David Silva...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C Velz said:
Was the pass a successful one? The video suspiciously cuts away as it looks like the defender would cut the ball out, for some reason.

I don't think David Silva is the best at playing a final ball (that I have seen), but he is certainly one of the best in world football at it. If you are curious, I think Messi is the best at it. There are very few footballers like Silva though, nowadays. I've always rated him highly.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I think you need to respect Manuel Pellegrini's view that Silva is the best passer of the final ball in world football.

I am quite certain that he has been around football a lot longer than you, and would have seen far more football first hand than you will probably ever see. And I am sure that he will have seen far more of Lionel Messi than you ever will.

Anyway let's see what happens on Tuesday night.

Respect his opinion? What are you trying to imply here?

All I've said is that I disagree with his opinion as I think Messi is the best "final ball" passer I have seen since Totti circa 1999-2004 and Laudrup circa 1991-1995. It's not as if I insulted him or something along those lines.

Some strange posts in this thread. Anyway, this is how I see it.

Silva can be replaced. But unless he was replaced by Iniesta you'd have a different Manchester City. Could be better, could be worse. Who knows. But really Iniesta is the only player with a similar game and ideology on the pitch in world football.

The Ribery comparison I find odd. Explosive and deadly player, who can do many of the things Silva can and vice versa, but so many differences between them to make the comparison worthless. Very different players.

But yeah all that aside, Silva is genius. Its the intelligence that really impresses me. Often as football fans we see things before they happen as we have that vantage point that opens up the field of play. With Silva he does things you don't even see from that vantage point. Very few players have that for me. Its a very small band of players. Maybe 5 or 6. Silva belongs in there.

Project said:
Some strange posts in this thread. Anyway, this is how I see it.

Silva can be replaced. But unless he was replaced by Iniesta you'd have a different Manchester City. Could be better, could be worse. Who knows. But really Iniesta is the only player with a similar game and ideology on the pitch in world football.

The Ribery comparison I find odd. Explosive and deadly player, who can do many of the things Silva can and vice versa, but so many differences between them to make the comparison worthless. Very different players.

But yeah all that aside, Silva is genius. Its the intelligence that really impresses me. Often as football fans we see things before they happen as we have that vantage point that opens up the field of play. With Silva he does things you don't even see from that vantage point. Very few players have that for me. Its a very small band of players. Maybe 5 or 6. Silva belongs in there.

Which was exactly my point, a ridiculous comparison to make in the first place.

Probably wrong thread but at least its a Silva thread.

Just thought of a song after the game on Saturday, a long the lines of Oasis - live forever

We'll see things they'll never see
You and I are gonna live forever

So I was thinking....

He sees things we'll never see
You and I love David Silva

Maybe someone else could add to it

Silva has an ability to create space for himself that many players are just not capable of. Yaya can do it through his strength and power, but Silva draws people into him and just manages to turn on a sixpence and take a huge stride to quickly spring forward. From nothing he creates something and he knows whether to pass or to hold the ball up again. That is what sets him apart. A few players can create space like he can, fewer can make the right decision on whether to pass forward or hold on to the ball, fewer still execute that decision as well as he can. He is one of the few in the world that can do it. And do it consistently. Messi and Iniesta are certainly capable of it!

supercity88 said:
Silva has an ability to create space for himself that many players are just not capable of. Yaya can do it through his strength and power, but Silva draws people into him and just manages to turn on a sixpence and take a huge stride to quickly spring forward. From nothing he creates something and he knows whether to pass or to hold the ball up again. That is what sets him apart. A few players can create space like he can, fewer can make the right decision on whether to pass forward or hold on to the ball, fewer still execute that decision as well as he can. He is one of the few in the world that can do it. And do it consistently. Messi and Iniesta are certainly capable of it!

I think another thing that seems to go a miss when debating Silva, is his strength and turn of pace. Over 5-10 yards he has the ability to get away from his marker and the strength to hold them off.

chris85mcfc said:
supercity88 said:

I think another thing that seems to go a miss when debating Silva, is his strength and turn of pace. Over 5-10 yards he has the ability to get away from his marker and the strength to hold them off.

Yes, he's a tough little fucker on the quiet. And that 270-360 degree turn he uses to create space is just special. I've never seen the likes of it before.

Shaelumstash said:
His awareness on the pitch and pass selection is just super human. Never seen another player even close in that respect. Scholes is the only one I've seen live that could even be in the conversation.

They say the best players seem to have the most time on the ball. That must be because their brains work so quickly that the game appears slower in their mind. Being inside Dave's head must be like The Matrix!

Haha that's true.

I couldn't follow The Matrix and I am sure opposition players have the same problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.