Discuss Pellegrini...(cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
mancity1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Interesting to hear Shaun goater's take on the manager at the weekend, after becoming a full time City pundit: that he likes him, thinks he is the right manager for city and gets the majority of decisions right. He's been a surprisingly good analyst and his views echo mine on this as well.

I agree up until now DD but really would you expect him to say anything different or somewhat controversial at this stage of his punditory.

I cannot see anybody having a strong case for the removal of MP if we finish top three perhaps even dare I say it fourth this season.

To be honest I would. BBC Manchester sport are very good at being objective about City, always have been and always will be. Their people have always called it like it is. Nigel gleghorn made no secret of his lack of belief in Mancini and the likes of Fred eyre are brutally honest about players when necessary. If they turned into another version of the match programme they'd have zero credibility and I'm glad they clearly know that.

But yes, I totally agree there is not a cat in hell's chance of Pellegrini being removed this summer, wherever we finish. Quite rightly it won't happen.

GazM said:
gio's side step said:
Very difficult to assess this season in any clear defined way.

In one sense Pellegrini has had a good first season. Won a trophy. Had more cutting edge which we lacked last season. Got through to the CL knock out stages. And are on course (unless we fuck it up) to finish at least 2nd again with an improved points total in a strange season which as far as Im concerned re: Liverpool who will very likely win it, is a bit of an anomaly within the bigger picture of how things have been developing over the last 4 years. Add to that, our dreadful injury record (even with a squad our size - missing the spine of our team at many points over the season has really hurt us and would have killed off anyone else), and Liverpools unprecedented momentum for a team who previously finished outside of the top 5, it has been reasonably successful.

In another sense, one cannot escape the feeling of regret, failure and regression since we won the title two years ago, which is absolutely not Pellegrini's fault but a smell of it still lingers in terms of mentality. We have not dominated the PL like many of us thought we would. That is not being arrogant. And does not mean everyone expected us to win it 3, 4, 5, 6 times on the bounce. But to have finished quite a few points behind Utd last season and to have never really put a marker down this season or been top for long enough even with injuries is difficult to accept. I thought we would win it at least twice in 3 years and kick on. I accept we haven't 'lost it yet' but deep down we know we have. The two goals this season would have been to have won the title and secured CL knock out qualification. A major trophy is great and something we as fans would never play down having not won anything for decades, but the reality is we are here now. Competing. In a season which saw Utd post-Fergie, Chelsea struggle to score goals, Arsenal all but closing the chapter on Wenger, we are theoretically in danger of standing still. And the reality of FFP lingering. Utd will bounce back and sign one or two big players. Mourinho will improve Chelsea for next season. And Liverpool's stand alone season of momentum will reinvigerate a club which is so hungry for success again. I think next season is going to be harder still post the World Cup. I think we really needed to win the title this year. Just my personal point of view.

+1. Spot on - you have to seize the moment. Next season will be even tougher. We have blown it this season & last as well.
It was a very well balanced, however I don't buy into the received wisdom that next season will necessarily be harder per se. This is something that always gets said when people are disappointed about the outcome of a particular campaign. Last season, and the 2010/11 season this board was full of people pointing to what an opportunity we'd missed and how we wouldn't get such an easy ride the following season. I'm not saying that every season is equally as easy as each other, but these things are never linear. People expect Arsenal to improve next term, but they've been saying that for the last half-decade.

This group of players should peak next season. With better luck with injuries we should be much more formidable. That should inform the narrative as much as any other clubs' vicissitudes of fortune. I'm sure, for example, it will be on the minds of Chelsea fans.

johnson28392 said:
mancity1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Interesting to hear Shaun goater's take on the manager at the weekend, after becoming a full time City pundit: that he likes him, thinks he is the right manager for city and gets the majority of decisions right. He's been a surprisingly good analyst and his views echo mine on this as well.

I agree up until now DD but really would you expect him to say anything different or somewhat controversial at this stage of his punditory.

I cannot see anybody having a strong case for the removal of MP if we finish top three perhaps even dare I say it fourth this season.

i'm sure the targets for this season were to win one major trophy.

If Pellegrini wants to keep his job he has to atleast come close to winning the league. Finishing third or fourth is not "coming close".

He's already come close to winning the league. Last year we were out of it in January, this year it is right to the wire.

His targets will not have been 'one major trophy'. They will have been all-round improvement and that has happened. When this squad fulfils it's potential the trophies will naturally follow. Managers are evaluated on the future as much as the past.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
GazM said:
gio's side step said:
Very difficult to assess this season in any clear defined way.

In one sense Pellegrini has had a good first season. Won a trophy. Had more cutting edge which we lacked last season. Got through to the CL knock out stages. And are on course (unless we fuck it up) to finish at least 2nd again with an improved points total in a strange season which as far as Im concerned re: Liverpool who will very likely win it, is a bit of an anomaly within the bigger picture of how things have been developing over the last 4 years. Add to that, our dreadful injury record (even with a squad our size - missing the spine of our team at many points over the season has really hurt us and would have killed off anyone else), and Liverpools unprecedented momentum for a team who previously finished outside of the top 5, it has been reasonably successful.

