Discuss Pellegrini

Balti said:
Blankomania said:
BobKowalski said:
You keep pushing this button.

I don't think that Pellers can manage successfully at this level - for what its worth I don't think Moyes can either. I thought that long before either were appointed and have seen nothing so far to change my mind. Both can manage lower level teams and manage them successfully but I think the job at City and across the way is several levels above both men's capabilities.

The one thing that keeps crossing my mind watching Pellegrini is that I've seen this before and that was Hodgson at Liverpool. Both did well in Europe with unfashionable teams, both were lauded by media, pundits and players. Both followed managers who were successful but didn't score highly in man management skills. Yet Hodgson never looked right at Liverpool. Just didn't fit and never got what the job meant in the way that smarmy git Rodgers does.

The Cardiff game where we went 1-0 in the 60th and then lost it. Actually went 3-1 down. That shit shouldn't happen. Not against Cardiff. Bad enough chucking it away against Real Madrid but Cardiff? Then Hull came out and played football. Fucking football and at times better than us. As did Stoke. What happened to the parked bus and teams fearful of a spanking?

Its not about the football or the PR bollocks of playing attractive free flowing football. Its about the mental application. Sort of application where we were away at WBA and a man down and a goal down and won the game in the last minute. Or Norwich. Or just bossing the game and deciding today we wouldn't score for love nor money but at least we bossed the fucking thing.

So is Pellers the man? Nope. But then I never thought he was. You only had to check his CV to know that.

This Hodgson comparison is pretty random. Hodgson has managed 15 clubs in europe several them being in weak leagues , sweden switzerland etc. He failed at several of those clubs and many fans were happy to see the back of him. In the premier league he took several average premier league teams and made them midtable. Which fulham were already. Hodgeson got hyped because he was british plain and simple

Pellegrini has managed three teams in europe taking malaga and villareal, two unfancied teams in spain and got them finishing in champions league spots. Even splitting the top 2 in spain with villareal which is a great achievement. He then managed real madrid at which he achieved a highest point tally for them with a 75% win rate. At all three clubs the fans did not want rid of him as manager.

he has won the inter toto as well while in europe so it's not as if he has no pedigree to speak of

Well you have to start winning major european trophies somewhere....

I like to stay optimistic, but i guess the forum would be boring if everyone was.

Blankomania said:
BobKowalski said:
Ducado said:
You see, I don't think you and quite a few other do hope he turns it around, what your hoping for is some vindication that the hurt you felt would be justified when Roberto got the boot, I have read enough on here to draw my own conclusions about what is going on.

And when it does turn around which it will in my opinion you and the rest will be nowhere to be seen, it's exactly the same thing that happened before, we win a few games the outers are nowhere to be seen.

Sure it's fine to air your disappointment, I am not that happy with the last few games, but I know that 4 games in is not the time to be calling for the managers head on a platter

I don't think that Pellers can manage successfully at this level - for what its worth I don't think Moyes can either. I thought that long before either were appointed and have seen nothing so far to change my mind. Both can manage lower level teams and manage them successfully but I think the job at City and across the way is several levels above both men's capabilities.

The one thing that keeps crossing my mind watching Pellegrini is that I've seen this before and that was Hodgson at Liverpool. Both did well in Europe with unfashionable teams, both were lauded by media, pundits and players. Both followed managers who were successful but didn't score highly in man management skills. Yet Hodgson never looked right at Liverpool. Just didn't fit and never got what the job meant in the way that smarmy git Rodgers does.

The Cardiff game where we went 1-0 in the 60th and then lost it. Actually went 3-1 down. That shit shouldn't happen. Not against Cardiff. Bad enough chucking it away against Real Madrid but Cardiff? Then Hull came out and played football. Fucking football and at times better than us. As did Stoke. What happened to the parked bus and teams fearful of a spanking?

Its not about the football or the PR bollocks of playing attractive free flowing football. Its about the mental application. Sort of application where we were away at WBA and a man down and a goal down and won the game in the last minute. Or Norwich. Or just bossing the game and deciding today we wouldn't score for love nor money but at least we bossed the fucking thing.

So is Pellers the man? Nope. But then I never thought he was. You only had to check his CV to know that.

This Hodgson comparison is pretty random. Hodgson has managed 15 clubs in europe several them being in weak leagues , sweden switzerland etc. He failed at several at those clubs and many fans were happy to see the back of him. In the premier league he took several average premier league teams and made them midtabel. Which fulham were already.

Pellegrini has managed three teams in europe taking malaga and villareal, two unfancied teams in spain and got them finishing in champions league spots. Even splitting the top 2 in spain with villareal which is a great achievement. He then managed real madrid at which he achieved a highest point tally for them with a 75% win rate. At all three clubs the fans did noot want rid of him as manager.

Splitting the top 2 in Spain and finishing second is nice. I would suggest winning it by finishing first would have been better, something Benitez did. Having the highest points tally with Real Madrid is great (although it has now been beaten I believe) but not so great if you finish second and go out to an unfancied side in the cup and the last 16 of the CL.

