De Bruyne?

I think it's fair to say they're in a much stronger negotiating position than us.
Certainly are Ric!
Scenario: Dachshunds gnashers being much closer to the British Bulldogs bollocks than the Bulldogs to the dachshunds!

It always baffles me mate. What does it matter to us if we pay £47m or £57m? It will have no impact on us, other than the chance to see a great footballer in a City shirt. Sometimes people get bogged down by fees as though they're paying it themselves. Why would you give it a shit? Pretty much all transfer fees at the top level are obscene in their own way.

Problem is FFP though. If we're after four players say and overspend on the first three then we probably can't afford the fourth. Everything has to be budgeted for. It's boring and a pain in the arse I know but that's the current reality. If we go over budget Ferran will be looking to get the money back in other ways such as season ticket prices.

ooohh

true

but equally we should have a real value in mind and stick at that

fuck them if they want too much more

develop a reputation for meaning what you say and then stick with that as much as you can

Morally that's great. If it means missing out on the players you want/need, it's not so savvy from a business point of view.

Problem is FFP though. If we're after four players say and overspend on the first three then we probably can't afford the fourth. Everything has to be budgeted for. It's boring and a pain in the arse I know but that's the current reality. If we go over budget Ferran will be looking to get the money back in other ways such as season ticket prices.

Of course, that's the reality we operate in. Getting Sterling, De Bruyne and Pogba would've stretched us to the absolute max. I'm not even sure we could've managed it within the existing FFP regulations. As a deal for Pogba is increasingly unlikely/impossible, it gives us a bit of flexibility in terms of what we can afford for De Bruyne. Clearly this hasn't gone unnoticed in Wolfsburg.

People worry that the price of a pre-match pie and a pint will pushed-up.

I'm not sure that's really true. They often think £45m is fine, but then get outraged and think £50m is too much for example. If anyone sanely thinks the £5m fee difference is gonna change the pie prices then well....all hope is lost. It isn't gonna make a difference, is it? If it would mess up the club's finances, they wouldn't pay it.

As a deal for Pogba is increasingly unlikely/impossible, it gives us a bit of flexibility in terms of what we can afford for De Bruyne. Clearly this hasn't gone unnoticed in Wolfsburg.

That's very true. I also think that's why we've encouraged or at least not discouraged the talk about Pedro.

With respect its not as simple as the saying he is worth what a club is willing to pay. A player can run his contract down and be signed for nothing on a Bosman, the next day he is worth £20 million. It's a moving target.

What the sites try to do, particularly CIES, is identify true average worth with objective calculations and identify who got good value in the market. Some teams are very good at this FC Porto springs to mind. Sort of like Moneyball. City themselves seem to be investing heavily themselves in this type of technology. It's not a precise science of course as humans are involved and it's difficult to measure everything, but there is no doubt that some clubs sometimes wildly overpay and the player would not be valued at that amount by anyone else going forward.

I understand what the sites do, I just don't see the value in it in the context of transfers. Porto are good at working out potential value, which isn't the same as market value anyway and is a risk, they are just good at minimizing risk. True average worth has very little relevance when it comes to transfers. In monetary terms, a player is worth what a club is willing to pay and a club is willing to sell at. Opinions on that worth will vary.

Personally, I really want De Bruyne at City. The prospect of the fluidity of Silva, Sterling, Aguero and KDB is mouth watering. So, I'm of the opinion that if Wolfsburg have set a price of 57m, we meet it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.