Discuss Pellegrini

I criticised Pellegrini for his tactics at home to Hull, but I thought he learned today.

Lescott really struggles bringing the ball out f defence when he's on his right hand side, and so he paired Garcia and Nasty together and it worked. Nasty was in the team of the day according to Opta.

In the circumstances of 6 changes on an already weakened team, we were never going to play flowing football and the reasons are glaringly obvious, they have nothing to do with the manager

Credit to him for making the right defensive choice, and for sticking by Hart and his team. I like his calm measured responses and I believe the team spirit will grow.

Criticism was due after Cardiff away where we threw away the points, and at home to Hull. I don't think it's due after Stoke. We really were up against it. I'd like to see what any of our rivals would have done with more than half a team out. It's hard enough as it is with a first choice new team, let alone one with so many changes

We have the chance to move forward now. Plzen will be difficult as they will give it everything

flb said:
But don't confuse that with my love for the club Sir Moderator -sat in your comfey leather armchair dreaming up opinions of fans you don't know two shits about.
Doesn't look that comfy to me.

1845_bond.jpg

tolmie's hairdoo said:
It can't be a coincidence we share an identical record with United and Chelsea, currently, both who have also changed the manager?

Yet, both Mourinho and Moyes are already fully conversant in the ways of the Premier League.

They say one man doesn't make a team but I would beg to differ, and dare say, Barcelona fans would also agree.

The loss of Kompany has also coincided with our worst performances and results under Mancini over the course of two seasons.

Vinny's return will allow Pellegrini to expand his thinking and selection processes by ten-fold.

Its not a coincidence that we are level with ManU and Chelsea. Moyes isn't up to the job and Mourinho (thankfully) decided to try and win the PL without a decent striker. The game against Everton was us last season. Never seen so many chances go begging. I said before the title is there for the taking and with our squad it should be us in pole position to take it.

As for this reliance on Kompany. Its beyond ridiculous. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

Gaylord du Bois said:
BillyShears said:
hgblue said:
For the record, I've always rated Kompany, and the only players, from memory, that I've never rated are Garcia and Sinclair. The problem with having an opinion is that it can come back to bite you on the arse I suppose, but to be honest, I'm only voicing concerns that are surely shared by the vast majority of blues at the moment? I'm not calling for the manager to be sacked, and I retain the hope that it's early days and he will come good given time, but I'm worried and I don't mind admitting it.

I've always liked your posts hg you know that, and I completely agree with the sentiments in this one too. Absolutely this forum is almost the only place to come and discuss the manager. But there seems to be a lack of appreciation from certain posters to the reality that we are four games into a new season with new players bedding in and a new manager. Given that it seems unwise to make any rash or sweeping generalisation about whether he will be a success or a failure.

You know what I think but i'll stick it up here again. Pellegrini is a top manager who's teams have historically played exciting fluid attacking football. The prospect of him having the players we have at our disposal is mouthwatering. We might not yet have seen much of any of this, but for me it'll come and it'll come sooner than people think.

My gut tells me this forum will be a very different place after we spank the rags next weekend.
That's what we all want Billy but there doesn't appear to be the slightest whiff of epiphany in the air at the moment.

i agree with both of you....

i hope pellers comes good and its WAY to early to be even thinking of getting rid of the manager......I also think there is some "point scoring" going on with certain posters but its not all of them......a lot like me who have a reasonably good knowledge of football are watching the games and seeing absolutely nothing to be positive about in terms of change of style to this fast paced attacking fluid football......plus we have lost our stability at the back....we are getting dominated by mid table teams and that is a huge worry......maybe the transition between styles is too quick? We have gone from midfield dominance (maybe over defensive at times under RM ) where we rarely looked like losing to being wide open in midfield and getting run off the park

Pellers had a great base to work from - should he have come in and just tinkered with things and taken his time to get the players to slowly adapt to new ways instead of overhauling everything and destroying what the team has been built on for the past few seasons (a very solid back 4 and midfield system)????????????? while just injecting the likes of ferd and navas gradually?<br /><br />-- Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:15 am --<br /><br />
gio's side step said:
One thing I do know about Pellegrini ... Reading this quote from the OS leaves me concluding he must be an alcoholic

' I think we played well'

I hope that is just him keeping his frustrations "in the dressing room"

gordondaviesmoustache said:
dxb-blue said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Perhaps if he hadn't posted that it "looks like the joke is on us", after four games, then perhaps people could take the rest of what he posted more seriously.

