David White

For 2-3 years I thought he was bloody good for us. Pace, strength and a good finish on him. Had a great understanding with Quinny.

Prior to his England debut in Santander he was on fire. Scored 6 in the first 5 games or so. After that he went on a really bad run. Confidence took a right bashing.

I used to see him down the health spa in the Marriott Worsley. A big old unit these days. There wasn't much room left in the jacuzzi when he got in. Had the odd chat and he came across as a decent enough bloke.

To the tune of "oooh ahh Cantona", I remember the Kippax chanting "Who needs Cantona, when we've got David White..."

I thought he was great.

He was fast and when he scored he'd often lash the ball into the back of the net.

He wouldn't have got into the late 60s and 70s City teams I remembered but he was definitely a sign that things were on the up at long last after the 1983 cataclysm.

I thought he was fantastic. Remember watching City reserves at Northwich Vics moons ago, and the only thing that sticks in my mind, is David White getting fed the ball over the top and watching him give the full back at least 15 yards start, only to race past him like road runner. Him and Quinny were frightening. The only gripe I had was that for a winger his crossing at times was gash, but for pace, strength and goal scoring you could hardly fault him. I was gutted when he left. Always be a blue will Whitey and he was part of the golden generation that made our youth system the envy of the country at the time.

very inconsistant whitey was. on his day unplayable on the right wing, didnt have much skill but bags of pace. for some reason he always used to fall over after putting a cross in! (see hinchcliffe's header in the 5-1).
he relied so much on his pace that when it started to go even slightly (leeds, sheff utd) he then wasnt half the player he was in his city days.

WEMBLEY76 said:
He was fast,strong,decent finisher in the end,played for England once but missed an early chance in a friendly v Spain,and never got another chance.
Was never as good for us after that either. dented his confidence really badly

Probably my favourite player of the late 80s early 90s - he would in most instances that i remember just kick it past the left back and try to burn past him, and with good effect a lot of the time. I think once teams got wise to what he did, he was a lot more limited as he didnt have any tricks up his sleeve.
Then had a new lease of life as a forward running onto Quinns flick ons, again to good effect. he had a good shot on him and could finish pretty well too. I remember his was it/wasn't it goal that was the eventual winner vs the dippers that went in off the underside of the crossbar (it clearly crossed the line to my unbiased eyes!)
Also have very fond memories of his hattrick in the 10-1 which i had on video for years but unfortunately have no idea where it is now (also had the 5-1 on the same video).
But the thing i remember most about him is the fact he never managed to get a decent cross in unless he fell on his arse in the process of crossing it!

My hero when I was a nipper. Brilliant in 91/92. Played well with Quinny.

Under appreciated by a few on here. We had no one better between 89-93

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.