Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OB1 said:
Cheesy said:
OB1 said:
The big difference is in the players' heads.

OK, so if we say that's true, who's job is it to instill the correct mentality into the players heads?

The manager and, as I said in another post , that is easier said then done; especially when you have games like today where a goal that should have been disallowed costs you another away game. Each away defeat makes it harder to build confidence but, I repeat, MP inherited a team that lacked confidence away from home.

Is that the best you can do?
Is that really the best you can do?
I feel embarrassed for you fella. I really do.

OB1 said:
franksinatra said:
OB1 said:
What was worse about today's 1-0 defeat to Sunderland, to a goal that shoudn't have stood, to the three 1-0 defeats under Mancini?

What is worse is the cumulative results under Pellegrinis management. We have already lost four games in six this year compared to four in total last year away from home. The last three years we battered Sunderland but those critical of Mancini never factored this when judging him so I am not sure those rules should apply now. Our problems away from home resulted in 33 and 34 points out of a possible 57 over the last two seasons. Not four out of eighteen as it currently stands.

The cumulative results aren't good enough but we have a new manager, who did inherit some issues that he needs to solve, and what he needs to do is show progress. There will be ups and downs in performance. People have criticised the defending but there was nothing meaningful to complain about in today's defending. At the other end, we had a higher than average shot count. Lots of crosses and corners.

The manager did not cock-up today. His team selection was reasonable given the injuries and mid week game. FFS I've seen people complaining that he picked Micah.

Tactics and team selection did not cost us today. The way he wants the team to play was not the problem today.

If I thought Pellegrini was on the wrong track are making too many errors - he will make some - I would say so. Oh, and I have defended Mancini after Sunderland games in the past.

What Pellegrini has to do is get his team to play with the belief in themselves they are showing at home away from home. Easier said than done.

I do agree there is issues with the mentality of the squad and I highlighted this after the first defeat to Cardiff, however losing four and a number of draws I believed was the height of the problem, however due to poor team selection and tactics this problem has been exacerbated.

Defensively the players do not look comfortable and his continual selection of Garcia when better alternatives are available adds to the problem.

Unfortunately we lost out most creative player to injury so how do we react to that? Do we bring in a winger who cost 17 million or replace him with a very commited, hard working player.When we did the latter the end result was a lack of any creativity in the first half and handed the impetus to Sunderland. The shots and crosses you talk off were mainly in the second half when Sunderland started to defend deeply.

The most frustrating thing is anyone with a knowldege of the Premier league knows Johnson hates to defend and track back and so we could have really exploited this by starting with Navas and attacking Bardsley one on one.

Milner looked better centrally than Garcia and Navas more threatening out wide. If those selections were made from kick off the result could have been very different. People will say its easy in hindsight but I am sure I was not the only one receiving texts saying how the line up lacks pace and creativity before kick off.

BillyShears said:
Was baffled by the team selection today. Can't really have any other complaints. He made the right changes at half time.

Beyond that being six points off Arsenal and the top means it was a let off. Nothing's really changed with Chelsea drawing as well.

Really don't understand all the histrionics. Saying we're out of the title race is just daft.

But that is the whole point. If we had serious title pretensions we would have beaten Sunderland and now be 3 points behind the gooners. I know you like Pellegrini and his sexy football. But he had a very poor away record at Malaga and that is now happening with us. It is away in hostile atmospheres that good managers really shine. MP gives me no confidence that he will turn that around. As someone stated we are flat track bullies, to borrow a cricketing term.

hgblue said:
Cheesy said:
OB1 said:
The manager and, as I said in another post , that is easier said then done; especially when you have games like today where a goal that should have been disallowed costs you another away game. Each away defeat makes it harder to build confidence but, I repeat, MP inherited a team that lacked confidence away from home.

MP inherited a team that had the 5th best away record in the Premier League last season. I'd suggest that shows that they weren't exactly terrified of playing away from home.

He inherited a squad that won the title the season before last, and that had 'underperformed' in finishing second last season. We've had an (alledged) upgrade of manager, and Negredo, Navas, Ferdandinho, Jovetic and De Michelis have been added in a transfer window hailed by most on here (not me) as being the best transfer window of any of the title contenders. The guy has us sat in 8th, having lost against several sides that we should be beating comfortably. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Anyone who suggests otherwise is deluding themselves.

Teething problems surely, he was never going to walk into the job and beat sunderland, cardiff and villa

Now Pellers has sorted out the European stuff, maybe we can have Mancini back for the domestic side of things as he seems better equipped for that. How about a job share? [I am only joking, I think...].

I keep reading about how much we missed Dinho today. Anyone would think we had a 100% perfect away record this season up until today. Here's the breaking news fella's - Dinho played in the other away games where were also defeated. There is a problem with our away form, I don't believe it lies in the players heads. We have too many good players having played at the highest level for that type of thinking. Personally it's too much tinkering with the team. Make the odd change/rotation by all means but if you have to make three changes due to injury then don't make a further two for the sake of it starting with half a new outfield team which also includes a new centre half. Maybe we have to look at how we approach away games, maybe start by not being so open, tighten up like fuck and put men behind the ball and play others at their own game and let them come on to us for once and hit them on the break. I don't know if it will work but what we're doing now isn't so we have to try something.

Andouble said:
Does he get sacked if we finish 5th?

You would have thought so unless we get a good draw in the CL and make the last 8, after all progressing further in a knock out competition is the be all and end all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.