Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exeter Blue I am here said:
sh249 said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Whatever anyone says,the club domestically have gone backwards.

Only one person can shoulder this blame.The gaffer

Gone backwards from where? Winning the title? Think it would be fair to say that the slide from that point started last season under a different gaffer, wouldn't it?

It certainly would, and the club has not gone backward domestically at all. Indeed since the first 4 games, which featured 3 woeful performances against Cardiff, Hull and Stoke, we have got better and better. Furthermore, with the obvious exception of the tactical debacle against Munich, Pellegrini has set us up with a good deal more pragmatism lately, and we have played virtually every team we have faced, off the park, including Chelsea yesterday. Silva, Aguero and Nasri have all rediscovered their mojo, and the only thing holding us back is the assortment of defenders and, crucially, goalkeeper, the manager inherited, and whose cretinous individual errors are currently undermining everything we do. Those still chanting the Mancini mantra, seem to have conveniently forgotten that he won only 2 of his last 8 away games in charge, and that was with our only decent defender at his disposal, something that has been denied Pellegrini.
I'm genuinely concerned that we may not finish in the top 4, but that's as much to do with the improvement of Arsenal and Liverpool, and the farcical amount of indulgent refereeing being afforded Tottenham and Chelsea, as anything else. One thing I will say though is that Joe Hart needs dropping immediately, and that if DiMichelis has a decent command of English he should take the captain's armband in Kompany's absence, because, by fuck, someone needs to start organising and galvanising Messrs Hart, Nastasic and Clichy

Can't understand the reaction on here. We played really well yesterday. Most of us would probably have picked Clichy for this game and hart had a couple of decent back to back performances.

The manager got his tactics spot on yesterday - we totally dominated Chelsea. He'll learn from this and I'd expects pants in goal on sat.

sh249 said:

Gone backwards from where? Winning the title? Think it would be fair to say that the slide from that point started last season under a different gaffer, wouldn't it?

It certainly would, and the club has not gone backward domestically at all. Indeed since the first 4 games, which featured 3 woeful performances against Cardiff, Hull and Stoke, we have got better and better. Furthermore, with the obvious exception of the tactical debacle against Munich, Pellegrini has set us up with a good deal more pragmatism lately, and we have played virtually every team we have faced, off the park, including Chelsea yesterday. Silva, Aguero and Nasri have all rediscovered their mojo, and the only thing holding us back is the assortment of defenders and, crucially, goalkeeper, the manager inherited, and whose cretinous individual errors are currently undermining everything we do. Those still chanting the Mancini mantra, seem to have conveniently forgotten that he won only 2 of his last 8 away games in charge, and that was with our only decent defender at his disposal, something that has been denied Pellegrini.
I'm genuinely concerned that we may not finish in the top 4, but that's as much to do with the improvement of Arsenal and Liverpool, and the farcical amount of indulgent refereeing being afforded Tottenham and Chelsea, as anything else. One thing I will say though is that Joe Hart needs dropping immediately, and that if DiMichelis has a decent command of English he should take the captain's armband in Kompany's absence, because, by fuck, someone needs to start organising and galvanising Messrs Hart, Nastasic and Clichy

-- Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:39 am --

sh249 said:

Hit the nail on the head.

An ever-changing backline and a David James mimic in Joe Hart has held us back.

People calling at the Gaffers door are clueless and the resentment stems from a Mancini love in. By no means what so ever is Pellegrini at fault for our loss yesterday, he got the tactics spot on and if it wasn't for Clichys positioning the first probably wouldn't have happened.<br /><br />-- Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:40 am --<br /><br />
sh249 said:

Hit the nail on the head.

An ever-changing backline and a David James mimic in Joe Hart has held us back.

People calling at the Gaffers door are clueless and the resentment stems from a Mancini love in. By no means what so ever is Pellegrini at fault for our loss yesterday, he got the tactics spot on and if it wasn't for Clichys positioning the first probably wouldn't have happened.

TGR said:
sh249 said:

Gone backwards?
Yes backwards. Where?
Have a look at the number of goals we have conceded so far this season then take a peek at how many points we have dropped away from home already this season. That is going backwards.
Can't believe there are some people trying to pretend defence isn't an issue. For the past three seasons we've been the best defence in the league, fewest goals conceded and most clean sheets. So far, we are 11th by goals conceded. In what way isn't that backwards?

Skashion said:
TGR said:
sh249 said:

Gone backwards?
Yes backwards. Where?
Have a look at the number of goals we have conceded so far this season then take a peek at how many points we have dropped away from home already this season. That is going backwards.
Can't believe there are some people trying to pretend defence isn't an issue. For the past three seasons we've been the best defence in the league, fewest goals conceded and most clean sheets. So far, we are 11th by goals conceded. In what way isn't that backwards?

The defence is obviously an issue - the difference is whether you think that this is due to tactics/set-up (i.e. manager) or down to largely inexplicable and indefensible individual mistakes.

During the title-winning season, the Hart-Kompany-Lescott partnership was fantastic, and everyone would love to see us get back to that level of defensive consistency. But last season we'd already begun to look weaker and in the second half were shelling goals, especially away from home (3 at Southampton, 3 at Spurs, 3 at Norwich).

Skashion said:
TGR said:
sh249 said:

Gone backwards?
Yes backwards. Where?

Sorry MP but if it ain't broke don't fix it I know we have had injuries but he changed the whole system can anyone tell me WHY ?

sh249 said:
Skashion said:
TGR said:
Gone backwards?
Yes backwards. Where?

The defence is obviously an issue - the difference is whether you think that this is due to tactics/set-up (i.e. manager) or down to largely inexplicable and indefensible individual mistakes.

During the title-winning season, the Hart-Kompany-Lescott partnership was fantastic, and everyone would love to see us get back to that level of defensive consistency. But last season we'd already begun to look weaker and in the second half were shelling goals, especially away from home (3 at Southampton, 3 at Spurs, 3 at Norwich).

We've certainly had a lot of inexplicable, individual mistakes. The last time I can remember so many was in the last few months of Mark Hughes tenure.

Unlucky manager, Hughes. Shortly after he left the club the number of individual errors fell to a normal level.

Skashion said:
TGR said:
sh249 said:

Gone backwards?
Yes backwards. Where?
We have had the best defence in the league in the past, but our best defence has barely played together this season so it's not credible to use such stats to insinuate what you are. Variables also unaccounted for are the nature of the goals conceded this season. They've mostly been gifts and not due to the defensive system.

These fluke goals will stop. If we were conceding goals by being out passed & cut open, or from set pieces, I'd be worried. Right now, not so.

What can Pellegrini do, the poor guy...

Still very undecided.
He does appear to have the tactical nouse to adapt the team accordingly however his insistence on picking Hart,Nasty at the moment and continually changing things is what is baffling me. He doesnt like or rate Milner or Lescott clearly.
Defensively we have gone backwards.
The only progression has been in the CL...In a group of 2 not very good teams.
Hope he makes me eat my words come May next year but I still have many reservations.

The manager isn't responsible for individual gaffes

He is responsible for the overall pattern of play - that's good.

We can cut out the errors, and we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.