Daniel Agger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Agger Bid

Matty said:
Agger is a really good player. my concern would be surrounding his fragile nature, he's seemingly constantly injured. He's never made more than 27 Premiership appearances in a season, in fact he's only managed more than 20 Premiership appearances in 2 of the last 5 seasons, that's just not good enough for a potentially £20m+ footballer.

It's a slight concern, but he's averaged about 30 games a season including cups over the last 4 years and we wouldn't really need him to play much more than that, with us already having Vinny and Lescott.

LongsightM13 said:
SuperYaya said:
I'd probably get excited if we got him, but right now I don't really want him. £22m is far too much for someone who isn't better than Lescott.
Lescott and/or Vinnie could do a cruciate on Sunday and be out for the season. Kolo is in decline, Savic not ready, Rekik not ready, Micah is not a centre half long term.
Why people only think in terms of 'first choice' for any position in the team is beyond me.
The fact we were able to rotate players last season helped to give us the best injury record in the league.
I would take either Agger or Skrtel, preferably the latter. Liverpool had the best CB pairing after ours last season, imo

Or alternatively Agger could do a cruciate, which seems more likely given his injury history, and we've wasted £22 million on an injured centre half who shouldn't be first choice even if fit.

hgblue said:

Swap Clichy for Kolarov and Tevez for RVP and we've got a deal.
I don't think Clichy crosses well enough. Better defender though.

Blue Phil said:
---------------------------------HART---------------------------------

-------------AGGER----------KOMPANY---------LESCOTT-----------

--RICHARDS-----------------------------------------------CLICHY---

-----------------NASRI----------YAYA---------SILVA-----------------

------------------------TEVEZ-----------AGUERO--------------------

This is just stupid considering Agger is left footed

taconinja said:
hgblue said:

With respect you should take a few minutes to watch the last 6 games of the Champs season, Clichy was instrumental in a large proportion of the goals many through good quality crosses.

gio's side step said:
Blue Phil said:

Brilliant point. Signing a left footed centre back would suggest that it's as a replacement for Lescott to compliment Kompany.

It might seem insignificant playing a left footed centre back on the right but it really isn't. Playing three at the back, ideally you'd want:

Right footed------Either footed-------Left footed

So incorporating Agger and Lescott into the same defence would mean Kompany playing on the right hand side, which is fine, but not ideal as you want the best CB playing centrally.

Again, might sound trivial, but I remember the game at home to Villa last season. The ball came over to the right hand side of the pitch and all Lescott had to do was boot it out, but his reluctance to use his right foot allowed Agbonlahor past him, who sprinted the length of the pitch and nearly scored.

blueyorkie said:
taconinja said:
hgblue said:

With respect you should take a few minutes to watch the last 6 games of the Champs season, Clichy was instrumental in a large proportion of the goals many through good quality crosses.
I watch them still. Often. He's not consistent enough for my tastes. If I could make a Mad Science hybrid of the two I would be ecstatic. As is I think they're both highly talented players with different strengths.<br /><br />-- Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:36 am --<br /><br />
BlueBilly said:
gio's side step said:
Blue Phil said:

Brilliant point. Signing a left footed centre back would suggest that it's as a replacement for Lescott to compliment Kompany.

It might seem insignificant playing a left footed centre back on the right but it really isn't. Playing three at the back, ideally you'd want:

Right footed------Either footed-------Left footed

So incorporating Agger and Lescott into the same defence would mean Kompany playing on the right hand side, which is fine, but not ideal as you want the best CB playing centrally.

Again, might sound trivial, but I remember the game at home to Villa last season. The ball came over to the right hand side of the pitch and all Lescott had to do was boot it out, but his reluctance to use his right foot allowed Agbonlahor past him, who sprinted the length of the pitch and nearly scored.
One thing I've noticed we do when we would last season is have one defender (CB or DM-type) mark the opposition striker. I suppose we could allow one of Agger or Kompany to do so and have the other two play more traditional CB roles (assuming teams play the lone striker up front and hoof it as they tended to last season.)

Murph said:
Matty said:
Agger is a really good player. my concern would be surrounding his fragile nature, he's seemingly constantly injured. He's never made more than 27 Premiership appearances in a season, in fact he's only managed more than 20 Premiership appearances in 2 of the last 5 seasons, that's just not good enough for a potentially £20m+ footballer.

It's a slight concern, but he's averaged about 30 games a season including cups over the last 4 years and we wouldn't really need him to play much more than that, with us already having Vinny and Lescott.

Looking at Agger, when compared to Komapny, and also his own defensive partner Skrtel, doesn't look good:-

Skrtel
2011-12 36
2010-11 49
2009-10 29
2008-09 30
2007-08 20
Total - 164 in all competitions

Kompany
2011-12 40
2010-11 53
2009-10 32
2008-09 45
2007-08 38
Total - 208 in all competitions

Agger
2011-12 33
2010-11 21
2009-10 36
2008-09 26
2007-08 6
Total - 122 in all competitions

That's a lot less games played than both of them for Agger and, in fact, apart from 2009-10 he's played less games, some times substantially less, every season. I don't think his brittle body should be underestimated here.

Matty said:
Murph said:
Matty said:

Looking at Agger, when compared to Komapny, and also his own defensive partner Skrtel, doesn't look good:-

Skrtel
2011-12 36
2010-11 49
2009-10 29
2008-09 30
2007-08 20
Total - 164 in all competitions

Kompany
2011-12 40
2010-11 53
2009-10 32
2008-09 45
2007-08 38
Total - 208 in all competitions

Agger
2011-12 33
2010-11 21
2009-10 36
2008-09 26
2007-08 6
Total - 122 in all competitions

That's a lot less games played than both of them for Agger and, in fact, apart from 2009-10 he's played less games, some times substantially less, every season. I don't think his brittle body should be underestimated here.
Fair point but what about Carragher? These are his league stats:
2007–08 35
2008–09 38
2009–10 37
2010–11 28
2011–12 21
Carragher playing had an influence on who played between Skrtel and Agger as well, just can't remember which usually sat out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.