It's quite simple.
I took great pleasure reminding all of my rag mates, family members etc that City's best signing during the summer was Moyes joining the scum on the basis that he had won nowt.
I was genuinely excited at the prospect of City playing a new attacking free flowing style of football, instead we are served up a load of turgid crap, where we were lucky to not concede to Hull before we scored and then get a real hammering yesterday.
It sounds like the joke is on you, rather than the rest of us.

Can't argue with that statement

You're clearly a very sensitive soul.

BillyShears said:
hgblue said:
We've not taken a step backwards, we've taken one giant fucking leap backwards.

You see for me this is what i'm talking about. that's a huge over statement and simply not true. Would we have performed any better with Silva, Kompany, Clichy, out of the side under Mancini - the answer's no. You can dispute it but I'd suggest you were kidding yourself.

while i kind of agree with you billy i also think that under RM while we may not have looked like winning it......we wouldnt have looked like we were going to lose it either which we did yesterday

Exeter Blue I am here said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
I have slept on yesterday performance and let me just put one thing out there.

Not one blue,one wants Pellegrini to fail so they can say "told you so". For people to think that blues want to score cheap shots is really quite silly.

My concern is this.Pellegrini has won nothing.
Yesterday he looked like a defeated man already.
He looks haunted as if he is thinking "Wtf have I took on here".

The players for sure need to buck up and start earning what they are paid for.
I still think that Pellegrini will be gone by Christmas and replaced by somebosy else-Who,I have no idea however do we really think that the Spanish pair and Khaldoon have not looked at the 4 performances and thought bar Newcastle this is unacceptable.
Somebody posted last year that Mansour/Khaldoon are winners.They don't accept second best.
So my question is this.Are we happy to just progress in europe-not guaranteed at all and accept a non trophy winning season?
I for one am not but my opinion or anyones on here are not what the board look at.
I will stand by my guns that the sacking of Mancini will put our club back 3 yrs at least but that in no uncertain terms means I or anyone wants us to fail.
Next 2 games are pivotal in our season.
I am not sure why but I just have a bad feeling about things that are going on. Of course off the pitch it is going well,but I for one currently am interested in on pitch performances.

And yet that is precisely the allegation you levelled against the Mancini 'outers' repeatedly for weeks on here! That they hoped City would lose so they could be proven 'right'. You really don't do irony do you?!! That notwithstanding, the continuous linking of the twin decisions to sack Mancini and install Pellegrini, is ill advised. Mancini was an increasingly busted flush, both on and off the field, and the decision to remove him was the correct one in my opinion. The fact that his successor looks to be making a pigs ear of it so far, doesn't change that fact.

As to the rest of your post, I largely share your concerns. I don't know much about Pellegrini in terms of his commitment to a task, but I wonder how much tenacity a 60 year old, who has never managed outside of a Spanish speaking country, who has just lost both of his parents, and who is presently in charge of the one club the English media loves to undermine, will demonstrate when sections of the City crowd (and there are already some morons amidst our number, trying to start Mancini chants) turn on him, as they undoubtedly will if this lunatic board is anything to go by.
The next two games are huge, and based on what we've seen so far, I can see little grounds for optimism in either of them. We have a squad full of talented players, but it is imbalanced, it lacks pace in key areas, and has been found repeatedly wanting over the course of the past 18 months against particular tactics. We are gonna get pressed all season on our travels, and if Pellegrini doesn't change his set up quickly and get his players to demonstrate far more hunger and aggression, then as a prediction I'd venture we ain't gonna finish in the top half, never mind a Champions League spot

Not wanting to be pedantic but show me once where I have said that?
In relation to Mancini-All I have done is fight his corner when certain posters try to rubbish his achievements at our club.
The bottom line is this.Fergie was a winner because he fucked players off who didn't tow the party line..A **** he may have been but there is no doubting who was boss.
Look at our club.Mancini tried it and what happened-The players win and got Mancini sacked.
Again-I want the new manager to be a success however I have seen regression over 4 games.
All I hear is -all will be well when VK is back...What a load of fucking shite.
We aren't a one man team.
Maybe my prediction of him being flirted next week was silly but come xmas I will stand by my prediction of him being sacked as he is NOT the man to take us forward.
The tail is wagging the dog at City and until those tails are sold this will always be the case.
Time time time-Sorry you shouldnt get time when ypu have had nearly 100 million invested in your squad over the summer.