In another sense, one cannot escape the feeling of regret, failure and regression since we won the title two years ago, which is absolutely not Pellegrini's fault but a smell of it still lingers in terms of mentality. We have not dominated the PL like many of us thought we would. That is not being arrogant. And does not mean everyone expected us to win it 3, 4, 5, 6 times on the bounce. But to have finished quite a few points behind Utd last season and to have never really put a marker down this season or been top for long enough even with injuries is difficult to accept. I thought we would win it at least twice in 3 years and kick on. I accept we haven't 'lost it yet' but deep down we know we have. The two goals this season would have been to have won the title and secured CL knock out qualification. A major trophy is great and something we as fans would never play down having not won anything for decades, but the reality is we are here now. Competing. In a season which saw Utd post-Fergie, Chelsea struggle to score goals, Arsenal all but closing the chapter on Wenger, we are theoretically in danger of standing still. And the reality of FFP lingering. Utd will bounce back and sign one or two big players. Mourinho will improve Chelsea for next season. And Liverpool's stand alone season of momentum will reinvigerate a club which is so hungry for success again. I think next season is going to be harder still post the World Cup. I think we really needed to win the title this year. Just my personal point of view.

+1. Spot on - you have to seize the moment. Next season will be even tougher. We have blown it this season & last as well.
It was a very well balanced, however I don't buy into the received wisdom that next season will necessarily be harder per se. This is something that always gets said when people are disappointed about the outcome of a particular campaign. Last season, and the 2010/11 season this board was full of people pointing to what an opportunity we'd missed and how we wouldn't get such an easy ride the following season. I'm not saying that every season is equally as easy as each other, but these things are never linear. People expect Arsenal to improve next term, but they've been saying that for the last half-decade.

This group of players should peak next season. With better luck with injuries we should be much more formidable. That should inform the narrative as much as any other clubs' vicissitudes of fortune. I'm sure, for example, it will be on the minds of Chelsea fans.

Dead right. Next season will be easier. The manager is on his second year, the players bedded in further, our squad will be stronger again. We have more experience in Europe and we almost certainly won't be as bedevilled with bad injury luck.

Didsbury Dave said:
GazM said:

Dead right. Next season will be easier. The manager is on his second year, the players bedded in further, our squad will be stronger again. We have more experience in Europe and we almost certainly won't be as bedevilled with bad injury luck.

I am not sure on the last point as two of our key players appear injury prone,Aguero being the main one.

paulchapo said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I am not sure on the last point as two of our key players appear injury prone,Aguero being the main one.
Who's the other, pal?

Didsbury Dave said:
johnson28392 said:
mancity1 said:

If Pellegrini wants to keep his job he has to atleast come close to winning the league. Finishing third or fourth is not "coming close".

He's already come close to winning the league. Last year we were out of it in January, this year it is right to the wire.

His targets will not have been 'one major trophy'. They will have been all-round improvement and that has happened. When this squad fulfils it's potential the trophies will naturally follow. Managers are evaluated on the future as much as the past.

No he hasn't, we could still end up in fourth or third place which I think will not be good enough.

But I think we'll finish 1st and win this league. Too many people think that Liverpool are going to win their last three games. I really think they will draw all three of them.

Didsbury Dave said:
johnson28392 said:
mancity1 said:

DD is correct in this instance , you have to remember what became of us toward the end of last season as well.

Also to date MP has managed the media far better than his predecessor and yes I don't pay much attention to it myself but others in influential positions obviously do.

To think he was told you must win the league this season or the Chumps League this season or you are out but we will give you three years is fanciful in the extreme.

This year its conceivable that you could finish 6 points behind the champions and still finish fifth.

if you think I making this up look at combinations.

Only Liverpool are guarenteed Chumps League football as I post this.

We are in best position to finish at least second at this point in time but this is a season of many twists and turns.

If we said at the start of the year we would be 74 points with four games to go especially after our first 6 away games I am sure the vast majority of our supporters and more importantly for MP the board and his direct employers would have taken that for sure.<br /><br />-- Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:08 am --<br /><br />
Didsbury Dave said:
johnson28392 said:
mancity1 said:

DD is correct in this instance , you have to remember what became of us toward the end of last season as well.

Also to date MP has managed the media far better than his predecessor and yes I don't pay much attention to it myself but others in influential positions obviously do.

To think he was told you must win the league this season or the Chumps League this season or you are out but we will give you three years is fanciful in the extreme.

This year its conceivable that you could finish 6 points behind the champions and still finish fifth.

if you think I making this up look at combinations.

Only Liverpool are guarenteed Chumps League football as I post this.

We are in best position to finish at least second at this point in time but this is a season of many twists and turns.

If we said at the start of the year we would be 74 points with four games to go especially after our first 6 away games I am sure the vast majority of our supporters and more importantly for MP the board and his direct employers would have taken that for sure.

johnson28392 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
johnson28392 said:

No he hasn't, we could still end up in fourth or third place which I think will not be good enough.

But I think we'll finish 1st and win this league. Too many people think that Liverpool are going to win their last three games. I really think they will draw all three of them.

There is no way Newcastle will have the bottle to survive a seething Anfield if they need the win,no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.