Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TGR said:
BlueAnorak said:
cibaman said:
Its difficult, if not impossible, to discuss Pellegrini without reference to Mancini. Any discussion about Pellegrini at this stage inevitably centres on "what's changed"? What has improved, what has deteriorated? How does Pellegrinii's approach differ from Mancini's? How else would you discuss Pellegrini?

Ain't that the truth.
I guess we could discuss his excellent hair and fantastic suits.

His suits were bespoke Ermenegildo Zegna. His shirts were hand stitched double cuffed Bivalino's. His shoes were hand made by Fratelli Borgioli. His ties custom made by Steffano Ricci and his hair... oh his hair! He was just far to damn classy - he just had to go!
Don't forget that nice lovely tan too

Hahaha. I can smell the bitter from here. " he 'll never win as much as our Bob did".

Tragically comical from the resident dumb dumbs.

The cookie monster said:
TGR said:
BlueAnorak said:
Ain't that the truth.

His suits were bespoke Ermenegildo Zegna. His shirts were hand stitched double cuffed Bivalino's. His shoes were hand made by Fratelli Borgioli. His ties custom made by Steffano Ricci and his hair... oh his hair! He was just far to damn classy - he just had to go!
Don't forget that nice lovely tan too

Nice one cookie! I forgot about that. No chav 'fake tan' for Roberto - oh no siree! It was gotten by soaking up the sun in Cap d'Antibes on a 141' super yatcht surrounded by gorgeous female cabin crew pampering to his every whim...
I just don't understand why some people just didn't take to him?

I do not normally get involved with the debate over Mancini v Pellegrini. For me Mancini will always be a legend in what he did for the club. Regardless of the finances he had and the players, he changed the mentality of the club and the way we are seen and regarded around the world. We played some fantastic football and won trophies. You cannot argue with that. He left the club and the reasons are debatable, but he has now gone. I remember being at Wembley and hearing that Pellegrini was the man to replace him and found the whole thing farcical considering the monumental occasion we were facing. I did not know too much about Pellegrini I must admit, and since his appointment I have looked into his previous managerial stints and what his methodology and philosophy are. I have spoken about it at length.

What I would do is look comparatively at our results last season compared to this. For me performance is important as it is a sign that results will come, but dependent on your outlook many will argue over whether our performances are better than last season or not.

So lets look into that...

Last season after 9 games we were on 21 pts after 9 games and this season we are on 16pts
Last season we had scored 18, conceded 9 in the league and this season we have scored 21 and conceded 11.

Now if we take the actual teams we have played and compare to last season then it paints a different picture.

If we replace Hull at home with Saints or Reading then the result is the same so that will not impact, if we replace Cardiff away then we either can add 3 pts because we beat Reading, or stay the same as we lost at saints.

So comparatively against the same teams we would have had either 13pts or 16pts depending whether you use Southampton or Reading away. Paints the picture that we haven't really gone backwards at all. And when you consider we were also knocked out of the League Cup at home to Villa and had picked up 1pt in the Champions League (yes yes I know different teams) but the situation is not so bleak.

Using the scenario of games whereby we were on 16pts (Reading away replaces Cardiff) then you can get an idea of what we scored and conceded, it is complicated by replacing Hull and Cardiff with other promoted sides because of difference but using the upper end of goals scored scenario and lower end of goals conceded we scored = 14 and conceded = 5. This season we see that it is 21 - 11.

Have we progressed??? Have we taken a step backwards? Well when you look at the fact individual errors have cost us goals at Cardiff, Villa and Chelsea and that we probably should have taken more points and would have without those errors and that general play most would suggest we deserved more from Villa and Chelsea, then I think we have moved forward.

Combine that with improved performance in Champions League and being in the next round of the cup, for a new manager in a new league with a new team we are not doing too badly. Once individual errors are stopped and defensive performance improves I think the overall picture would suggest that the board were right to remove Mancini.

supercity88 said:
I do not normally get involved with the debate over Mancini v Pellegrini. For me Mancini will always be a legend in what he did for the club. Regardless of the finances he had and the players, he changed the mentality of the club and the way we are seen and regarded around the world. We played some fantastic football and won trophies. You cannot argue with that. He left the club and the reasons are debatable, but he has now gone. I remember being at Wembley and hearing that Pellegrini was the man to replace him and found the whole thing farcical considering the monumental occasion we were facing. I did not know too much about Pellegrini I must admit, and since his appointment I have looked into his previous managerial stints and what his methodology and philosophy are. I have spoken about it at length.

What I would do is look comparatively at our results last season compared to this. For me performance is important as it is a sign that results will come, but dependent on your outlook many will argue over whether our performances are better than last season or not.

So lets look into that...

Last season after 9 games we were on 21 pts after 9 games and this season we are on 16pts
Last season we had scored 18, conceded 9 in the league and this season we have scored 21 and conceded 11.

Now if we take the actual teams we have played and compare to last season then it paints a different picture.

If we replace Hull at home with Saints or Reading then the result is the same so that will not impact, if we replace Cardiff away then we either can add 3 pts because we beat Reading, or stay the same as we lost at saints.

So comparatively against the same teams we would have had either 13pts or 16pts depending whether you use Southampton or Reading away. Paints the picture that we haven't really gone backwards at all. And when you consider we were also knocked out of the League Cup at home to Villa and had picked up 1pt in the Champions League (yes yes I know different teams) but the situation is not so bleak.

Using the scenario of games whereby we were on 16pts (Reading away replaces Cardiff) then you can get an idea of what we scored and conceded, it is complicated by replacing Hull and Cardiff with other promoted sides because of difference but using the upper end of goals scored scenario and lower end of goals conceded we scored = 14 and conceded = 5. This season we see that it is 21 - 11.

Have we progressed??? Have we taken a step backwards? Well when you look at the fact individual errors have cost us goals at Cardiff, Villa and Chelsea and that we probably should have taken more points and would have without those errors and that general play most would suggest we deserved more from Villa and Chelsea, then I think we have moved forward.

Combine that with improved performance in Champions League and being in the next round of the cup, for a new manager in a new league with a new team we are not doing too badly. Once individual errors are stopped and defensive performance improves I think the overall picture would suggest that the board were right to remove Mancini.
Billy hearts this post x

johnbmcr said:
BlueAnorak said:
cibaman said:
Its difficult, if not impossible, to discuss Pellegrini without reference to Mancini. Any discussion about Pellegrini at this stage inevitably centres on "what's changed"? What has improved, what has deteriorated? How does Pellegrinii's approach differ from Mancini's? How else would you discuss Pellegrini?

Ain't that the truth.

really? he looks like the old man @ CA adverts a couple of bob for a complete outfit

I'm an older git and believe me he looks great for an older git.

Gaylord du Bois said:
Billy hearts this post x

Haha. I do actually. Another cracking post which manages to put aside the cult of personality and give an honest opinion.

When you have a team set up to attack your more likely to make mistakes at the back because the defence is getting no cover, it is all well and good going for a winner away from home at your rivals in the 89th minute but it leaves you wide open

waspish said:
When you have a team set up to attack your more likely to make mistakes at the back because the defence is getting no cover, it is all well and good going for a winner away from home at your rivals in the 89th minute but it leaves you wide open

You'd have a point if Ian Holloway was the City manager ... but since he isn't I've got no idea what you're on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.