So, what is there to discuss about Pellegrini? A glance at the table shows that we are in 4th place with 7 points after 4 matches, we have the best goal difference in the division, we are the equal highest scorers and, though 8 teams have conceded fewer goals than we have, we have kept clean sheets in 3 of our four matches. Yet there is a feeling of unease and many posters on here are not as prepared to show patience as they were. This is very like last season, when we took 8 points from our first 4 games, including a point away to Stoke in our 4th match, following Crouch's piece of basketball. The grumbling really began the following week after the defeat in the Bernabeu in the CL. The point is that only results will do Pellegrini's case any good. It's no use saying he's new, that he needs time, that he needn't win anything this season. He has to get us in the top 3 at least, he has to show we can compete with Europe's best - these are now minimum requirements of a City manager, and many supporters are worried that he may not keep us in the top 3. I'd be surprised if City don't get out of this group in the CL but I think we'd have come through this group in either of the last 2 campaigns. It doesn't look that difficult.

The case for the "worriers" is that Mancini had got the team performing at a high level. There were poor performances, but even on bad days we were a hard team to beat and over a season we were the second best team in England, and on a good day we were comfortably the best. What makes it more difficult for Pellegrini is that the club, and a group of fans, wanted Mancini out, but no-one actually wanted Pellegrini in. The club's choice was obviously Guardiola : most of the outers wanted Mourinho. Pellegrini did not figure in the fans' candidates until quite a while after Guardiola had gone to Munich. Only when the news broke that City were in advanced negotiations with Malaga did any posters discover that he was a great manager, better by far than Mancini. Many fans continued to chant for Mancini, sing obscene songs about the new manager-in-waiting but by the start of the new season hoped for the best and wished him well. They were never told that he needed time. Rather that he would play more attractive football, attack more, not be as defensive as Mancini and "take us to the next level". Now, unfortunately, the outers are reluctant in the extreme to make any statement as to what precisely they expect from him this season.

As yet Pellegrini still has to show that he can achieve the club's lofty ambitions and meet the fans' high expectations. The defeat at Cardiff was a severe blow, but nothing has gone seriously wrong as yet. We got a point playing poorly yesterday while Chelsea got nothing for playing well! A point at Stoke is not a bad result. But you don't win titles getting points, or even three, playing badly against poor opposition. Such points may help at the end of the season, but you have to show in the course of the season that you can get three points playing well against very good teams. At the moment Pellegrini has only shown that we can play poorly against teams which will be mid-table at best by the end of the season. He hasn't yet given any proof that we can actually play well against such teams' with the exception of Newcastle, who didn't play at all.

He can make a start with a convincing display and good win in Pilsen on Tuesday and with another good performance and three points against United next Sunday. That indeed would reassure the doubters, though the doubts and worries will not go away fully until the end of a successful season.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
The cookie monster said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
It can't be a coincidence we share an identical record with United and Chelsea, currently, both who have also changed the manager?

Yet, both Mourinho and Moyes are already fully conversant in the ways of the Premier League.

They say one man doesn't make a team but I would beg to differ, and dare say, Barcelona fans would also agree.

The loss of Kompany has also coincided with our worst performances and results under Mancini over the course of two seasons.

Vinny's return will allow Pellegrini to expand his thinking and selection processes by ten-fold.
Every thread going revolves around this same quote
Wait till we get vinnie back
Is the only way our team clicks because of vinnie,if it is we are in trouble tolmie

Sounds like a one man team.

Take Messi out of the Barcelona team and you start to realise, it's not a bad thing.

PSG were taking the piss out of Barca at the Camp Nou until they went for broke and brought on a half-fit hobbling Messi.

The psychological impact certain players have can't be stressed enough.

If Silva, Yaya, even Aguero are missing from the team-sheet, I'm like 'Oh, well'.

I see Komps out of that back four and like our opponents, 'City are half a team'.

Look at Gerrard at Liverpool, an amazing force of nature for over a decade.

Instead of the shite Mancini bought last summer, that £50m should have gone on another centre-back and another left-back.

I'm pretty sure Mancini wanted Thiago Silva? De Rossi? Martinez? Interesting that we didn't sign a single defensive player in this transfer window until Kompany got injured and we panicked.

Without Kompany the team has no identity I feel.

This is his team and we have a swagger and a confidence with him on the pitch.

Bad time to go missing but we are still picking up points playing poorly.

Feel October should be a great month.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.