Discuss Pellegrini

chicagoblues said:
Interesting break down from Hull game..
<a class="postlink" href="http://eplindex.com/39034/manchester-city-20-hull-city-tactical-analysis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://eplindex.com/39034/manchester-ci ... lysis.html</a>
That matches up with what I feel like I've been saying. I really think we need to consider a 4-3-3. Either Milner or Garcia would help.

(Anyone interested in Garcia-bashing can save it. Not really interested and he can form the base of the three in central midfield just fine.)

It really was the worst kind of bad luck to have injuries to both centre backs so early in his management career here .
I think that the absence particularly of Vinnie has genuinely thrown a major spanner into the plans for this period , and as soon as he is back we will all see a huge improvement .
It was clear in the Newcastle game how important our skipper is to the boss and to his system - and even clearer in his absence how much we miss him. We have to be thankful that there was still transfer time to get cover in even if Demichelis is not everyone's first choice , I will trust the gaffer in his choice .
Early days yet and much work to do , but much to look forward to and much to be grateful for!

No engineering has nothing to do with football, but to be an engineer you have to be detailed and methodical and I think based on that background Pellegrini is likely to notice the weaknesses in the side if we can all see them. Give him time. 3 games in, 2 wins and 1 defeat. Injuries at the back that have been addressed and a better squad than last season I am sure he will be fine.

taconinja said:
chicagoblues said:
Interesting break down from Hull game..
<a class="postlink" href="http://eplindex.com/39034/manchester-city-20-hull-city-tactical-analysis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://eplindex.com/39034/manchester-ci ... lysis.html</a>
That matches up with what I feel like I've been saying. I really think we need to consider a 4-3-3. Either Milner or Garcia would help.

(Anyone interested in Garcia-bashing can save it. Not really interested and he can form the base of the three in central midfield just fine.)
I agree.. drop one striker and Milner in middle would really make the difference .

andyhinch said:
karen7 said:
Honestly the fact he is an engineer has naff all to do with football! other managers are successful without the aid of an engineering degree
On the flip side I'm an engineer and probably a shit football manager.

I bet you can build a nice bridge though?

So far I prefer Mancini's system.

I liked being solid at the back. Rather win 1-0 than draw 5-5.

We all knew the new system was coming but its too risky for me and my nerves. We don't look organised but its early days and if we turn into Barca 2 (as seems to be the plan) I'll have no complaints. Just not sure we have the personnel to play this way and could get taken apart by a fast decent team.
Something we haven't had to worry about for a long while.

I'm getting the feeling we have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Cobwebcat said:
So far I prefer Mancini's system.

I liked being solid at the back. Rather win 1-0 than draw 5-5.

We all knew the new system was coming but its too risky for me and my nerves. We don't look organised but its early days and if we turn into Barca 2 (as seems to be the plan) I'll have no complaints. Just not sure we have the personnel to play this way and could get taken apart by a fast decent team.
Something we haven't had to worry about for a long while.

I'm getting the feeling we have thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

To be fair we have only given up 1 goal from open play. Hardly 5-5 draws going on. Same issues we had under Mancini, defending set pieces.

andyhinch said:
karen7 said:
Honestly the fact he is an engineer has naff all to do with football! other managers are successful without the aid of an engineering degree
On the flip side I'm an engineer and probably a shit football manager.

In the 60s and 70s, Crewe Alexandra were managed by a milkman by the name of Ernie Tagg. That's right. A milkman named Ernie! They won nothing but at least he was successful enough to keep them in the football league.

During our title year, it seemed like other teams in the league didn't want to accept we were that good, but finally caught on about 1/4 to 1/2 way through the season that they had no chance of winning unless they defended and looked for the counter. Also, I think they wanted to try their offensive tactics in the early part of the season to see what they were capable of. Our strikers were all on fire, and if we would simply maintain possession, eventually we would eventually get the win. Mancini adopted the philosophy that with enough pressure, the dam will eventually burst, but it made us look one-dimensional. I thought it was a good idea to try and do something different trying 3 at the back to make us look less one-dimensional, but we simply didn't execute well, and weren't clinical when it came to finishing.

What to rate Pellegrini on after three games? He seems to be a good motivator so far, and his past players recommend him. The true test is whether he can get us to break down teams that bunker without succumbing to the counter-attack. It looks like we are trying to get more width, and go over the top more, but defending the counter has not gone well. Still to early to tell in my opinion, but we need to give Pellegrini and the players all the support possible this season until he gets the team playing the way he wants. I don't anticipate we see the team playing how he wants until Nov-Dec. No need to pile on unrealistic expectations on them at this point, just get a top four finish, and progress to group stage of Champions league, anything beyond that is bonus for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.