De Jong the mercenary ?

Re: De Jong the mercenary.

CityCTID said:
I've said all along that de jong is the most overpaid and overrated bang average and very limited one dimension defensive midfielder

Well that is it all sorted then - no point others thinking back to the time when he joined and almost single-handedly plugged the major gaps that have turned us from one of the PL's wekest defences into the strongest.

From that platform we have developed the squad and he is no longer an automatic choice - not that along ago he was one of the first names on the team sheet.

And in a league where a point or two won or lost will be the difference between being champions or not we still have a need to occasionally close down games we are winning in the last 15 minutes or so. He is very good for that, but if he is not satisfied then - well that is just life.

Why some cannot just accept that this is just the evolution of our team and club iand find a need to slag off is beyond me.

NDJ got a contract before the big bucks were being thrown about. He has done is part but we are now outgrowing him so it is likely that he will be playing elsewhere in the future. Therefore, for NDJ, it makes sense to run his contract down so that he can get a big signing on fee at his next club because they will have avoided a transfer fee.

Seems to be sensible from him and so long has he still puts in the effort when called upon - well done to someone behaving as a professional

This thread just confirms that there is too much alcohol and drugs available and people should just say NO

paulchapo said:
If he sees his contract out and goes on a free i would say thanks and wish him well.

He was here from the start of our new beginning and played a big part in our success.The team is playing differently now and therefore his role is not as important as it was and his chances limited.

Never forget he used to be one of the first names on the teamsheet once and he has always given his all for the cause.I still remember his crunching tackle against Chelsea at home when he took two of their players out at once.

He will always be remembered with great affection by me whatever his decision.

This.

Let's remember that in the main Bosman has been our friend. If a player chooses to utilise it to get one last big payday we can't really have any genuine complaints.

I'm very fond of Nigel and he has been instrumental in taking the club forward on the pitch. It is also clear that he is a positive influence around the dressing room. The truth, however, is that he isn't key to how we play anymore. There may have been a time when his name was on the teamsheet before even Yaya, preposterous as that seems now.

He doubtless realises that he's a long way down the pecking order now. Let's not forget that this is player who's played in a World Cup Final. You cannot blame him for wanting to play a more pivotal role in a team, wherever that may be. If he signed a contract extension with us I'd be pleased, but not like I was when Silva did, precisely because he's now a bit part player.

If he doesn't extend and leaves next summer he'll go with my blessing. Thanks for the memories Nige.

NDJ has been the catalyst of what we have built at City over the last few years.

Anyone who slags him needs to get a reality check.

I would like him to sign a new deal at City as I think the part (more often bit part) he plays for the team in closing games down in the final stages is vital to any championship winning squad.

If he doesnt take the contract on offer at City, well good luck to him and thanks for the great service Nigel.

After experiencing the title success and Fa cup win, I don't understand why a player would want to leave the club. Even if he accepted £70k a week over 4 years that is £14m.

I think he will be missed by the players though as he seems to be a good teammate to have around

gordondaviesmoustache said:
johnny crossan said:
He said from the start that he saw City as a stepping stone, the problem for him is that his next one might prove to be very slippery.
In fairness to Nige he said that at the start.
''Everyone want to play for a topteam , but would I get the chance to play there 90mins week in week out ? At City I'm guaranteed a starting place in the best league in Europe''

''I see City as a 2 year project. In 2 years time I'm 26 years old and on the top of my game and I've had the chance to show myself in England. I'm a pre-thinker , I'm picking my own path. ''

''We're desperately missing players with character and mentality. A couple of guys who say , you can go as far as this but this is it''

''The last few years I've gained a lot of respect from the people in Hamburg , Holland en the people around with my play. I'm not worried about losing my place during the summer transfer window''

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.trouw.nl/nieuws/sport/article2065563.ece/_rsquo_Ik_ga_het_heus_maken_in_Engeland_rsquo__.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.trouw.nl/nieuws/sport/articl ... quo__.html</a>

he's missed his deadline anyway

de jong has been great. whatever he does he gets my blessings..... he fed aguero the pass to set off our premier winning goal ffs.

barry has stepped into that role as cover,but that s to break into the team.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
After experiencing the title success and Fa cup win, I don't understand why a player would want to leave the club. Even if he accepted £70k a week over 4 years that is £14m.

I think he will be missed by the players though as he seems to be a good teammate to have around

He could possibly get that sort of contract elsewhere though, plus the signing on fee.

I would love to see him stay. He could play a crucial role for us in Champions league this season. Can't think of a better player to come off the bench to shut up shop in a tight European game.

In 20 years time, when we are talking about the famous City team that finally won trophies after such a barren spell, Nigel de Jongs name will be rolling off the tongue with the likes of Yaya, Silva, Kompany, etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.