Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
prestonibbo_mcfc said:
onceabluealways said:
I think he still needs more time -

But anyone who watched the bayern game and refused to change the formation before it was way to late doesn't really give you the confidence required

His continued belief in garcia is also a worrying factor.

His signing have been mixed-

Negredo - looks good
Fernandinho - looks good
navas - Jury out he needs to do more
Jovetic - the player i was most excited about - Pelle doesn't even want to play him
Not sure out of these which were really his signing but would guess negredo and navas so 50/50

I'm not his biggest fan, but thought he was quite decent. Got his foot in and broke up play quite well,
then gave to the players. What the guy has to do to avoid shit is beyond me.

Agree,he played well yesterday and as you say broke up play well. I just feel his lack of pace is what goes against him in this league.Time and time again once a player beats him or turns him he is not able pace wise to recover whereas Fernando or Yays is.
I have been a heavy critic of Garcia but when I see the performances of Clichy,Nasty,Hart and Nasri - yes Nasri,just dont see it in him then the criticism that Garcia receives is totally unwarranted

ElMatador said:
He is an excellent manager who will deliver the title.

He must be banging is head against the dressing room wall.

The press would have been purring over us today if it wasn't for Joe's rush of blood to the head, they would have rightly made us favourites for the title after last nights performance.

Lets hope the early season mistakes can be put to bed now, Liverpool play Arsenal at the weekend so we will gain on one of them or both if its a draw.Plenty to play for yet.

BillyShears said:
Individuals need to cut out their errors. After a tricky first few matches, as a team we're defending as well as we did under Mancini.
I don't think we are at all. I think we've generally been poor defensively. I refuse to believe that these errors, are completely unrelated to the change in manager. When players made mistakes before others were there to mop them up. The lower line meant there wasn't as much ground between keeper and central defence. The full-backs staying back more often meant there was usually more players on hand to clean up as well. If Clichy had been available would Nastasic have nodded it back to him? Most likely, and was there any need for Clichy to go forward considering how abysmal his attacking record is? Most likely not. Barry also played further back and by far the best aspect of his game was his ability to read the game and mop up the mistakes. I don't think any of this is an accident. Pellegrini was brought in to be more attacking, and he has been. As a a result we've been more exposed and conceded more. It is not in any way unfathomable. It was in fact predictable. Most of us predicted it, you included:

Will concede more goals than we did under Mancini? In all likelihood probably, but I expect this will be a minor hazard which won't effect results.

Unfortunately it is currently affecting results, if/when the time comes when it isn't costing us points, I will shut up about our defence. Until then, it will cost us trophies and that's the name of the game.

flb said:
ElMatador said:

The press would have been purring over us today if it wasn't for Joe's rush of blood to the head, they would have rightly made us favourites for the title after last nights performance.

Lets hope the early season mistakes can be put to bed now, Liverpool play Arsenal at the weekend so we will gain on one of them or both if its a draw.Plenty to play for yet.

Absolutely ... it's amazing sometimes the fine lines between hero and zero in football. I'm surprised by some of the comments right across the forum because I would expect everyone watched the game, and everyone who watched it will know we were the better team over 90 minutes, and should've taken a point if not all three. Joe's mistake was an aberration.

flb said:
Your answer is simple, Clichy,Hart and Kompany.

The first two are having a confidence crisis and Kompany our most influential player is injured.
I'd say Clichy and Hart are no worse than last season, and Kompany was out for a third of our Premier League games last season. So, no, not buying that one.

Skashion said:
flb said:

The first two are having a confidence crisis and Kompany our most influential player is injured.
I'd say Clichy and Hart are no worse than last season, and Kompany was out for a third of our Premier League games last season. So, no, not buying that one.

Clichy and Hart are nowhere near at the level of last season.

Clichy runs like he's got wellies on and Hart's confidence is completely shot.

Kompany fair point, but we are missing his inspiration on the defensive unit as a whole.

you cant blame Manuel mate for players going drastically out of form.

Pellegrini still has a lot to do to convince me we didn't make a right royal fuck up last May by letting certain players run the club for us, but I think he's almost entirely blameless for yesterday, and I'd say managerially it was his most impressive showing for us so far.

Hart let him down badly after a show of faith that he really didn't deserve after earlier mistakes.

Apart from that I was very pleased with what I saw. The formation was proven correct, the subs were right (although I would have started Kolarov, and said so before the game) even though Navas was again utterly ineffective - it was the right thing to do at the time as we needed to push them back a little and did so.

Demichelis had a very solid debut under difficult circumstances too.

The only criticisms I'd have are Hart's blunder (and to be totally fair he had a decent game prior to that - I actually thought it was a good sign that he was starting to come for things again until he took it way too far!) and the selection of Clichy over Kolarov.

We have to win the next four now and go into the Spurs game high on confidence. If we win three of the four away games in this run I think we can be fairly happy with our form. With two highly winnable home games up after Newcastle we need to, and will IMO put this behind us quickly.

flb said:
Skashion said:
flb said:

Clichy and Hart are nowhere near at the level of last season.

Clichy runs like he's got wellies on and Hart's confidence is completely shot.

Kompany fair point, but we are missing his inspiration on the defensive unit as a whole.

you cant blame Manuel mate for players going drastically out of form.

But surely it is down to the defensive coach,goalkeeping coach to talk to these players,identify what they feel has caused there form to dip,confidence to go down?
Of course nobody can blame the gaffer for what Hart contrived to do yesterday or what he did at Cardiff,Villa etc but what you can question is what the manager and team are doing about it. If they just keep picking the same players who are making glaring errors then the questions about the manager are going to be asked and peoples doubts surface.
All the texts I have received today are about why does he not drop Hart.Surely the time has come?

BillyShears said:
flb said:
ElMatador said:

Absolutely ... it's amazing sometimes the fine lines between hero and zero in football. I'm surprised by some of the comments right across the forum because I would expect everyone watched the game, and everyone who watched it will know we were the better team over 90 minutes, and should've taken a point if not all three. Joe's mistake was an aberration.

As JMA said elsewhere although we looked the more sophisticated of the two teams, a quality I know you like, we didn´t create as many goal scoring opportunities. The first half could have seen us well adrift. Sophistication as Arsenal have shown over the last 8 years wins you doodly squat in the PL and I hope Pellegrini realises this sooner rather than later.

I was concerned after the Villa and Bayern Munich games but since then I have seen enough of an improvement in our performances to suggest that we are going in the right direction. We could easily have won yesterday and if we had all would be rosy in the garden. Those who keep going on about Mancini really need to let it go. Yes he was a good manager and I am not surprised he is doing well at Galatasaray. Whatever the rights and wrongs of his sacking (for the record, I was an "outer" - my theory is that he himself engineered the sacking) he is gone and is never coming back.

This could end up being a transitional season as we are now unable to address the areas of the squad that need strengthening (GK, LB, CB) until next summer - January is never a good time to do it.

In order for us to hit the ground running we could not afford the goalkeeper and defenders to have the issues they are having, and that is hardly Pellegrini's fault. For example. Clichy is unrecognisable from the player he was in 11/12. On the plus side, we have every chance of going on a little run in the CL - quarter finals is very possible and from there who knows. As long as we qualify from the group stages and finish in the top four, the manager's position will not even be up for debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.