Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

Guys, have you read my initial post? Did I say he was inconsistent, 'bad' this season? Did I say he should be replaced? The point I'm trying to make is that he's not unique. Have you seen Fred from Shakhtar, rumoured to be on City radar? Could you classify him as worldclass, i.e. top 2-3 in his position? Replace Dinho with Fred, and you won't see any difference in a year. It's more about integration than player's unique ability (ofc the suitable skillset/quality are needed).

This time last year Dinho's place as a pivot wasn't indisputable - Yaya has replaced him in that position and offered more control/passing ability.
He is unique though and yes he is world class as I said before I wouldn't swap him for another midfielder in the world.

1 - brilliant defensively, quick, can tackle, brilliant in the air for his height.

2 - unlike the likes of Kante, Matic etc he offers so much more going forward. Can dribble past players, pick a pass from deep and has a decent shot on him.

3 - this is just bonus but he just seems a top quality professional who has a deep understanding of the game.

What are you on about Fred, yes he looks good but honestly how many Shakhtar games do you watch? how can you honestly say he would easily replace fernandinho.

The thing with Fernandinho which proves how good he is, you can play him in any position, right back, left back (such as the everton match at the start of the season), centre back and his performance never really drops.

A city legend

What are you on about Fred, yes he looks good but honestly how many Shakhtar games do you watch? how can you honestly say he would easily replace fernandinho.
Could Fred play the role? Undoubtedly. Could he play it to the level Dinho does? Maybe after a few years, maybe never.

I havent watched him enough to have an opinion tbh, he looks class on youtube but which player doesnt.
He has the physical (bar the aerial ability) and technical ability to do what Dinho does but in terms of reading the game, anticipation, picking a key pass and aggression has a good bit to learn to be as consistently good at it as Dinho is. He's 24 still, so I'd like to see us replace Yaya with him and see how he progresses.

He is unique though and yes he is world class as I said before I wouldn't swap him for another midfielder in the world.

1 - brilliant defensively, quick, can tackle, brilliant in the air for his height.

2 - unlike the likes of Kante, Matic etc he offers so much more going forward. Can dribble past players, pick a pass from deep and has a decent shot on him.

3 - this is just bonus but he just seems a top quality professional who has a deep understanding of the game.

The thing with Fernandinho which proves how good he is, you can play him in any position, right back, left back (such as the everton match at the start of the season), centre back and his performance never really drops.

A city legend

+1

your point 3) leads onto 4

4) Can persaude talented Brazalians i.e. Jesus and Ederson to join and help them intergrate quickly.

5) Can do this one of my highlights of the season

3.10-3.20 on the video. "brilliant defending"

Last edited:
Fabinho, Weigl, Diawara would fit the Dinho role miles better than Fred.

Feel like City fans are just treating Fred like Dinho 2.0 from Shakhtar.

TBH, I'd heard of Fernandinho before he came here, but I couldn't say how good he was based on a few Youtube clips.

In recent times, the £30m we spent on him has got to be possibly the best pound for pound fee we've ever spent. Just imagine what a younger Fernandinho clone would cost now?

Weigl is no where near mobile enough to play ferns role and hes been pretty poor this season.

I havent watched Fred enough to comment but he looks much more the type of player we need.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.