I know that every pundit/commentator bangs on about what a great job Pellegrini did at unfancied Malaga or wherever but then they banged on about what a great job Hodgson did at Fulham and that fans should be patient and it will be fine by Christmas once he had them playing his system and that Hodgson was a manager who needed time to build etc etc. Well they were right. It was fine by Christmas. They sacked him.

There is a different skillset to managing a team that is part of the elite where you have to win and win well every time you play and managing the plucky underdog where you are satisfied with a point at somewhere like Stoke. The Mourinho's, the Mancini's the Benitez's of this world are rarely satisfied. Mancinii could win 5-1 and moan about conceding a goal afterwards. Its a different mindset and nothing in Peller's CV or from what I have seen so far suggests he has it.

BobKowalski said:
Blankomania said:
BobKowalski said:

This Hodgson comparison is pretty random. Hodgson has managed 15 clubs in europe several them being in weak leagues , sweden switzerland etc. He failed at several at those clubs and many fans were happy to see the back of him. In the premier league he took several average premier league teams and made them midtabel. Which fulham were already.

Pellegrini has managed three teams in europe taking malaga and villareal, two unfancied teams in spain and got them finishing in champions league spots. Even splitting the top 2 in spain with villareal which is a great achievement. He then managed real madrid at which he achieved a highest point tally for them with a 75% win rate. At all three clubs the fans did noot want rid of him as manager.

Splitting the top 2 in Spain and finishing second is nice. I would suggest winning it by finishing first would have been better, something Benitez did. Having the highest points tally with Real Madrid is great (although it has now been beaten I believe) but not so great if you finish second and go out to an unfancied side in the cup and the last 16 of the CL.

I know that every pundit/commentator bangs on about what a great job Pellegrini did at unfancied Malaga or wherever but then they banged on about what a great job Hodgson did at Fulham and that fans should be patient and it will be fine by Christmas once he had them playing his system and that Hodgson was a manager who needed time to build etc etc. Well they were right. It was fine by Christmas. They sacked him.

There is a different skillset to managing a team that is part of the elite where you have to win and win well every time you play and managing the plucky underdog where you are satisfied with a point at somewhere like Stoke. The Mourinho's, the Mancini's the Benitez's of this world are rarely satisfied. Mancinii could win 5-1 and moan about conceding a goal afterwards. Its a different mindset and nothing in Peller's CV or from what I have seen so far suggests he has it.

Well it depends if you rate the Argentinian league or not...

I was just pointing out that the hodgson comparison is a bit harsh. I would also like to say that people are never to old to do anything. Skiing, skydiving, winning their first major european trophy...

I'm an optimist as I stated before.

So you would want Benitez in if we sacked Pellegrini? I mean he got a lot of criticism at liverpool towards the end, and failed to win the league despite spending a large amount of money. He also struggled at inter after taking over from jose. No managers perfect.

BlueAnorak said:
citytill1die84 said:
Must say 1 thing that won't help us is if us fans get on Pellegrinis back. Many of u want him gone after 4 games :( I admit it hasn't been good i've moaned myself during games but I back him and trust him 100%. Get behind him and the team on Sunday against the rags show him and them that we back them.

If he's not good enough, he's not good enough. No amount of "Time" or "getting behind him" will make him better. So far it's not looking good. If we lose the derby next Sunday it will be worse.

All I know is that Mancini never had 2 bad back to back games (that I can remember), let alone 3 so it's looking very much like a downgrade to me though I won't make any decision on him till I've seen him in charge for at least 3 months.

Try last the and the full season at that. Mancini was lucky Chelsea Spurs & Arsenal were crap otherwise last season could've been much much worse.

bluethunder said:
i think pellegrini wasn't aware that some of our players are very lazy sometimes.

had he known that toure is not a good DM, had he known that Nasri, Milner, Rodwell, Zabaleta are useless......... the man would buy many quality players in the last window. now we must wait for the next window. the next months are going to be a rollercoaster.

oh jesus christ.....

Blankomania said:
BobKowalski said:
Blankomania said:

I was just pointing out that the hodgson comparison is a bit harsh. I would also like to say that people are never to old to do anything. Skiing, skydiving, winning their first major european trophy...

So you would want Benitez in if we sacked Pellegrini? I mean he got a lot of criticism at liverpool towards the end, and failed to win the league despite spending a large amount of money. He also struggled at inter after taking over from jose. No managers perfect.

Actually I know sod all about the Argentinian league so I'll refrain from comment!

But you comment 'and failed to win the league despite spending a large amount of money' is interesting. So Rafa spends money to finish 2nd in the PL and is a failure whereas Pellers spends £200m to finish 2nd and its not a failure (in fact if you're Michael Cox of Zonal Marking Pellers 'overachieved').

