Discuss Pellegrini

Gaylord du Bois said:
Beezer said:
During our title year, it seemed like other teams in the league didn't want to accept we were that good, but finally caught on about 1/4 to 1/2 way through the season that they had no chance of winning unless they defended and looked for the counter. Also, I think they wanted to try their offensive tactics in the early part of the season to see what they were capable of. Our strikers were all on fire, and if we would simply maintain possession, eventually we would eventually get the win. Mancini adopted the philosophy that with enough pressure, the dam will eventually burst, but it made us look one-dimensional. I thought it was a good idea to try and do something different trying 3 at the back to make us look less one-dimensional, but we simply didn't execute well, and weren't clinical when it came to finishing.

What to rate Pellegrini on after three games? He seems to be a good motivator so far, and his past players recommend him. The true test is whether he can get us to break down teams that bunker without succumbing to the counter-attack. It looks like we are trying to get more width, and go over the top more, but defending the counter has not gone well. Still to early to tell in my opinion, but we need to give Pellegrini and the players all the support possible this season until he gets the team playing the way he wants. I don't anticipate we see the team playing how he wants until Nov-Dec. No need to pile on unrealistic expectations on them at this point, just get a top four finish, and progress to group stage of Champions league, anything beyond that is bonus for me.
Top four? It's got to be top two with our squad or we've regressed big time. Top three would be a pisser but at least it means we wouldn't need to pre qualify but fourth? fuck that.

Its called self deception mate. Hide the truth from oneself by downplaying expectations

PhuketBlue said:
Ducado said:
Everyone has the right to an opinion

But I must caution that if you say something on here, and the complete opposite happens (like it's just a poor start to the season, that happens to many team) it will be dragged up and used against you forever and a day.

Just one to keep in mind

I rarely see the post almost begging people to believe that under Mancini we'd never win anything (can't remember if it was BS or DD) being brought up, so maybe ridiculously presumptive posts aren't quite as damaging as you suggest.

Personally I don't (and didn't) think the manager is the problem, it's the players. I think Mancini recognised this and that's why he criticised them publicly and demanded changes which weren't supported by the board. Pellegrini has just inherited the same issues.

Correct but we should have backed Mancini and got rid of the players no matter their name and moved on as fergie has done in the past. I can't stand some of the excuses being made on here for pellegrini though. And I am looking forward to mr shears or dd giving their opinions on this latest result

He just fucking stands there like a lemon all game - has he said a word to the players yet?

Really disappointed by him so far, he came out with all these confident statements about attacking, offensive football and what not, yet we haven't seen anything of the kind (except against Newcastle).

Also very boring in his press conferences and general demeanour - I hope the squad isn't flat and demotivated because of this.

PhuketBlue said:
Ducado said:

But I must caution that if you say something on here, and the complete opposite happens (like it's just a poor start to the season, that happens to many team) it will be dragged up and used against you forever and a day.

Just one to keep in mind

I rarely see the post almost begging people to believe that under Mancini we'd never win anything (can't remember if it was BS or DD) being brought up, so maybe ridiculously presumptive posts aren't quite as damaging as you suggest.

Personally I don't (and didn't) think the manager is the problem, it's the players. I think Mancini recognised this and that's why he criticised them publicly and demanded changes which weren't supported by the board. Pellegrini has just inherited the same issues.

Spot on mate. The players are largely responsible. Last season some of them were whingeing that they couldn't play 3-5-2 that is embarrassing for internationals. As were the growing pains for learning zonal and now man 2 man marking. Let's give MP the time to put his style on the team and one day he could well be a legend like Mancini.

Not been impressed so far, particularly with the wisdom behind his substitutions and selections.

But people need to consider that it may take some time for him to get to really know the players and how he can use them. The players are not puns, or pieces in a scrabble game to be played with and manipulated, they are beings with souls and so they should STEP UP!!!! and perform regardless of the circumstances at the moment.

Pellegrini is very experienced. He has a problem in his hands at the moment in terms of handling the players and getting the best out of them but we should not set up the plank just yet. He will steady the ship eventually.

bondsman said:
PhuketBlue said:
Ducado said:

Just one to keep in mind

Correct but we should have backed Mancini and got rid of the players no matter their name and moved on as fergie has done in the past. I can't stand some of the excuses being made on here for pellegrini though. And I am looking forward to mr shears or dd giving their opinions on this latest result

It could be a long wait.

RandomJ said:
marco said:
i know we had injuries today and some will use that as an exuse, but i feel this man is out of his depth

He's massively out of his depth. There's a reason he's won fuck all in his career. He's just a yes man for the board.

In European football

Mancini CV

- Three Italian titles
- Six Italian cups
- 1 PL title
- 1 FA cup

Pellegrini CV

- zero

Ahhhh, looking back at how crazy Mancini was.....Winning, that is important! no goal! No goal! No goal!

Brings a tear to my eye.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.