Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
city91 said:
The reason why we looked exposed against Swansea in the first half was due to our defence playing to deep. When we are playing 4-2-2-2 and closing the opposition down then it is crucial that the defence pushes up or else there is going to be plenty of room behind the midfield for the opposition to exploit. In my opinion this is what Pellegrini is trying to implement but it will take time and he has been unlucky with Nastasic and Kompany both being injured. Also the high line massively exposes Lescott and Demichellis lack of pace although IMO Demi has the footballing brain to play a high line.

I've heard people say we should change formation but there is no difference between 4-2-3-1 and 4-2-2-2 if we are keeping the same players in the team. Also 4-2-2-2 seems to be getting the best out of our forward players as Negrado, Aguero, Nasri and Silva have all been outstanding this season.

The only time we should think about changing our formation is if we are protecting a lead, against better opposition or are playing a game we must not lose (i.e title rival or knockout match). The minute we get a settled back 4 and replace back up players like Kolarov, Garcia, Lescott and Dzeko with players who will fit our system we will be unstoppable.

Anyone else reckon Rodwell would make a good CB in this system? He is quick, strong, good on the ball and has a good reading of the game.

Surely the best way to protect a lead, is score again.

prestonibbo_mcfc said:
city91 said:
The reason why we looked exposed against Swansea in the first half was due to our defence playing to deep. When we are playing 4-2-2-2 and closing the opposition down then it is crucial that the defence pushes up or else there is going to be plenty of room behind the midfield for the opposition to exploit. In my opinion this is what Pellegrini is trying to implement but it will take time and he has been unlucky with Nastasic and Kompany both being injured. Also the high line massively exposes Lescott and Demichellis lack of pace although IMO Demi has the footballing brain to play a high line.

I've heard people say we should change formation but there is no difference between 4-2-3-1 and 4-2-2-2 if we are keeping the same players in the team. Also 4-2-2-2 seems to be getting the best out of our forward players as Negrado, Aguero, Nasri and Silva have all been outstanding this season.

The only time we should think about changing our formation is if we are protecting a lead, against better opposition or are playing a game we must not lose (i.e title rival or knockout match). The minute we get a settled back 4 and replace back up players like Kolarov, Garcia, Lescott and Dzeko with players who will fit our system we will be unstoppable.

Anyone else reckon Rodwell would make a good CB in this system? He is quick, strong, good on the ball and has a good reading of the game.

Surely the best way to protect a lead, is score again.

Depends on the opponent and their strengths. I'm not an advocate of sitting on a lead, but against a very strong team where we have the lead late in the game, bringing on a Milner or (in the old days) a Vierra, to keep things tight is probably better odds than going hell for leather for another goal.

FantasyIreland said:
Samir Nasri has been freed from his shackles to terrorise Premier League defences.

And Yaya Toure gives new boss Manuel Pellegrini the credit for the French ace’s new lease of life, for placing the emphasis on attacking football.

Nasri scored twice and was a constant menace to the Swansea defence as the Blues eventually overpowered the Feisty Welsh side, his first double since he scored both goals for Arsenal in a 2-1 win over Fulham which sent the Gunners top of the league, three years ago.

That season he scored 15, easily the best return of his career, was named French Footballer of the Year and performed well enough to prompt City into a successful £25million bid, beating neighbours United to the punch.

But his career stalled under Roberto Mancini, as the Italian’s bid to cajole the player into greater consistency, and a better work rate, as well as a spat with a French journalist which led to an exile from his international squad, took effect.

Yaya feels that Pellegrini’s more attack-minded philosophy – which has cost the Blues points this season – has helped to restore Nasri to the point of becoming a true world-class talent.

“This year we play more attacking, and the focus of the team is on attack,” said Toure, who has become a close friend of the mercurial star. “The team play very well together and Samir has his freedom.

“When you look at him playing before at Arsenal, he has this same freedom now. Pellegrini allows players like him to attack and enjoy this freedom and it’s fantastic for him and the club.

“When he signed for City, the first year was quite difficult for him. You have to understand tactically that first year was quite hard for him, because he is such an offensive player and when you tell players like that to defend, it affects them, it’s not easy. But this year he is doing everything - he’s been amazing.

I hate to disagree with Yaya, but what's stood out for me this season has been Nasri's much increased workrate and tracking back. It was noticeable on Sunday, when he was roundly applauded by the fans near me for a particularly industrious piece of defensive work, that his eyes seemed to light up in appreciation for the recognition he received.

Tonight's match will tell us a little about Pelle. Have we been unlucky or are we set up wrongly away?

I think it's the former but I don't know. Anything but a win won't really do tonight.

Come on City.

Cobwebcat said:
Tonight's match will tell us a little about Pelle. Have we been unlucky or are we set up wrongly away?

I think it's the former but I don't know. Anything but a win won't really do tonight.

Come on City.

Yep. A win no excuses.

FantasyIreland said:
Not too bad at this managing lark is he?

Looking good. Dare I say it no Garcia.....for the win!

Arsenal just keep winning and winning. Rags are virtually out of it already.

Well done Pelle.

He's still got work to do to improve our depth of quality as certain players just aren't up to it IMO,however,thats not his fault and an 'issue' for the future.....

The impact he has made has impressed me greatly,our football is some of the very best I've watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.