David Silva

Silva etc might actually be able to do some of the stuff Pep requires if they are playing in a balanced team, & getting plenty of rest inbetween.

Being asked to track back 60 yards after 20 year old wingers with Kolarov & Yaya Toure as the nearest help, is unlikely to be a situation Silva will ever face again.

He may have to do lots of small 10 yard covering runs instead, as one of a large group, all doing the same, & which he may actually have no problem whatsoever doing.
The gaps we leave on the pitch between full backs and midfield are horrendous. You're right, it's meant he's had to cover far more ground when the opposition are counter attacking which basically makes him, and others look like they're miles behind play. Hunting in numbers close together over those 10 yards will work so much better.

The gaps we leave on the pitch between full backs and midfield are horrendous. You're right, it's meant he's had to cover far more ground when the opposition are counter attacking which basically makes him, and others look like they're miles behind play. Hunting in numbers close together over those 10 yards will work so much better.

It could be the case. We tend to assume that Silva & Nasri etc have to be judged on their contribution in a Pellegrini team, but how would Pellegrini fit in Xavi, Iniesta to our usual formation ? Sack our centre mids & have those two in front of Demichelis or one next to Yaya, one in front of Kolarov, with a 40 yard gap to Aguero & De Bruyne & Navas on the right wing ? Good luck with that in the Premier League.

We have never seen Silva in a Pep kind of setup so we can't tell what he's capable of until we do. I imagine he will be given the chance to show us.

Let's hope so but it does not change my belief that we need to up the overall work rate and athleticism in the side. I will say that one of my biggest gripes with Pellegrini was a failure to get the team moving and pressing as more of a unit; what I've never been sure of was how much of that was down to the manager's failure to instruct / coach or simply an inability to get the players to consistently do what he wanted. We will find out soon enough if Pep can change that.

Just seen even after all the injury headaches of this season that Silva's in the Spain squad. That boy really should be taking the summer off if he genuinely wants a future under Pep. What's the bet he arrives at pre season training with an injury again?

Let's hope so but it does not change my belief that we need to up the overall work rate and athleticism in the side. I will say that one of my biggest gripes with Pellegrini was a failure to get the team moving and pressing as more of a unit; what I've never been sure of was how much of that was down to the manager's failure to instruct / coach or simply an inability to get the players to consistently do what he wanted. We will find out soon enough if Pep can change that.
I agree that there needs to be a huge improvement on overall work rate - including Silva. You're last line is what I've been looking forward to for too long.

If he wanted them to do that, which is possible, then he was crap at organising it &, having seen it fail, continued asking the same people to do the same things rather than trying something else or replacing sone of them with younger, fitter players.

But there is a marked difference between the movement, as a team, of Pep's sides compared to Pellegrini's. I would be very surprised if Silva is ever asked to do a similar job.

I agree that there needs to be a huge improvement on overall work rate - including Silva. You're last line is what I've been looking forward to for too long.

I have a personal obsession over the pressing game, it started with AC Milan under Sacchi, and I have been waiting since then for a City manager to implement it properly. I actually thought Pellegrini would bring that: IIRC, there's an old Pep quote that he nicked his approach to the pressing game from Pellegrini! This has always made me wonder if Pellers largely ditched the pressing game because too many of his best players would not do it properly and he decided, in that case, to adapt.

One thing I have noticed is more than once, is KDB going to press defenders and looking round to see no one following and him then waving at his team mates. Fascinating times ahead.

Just seen even after all the injury headaches of this season that Silva's in the Spain squad. That boy really should be taking the summer off if he genuinely wants a future under Pep. What's the bet he arrives at pre season training with an injury again?

I agree. I understand that he will be desperate to play for Spain but everything one see from the outside suggests he needs to rest and focus on being as healthy as possible to impress the new boss at the club that pays his "weekly wages".

I agree. I understand that he will be desperate to play for Spain but everything one see from the outside suggests he needs to rest and focus on being as healthy as possible to impress the new boss at the club that pays his "weekly wages".

Read Bluewhit's post from a few pages back. Within the context of the season he's had and the fact he's missed our last five games as well as chunks of the season prior .... Well anyway this will all come out in the wash when Pep gets here.

If he wanted them to do that, which is possible, then he was crap at organising it &, having seen it fail, continued asking the same people to do the same things rather than trying something else or replacing sone of them with younger, fitter players.

But there is a marked difference between the movement, as a team, of Pep's sides compared to Pellegrini's. I would be very surprised if Silva is ever asked to do a similar job.

Without getting into the rights and wrongs, Pellers might have chosen to go down the route of utilising Kun, Toure, Nasri, Silva in preference to kids that run around a lot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.