Its interesting how Pellers time at Real Madrid has been reworked to one of achievement thwarted only by the politics of the club. Ironically Rafa also faced a difficult time politically with Hicks and Gillete and finished on a (then) record points haul for runners up spot yet 'he failed' despite winning the CL in his time there. Same results but different perceptions. The Pellegrini narrative has been superbly packaged and sold.

Yes I would have gone for Rafa over Pellers. But Ferran and Txiki don't want Rafa pissing on their chips any more then they wanted Mancini. There is a reason Pellers has the job and it isn't because of his CV

BobKowalski said:
Blankomania said:
BobKowalski said:

Actually I know sod all about the Argentinian league so I'll refrain from comment!

But you comment 'and failed to win the league despite spending a large amount of money' is interesting. So Rafa spends money to finish 2nd in the PL and is a failure whereas Pellers spends £200m to finish 2nd and its not a failure (in fact if you're Michael Cox of Zonal Marking Pellers 'overachieved').

Its interesting how Pellers time at Real Madrid has been reworked to one of achievement thwarted only by the politics of the club. Ironically Rafa also faced a difficult time politically with Hicks and Gillete and finished on a (then) record points haul for runners up spot yet 'he failed' despite winning the CL in his time there. Same results but different perceptions. The Pellegrini narrative has been superbly packaged and sold.

Yes I would have gone for Rafa over Pellers. But Ferran and Txiki don't want Rafa pissing on their chips any more then they wanted Mancini. There is a reason Pellers has the job and it isn't because of his CV

So which is it for you? Both successes under difficult circumstances or both fail to live up to expectation?

I never said it was a success that pellegrini finished 2nd, just that fans at the time thought that he warranted a second season from his performance. If I was to choose then they were both failures, they both should have won the league and had good enough players to do it.

Also I'd like to say Barcelona have had success with appointing managers not for there CV. Their current manager being a perfect example. Txixi and berg are barcelona men and are implementing that style here. Klopp at dortmund got his previous team relegated before getting appointed Dortmund coach.

I don't think anyone has been saying we have been great so far, and if we carry on the way we are playing then pellegrini will be in trouble. However at the moment we should get behind the manager especially before the derby, and get rid of this negative fan pressure that seems to be building.

BobKowalski said:

Me too and said so at the time. If you look at his record plus the fact he has vast experience in England and was available it was a perfect fit. Sadly I think your right in that board probably felt he wouldn't be compliant/subservient enough for them.

-------------------------------

The thing that's worrying me the most at the moment is that we simply aren't creating enough goal-scoring opportunities. We failed last season for one reason alone and that was because Dzeko, Aguero and Tevez were all off form and didn't produce what they are capable of through the course of the season. We were still creating plenty of chances for them at least though. Now even that's dried up. We're going to be relying on Negredo a lot because he is the one man in the squad who looks like a proper old school poacher who only needs a sniff of goal to get it done.

citytill1die84 said:
BlueAnorak said:
citytill1die84 said:
Must say 1 thing that won't help us is if us fans get on Pellegrinis back. Many of u want him gone after 4 games :( I admit it hasn't been good i've moaned myself during games but I back him and trust him 100%. Get behind him and the team on Sunday against the rags show him and them that we back them.

If he's not good enough, he's not good enough. No amount of "Time" or "getting behind him" will make him better. So far it's not looking good. If we lose the derby next Sunday it will be worse.

All I know is that Mancini never had 2 bad back to back games (that I can remember), let alone 3 so it's looking very much like a downgrade to me though I won't make any decision on him till I've seen him in charge for at least 3 months.

Try last the and the full season at that. Mancini was lucky Chelsea Spurs & Arsenal were crap otherwise last season could've been much much worse.

I love these revisionist scenarios where IF something different had happened then X lol

People even used to beat Mancini with the stick that we were lucky to win the league bcos QPR blah blah blah. It's just nonsense and makes me wonder what goes on in people's heads.

Berkovic_blue said:
BobKowalski said:

Me too and said so at the time. If you look at his record plus the fact he has vast experience in England and was available it was a perfect fit. Sadly I think your right in that board probably felt he wouldn't be compliant/subservient enough for them.

-------------------------------

The thing that's worrying me the most at the moment is that we simply aren't creating enough goal-scoring opportunities. We failed last season for one reason alone and that was because Dzeko, Aguero and Tevez were all off form and didn't produce what they are capable of through the course of the season. We were still creating plenty of chances for them at least though. Now even that's dried up. We're going to be relying on Negredo a lot because he is the one man in the squad who looks like a proper old school poacher who only needs a sniff of goal to get it done.

To be fair you don't have to be outspoken to be a great manager, ancellotti and hiddink spring to mind. I think the execs liked the style that pellegrini plays, and knew him from Spain.

As for the creativity part, we always lack creativity without silva we did under mancini and e did today. We should have bought mata instead of nasri when we had the chance. Should have got hazard, isco or even ozil in. But I guess we have to work with what we have got...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.