Discuss Pellegrini

recent games
Wigan.....lost
Norwich.....lost
B. Munich......lost
Arsenal.......lost
Cardiff.......lost

We have lost our winning mentality & it is alarming, bye the way what has Pellegrini done to impress anybody.Not a thing for me.

mike channon´s windmill said:
argyle said:
One loss was all it took for a thread like this to appear. One loss.

I think you need to look at the "just one loss" more contextually
This result was really really bad for us and pellegrini. However you look at it nothing as changed from our cup final display For god sake we are in the champions league and up against the best. With all respect to Cardiff we were expected to stroll this. Anyway well done Malky and well done Cardiff. As for Pellers and the lads pull your fuckin socks up and get stuck in.

This guy has just learned a very importanat lesson. City are tailor made for teams like Cardiff, Southampton, Stoke & Swansea who batter you, are in your face and use old-fashioned BIG centre forwards. Corners are their forte. Picking the likes of Garcia in central defence must have got them licking their lips before kick-off.

This is a taste of things to come for our recent signings and after this display the rest of the lower order and recently promoted teams won't be able to wait to play us.

A wake-up call for Pelligrini to get some proper defenders in there.

ballinio said:
recent games
Wigan.....lost
Norwich.....lost
B. Munich......lost
Arsenal.......lost
Cardiff.......lost

We have lost our winning mentality & it is alarming, bye the way what has Pellegrini done to impress anybody.Not a thing for me.

Hasn't impressed me either , so far , but it's early days .....

teddykgb said:
thenabster said:
teddykgb said:
So we lose because of shambolic defending and an inability to penetrate the bus and your tactical suggestion is to deploy a holding midfielder ?

Yaya and Fernandinho both "like" to defend. We did not lose today because we were caught on the counter and didn't have a deep midfielder to break up play. Not one of our goals were due to this "tactical error". We had the majority of the ball and Fernandinho and Yaya both won the ball back at an acceptable rate.

Again, not one goal was scored because of anything a holding midfielder would have done. Yaya didn't track his runner for the first goal, a mistake Barry has made several times recently as well. Nonetheless, they were deep and setup, there's nothing a holding mid would ahve done there, excepting maybe a different person might have put in the effort to track his man, which is a player issue, not a tactical one. The team was in position to defend, they simply didn't defend. I'm not sure how a holding midfielder helps us not concede from corners, but if you can prove that one, i'm all ears. Again, the team didn't execute, they were not beaten tactically.

As far as Boyata, if that's the "answer" then the question is quite obviously the problem. Choosing between Boyata and Garcia is like choosing between cancer and AIDS (just a joke). Boyata would never have been inserted over Lescott, and although Garcia was incredibly shaky, he managed to not be at fault for any of their goals.

To summarize, if we had been tactically annhilated, we wouldn't have dominated possession, chances, etc. Or if we had, the other team would have broken well and scored on the counter. None of that happened today, although it did come close a few times. We lost because we played like boneheads in our own half. This should have been a 1-0 "lucky to get out of there" victory, the kind that class PL teams pull off all the time.

That's your opinion.
A holding midfielder wasn't only needed to prevent Cardiff from scoring the first goal (with a holding midfielder Kim would had have a much lesser chance to slalom though our defense like he did) . He was also needed because the whole game we never got into sync, got into our rhythm because Cardiff kept coming at us since our midfield was thin. if we had a more crowded midfield we would have easily beaten them in the midfield battle which we didn't. The whole of the first half we had no clear cut chances and Dzeko's goal was mostly because of Dzeko's talent then anything else.

We had 56% possession and Cardiff was hardly getting forward with any ease. The facts just don't fit your narrative. If you really think we needed to do more in midfield, then you're arguing for removing Aguero or Dzeko for an extra midfielder, but that likely would have just resulted in even more sideways passing. We had too much time and space all too often, and our CBs and FBs were lending nothing to the attack for large portions of the match There's no reason why a holding midfielder would have been in any better position to prevent Kim's run than where our team was when it actually happened. The lapse was not tactical, we just didn't cover th erun.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I think MP failed tactically as much as some players failed us on the field. I think that if we played with a 4-3-3 with a holding midfielder and Fernandinho and Yaya licensed to go forward without worrying about defense too much we could had have a much more sustainable pressure on Cardiff as well as build up play more properly. We had more possession than Cardiff because ultimately Cardiff was counterattacking using Campbell speed to create havoc in the defense. Medel didn't allow yaya and Fernandinho to make good passes and Gunnarson and Kim kept them on their backheel.

bobmcfc said:
How was he in his post match interview ?

BSh5XqgCUAEfKw3.jpg

ballinio said:
recent games
Wigan.....lost
Reading.....won
Norwich.....lost
Newcastle.....won
Cardiff.......lost

^changed that^ ... Pre-season training games aren't real matches.

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
thenabster said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
^^ THIS ^^

That's BS. We are playing for the title not for the top half. If you play for the title there are only a certain number of defeats you can afford and if we lose away at Cardiff what will happen when we're playing away at Old Trafford or at Chelsea. Why are the players allowed to be blamed but not the manager?

Champions don't drop points in these fixtures. They might go behind but they come back and quality sticks out its boot. We never seem to display the quality in the team when it's time to be counted.

United lost to Burnley the same season they won the League

I think what Pellegrini needs now is a couple defenders and to get our keeper back. We have legacy players who no longer have roles to play clogging up the payroll. We have a keeper who was strutting on the catwalk a few days ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.