. It's good that we have him, I consider him signed already, it's that we need someone else younger and pacey who's just as good.

That's why Juventus are letting him go for so cheap, they don't think he'll be a world beater by himself in the next 2 years.

And you think the club, with access to unlimited resources, will make do with only Dani Alves this summer after letting so many defenders go?

No I'm not, I read Sam Lee mention something, I explained above. There are other clubs which are in the market for the players we want too.

Maybe Pep likes Mendy more. What then?

If Mendy is who he wants, then he should get Mendy. I believe the 40m quoted for him is the cheapest among all of our targets. Cheapest! And he's the youngest of them all.

You're going to want to not look back at this thread for many years to come, I can assure you.

I hope I'll have to come back to this thread and apologize to all of you because I'd rather do that and see us get the best players out there.

After seeing Kolarov, Clichy, Sagna and sadly how Zaba slowly declined, and having to watch Navas and Fernandinho fill in for him, I think we deserve to have first class players.

Cheers.

He is an immense player and I think he still has 2 years left in him. I would bring Maffeo back as a cover and let Alves teach him about being a RB. Or bring in de Siglio. Not to keen on Walker...

So...more headless panicking at the speed of transfers, and then some more alternative facts about the CL games. The Atletico Madrid games where Boateng, Robben and Ribery were not fit for the leg they lost, for example, and then when 2 of those came back in the second leg...they won.

Boateng and Ribery played against Atletico. More alternative facts..

I forgot about Robben. He was out for so long. But he still had other players. Bayern have a huge squad with world class players everywhere. Real Madrid played Bayern without Bale and some other player yet they still kicked their arse and scored 6 on them.

That's how we should become with the money we have. Our bench option should be Dani Alves. They (Real Madrid) bring a kid from the bench who would walk in any big club's starting XI today. That's because they don't fret over a few millions when they see a player that they want. They see a player they want, they take him. Because in the long run, winning trophies and the champions league so many times brings them bigger financial rewards, not to mention how it increases their brand value and how any player in the world wants to play for them when they snap their fingers because they all wanna win. And all of their players have great resale value because they tend to offload most of them before they reach 34. They can sell Bale over 100m today, even Ronaldo.

Do you get the idea? So if there's a player that we want, we should just go get him when we have the money. It'll pay off when we win trophies.

[/QUOTE]...And by the way, from what i've seen in this thread, no one thinks the same as you. [/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm unique.

Last edited:
Boateng and Ribery played against Atletico. More alternative facts..

I literally wrote the exact details of when they played out for you...it's right there in my comment, the very part you quoted. They (those 3 key players) missed the first leg, which Bayern lost, and cost them the tie. 2 of them played the second leg, which Bayern won.

If your reading comprehension is so poor that you can't read simple sentences, what are you doing on a website based around written comments?

Our bench option should be Dani Alves.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT'S HAPPENING.

I am puzzled because no matter how hard i look I cannot find any negatives about this deal if it were to happen. If anyone who thinks different could enlighten me I would be most grateful. :-)

I literally wrote the exact details of when they played out for you...it's right there in my comment, the very part you quoted. They (those 3 key players) missed the first leg, which Bayern lost, and cost them the tie. 2 of them played the second leg, which Bayern won.

But couldn't stop Atletico Madrid from scoring on them. Atletico Madrid also missed a penalty in that match. That entire match played out like how Simeone wanted it to play out.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT'S HAPPENING.

We'll see. We all hope. We're waiting. If you can't stand different opinions, you should quit discussion forums and start a blog where only you write and everyone else reads.

There is a reason I used the word "suggests" instead of "says."

okay, it suggests nothing either. That's something you've thought up in your own mind. Maybe Pep does think Maffeo is the future, maybe he doesn't, who knows, but there's no way it would be of any consideration to him when he's looking at bringing in a new right back. Alves is the best right back in the world that's all that would be on his mind.

But couldn't stop Atletico Madrid from scoring on them. Atletico Madrid also missed a penalty in that match. That entire match played out like how Simeone wanted it to play out.

Oh, so now you've dropped the imaginary bollocks about them not missing players for the Atletico tie? Thought as much.

If you can't stand different opinions, you should quit discussion forums and start a blog where only you write and everyone else reads.

I love seeing differing opinions to mine, I like reading all the different views that can come from a hundred people watching the same match, I enjoy reading comments which disagree with my own.

What I'm not so keen on is people throwing a wobbly because things aren't unfolding exactly as they'd hoped, being told the reasons why their worries are unfounded, and then ignoring those to continue throwing a wobbly. Also not keen on the "Alternative fact's"/bullshit you pulled out of the air to try and back up your argument when pressed on it.

Half a dozen people have told you Alves coming doesn't impact on any other deals, that we're still going after Mendy and Walker. They've explained why he's available from Juventus for relatively cheap, they've said how he's not lost his pace and is clearly capable of performing at the highest level.

Despite all of those good comments, from people much more tolerant than myself, you've decided to just ignore them (literally ignore, often not even acknowledging their points) to carry on the same Chicken Little, the sky is falling because we're signing an old player as one of 4 fullback signings act...and yeah, to be honest I'm not a huge fan of that.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll all be thrilled by the end of the transfer window, it's just some of us will look back on their own hysteria over the order in which players were signed and be a bit embarrassed.

Last edited:
I am puzzled because no matter how hard i look I cannot find any negatives about this deal if it were to happen. If anyone who thinks different could enlighten me I would be most grateful. :-)

The negatives are most likely. 1) He is on a downward curve and this decline could turn out to be rapid. 2) He may take time to adapt to EPL time he does not have
3) Should he replace the purchase of a very good young full back we may find ourselves losing out in the long run. 4) Related to point 3 we will be back in the market sooner rather than later as he is unlikely to have more than 2 years at most left at the top. 5) Historically many of us can still remember Maicon and while not directly comparable there are similarities.
Now while I am still undecided about this potential deal there are certainly reasons why this may not be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.