Do you want the glory hunters/tourists?

I am from Aylesbury in Bucks originally. I have supported City since 1970. Until I got married to lady from Saddleworth, I had no links to the Manchester area.

Having said that. I do have some sympathy with what the OP was trying to say. I think his main issue was the type of supporter we would get.

I agree with Mighty Quinn's sentiment
I'm more interested in people's motivations and personalities than what city they were born in to be honest.

Let's face it nobody has supported City over the last 30 odd years because they were a glory hunter. I would say most people support City because they have empathy with the club in someway shape or form. This can be being "born a blue" living in Manchester, or just feeling that you would rather support a team with soul rather than one which is going to win trophy after trophy.

I supported City because a) I liked Franny Lee and b) I didn't like the way veryone else supported United. So part football part cantancerous (sp?). Having said that I go to game regularly (about 8 home and a couple away) despite living in Cambridge now and am delighted that I have indoctrinated my two kids to be big City fans.

So, I see where the OP is coming from, but feel that up until now those of us from "out of twon" have been "you local's" soulmates. However, this will change. In an ideal world we may wish it not to, but FFS just live and let live and enjoy some success. Inevitably the tourists etc will come with it. So what.

I suppose that Im a glory hunter in a kind of a way.Im 62 now,from edinburgh and have "supported" City since the late 60s.A mate of mine,a city fan, was from Manchester and I have identified with City ever since.It was helped by Arthur Manns transfer from Hearts to City and the superb City side at that time.
My sons also support Hearts and City and have taken some stick over the years for wearing City tops.we have only seen City play a few times over the years.We dont really know Manchester but its City that we like and over the years its their result that we look for.
we have had to listen to the United glory hunters in Edinburgh put one over on us.It was not hard to do when they have all the the trophies and the glory.The irony is that we support the Hearts in Edinburgh which is the bigger club in Edinburgh over Hibernian but not by a big margin.
We are not anywhere near as big fans as most on this forum .Money comes into it big time.it takes a lot of pennies to come down from Scotland to watch city but I suppose if you are a fanatic you will stump up.
However the attraction of watching a City side full of quality players,challenging for trophies changes things.That attraction may take priority over other costly events for our families.
So we will probably make our 2nd trip down this season.I am sure that there are thousands like us.
Its going to take many years for City to truly compete with and overtake United and only success and increased attendances and interest will do this.Some kids that would have supported United in the past will turn to City.Its a snowball effect.So welcome all the glory hunters that you get.

Guess i am one of the boys you talk of then, i dont come from manchester,
do a 380 mile round trip, been a supporter since 1968( due to my teacher)
but perhaps you could make it easy for me and pick team for me to follow from a bit closer, you be supprised just how wide the support for city is spread accross the country

''Glory Hunters'' !!!!

PMSL

FFS there are easier options for anyone seeking glory.......none coming to us just yet

Make ticket prices affordable to local fans and then we wont have a problem! Those Irish fans of the rags must be loving it with those 1p flights on ryanair and the euro against the pound.

And not to mention the price of beer compared to Ireland!!!

Its like us going to prague 10-15 years ago. 33p for a beer I paid for!

M18CTID said:
what actually shocked me more was when I went to Chelsea the other week - I'd not been since 1993, and I couldn't believe just how many tourists and glory-hunters there were.

How do you know these people hadn't been going every year since 1993?

What is a glory hunter? What is a tourist?

Am I a tourist as an xpat manc coming home from aus and going to a few games?

Or am I not as a veteran of 2 decades going to watch city?

Is my uncle who has been watching city 43 years who started going when we were great in the late 60,s a glory fan?

Is somone who used to go a lot, who stopped becaus we were crap and comes back a glory fan?

I am not sure who is the judge and who is the jury on who is entitled to support us or not.

Seems to me unless you are a born and bred manc who lives in manc with city your nearest club and supported us first when we were crap - then most of us are tourists to some extent and most of us are glory fans to an extent.

No , but it will happen if we start to do things .<br /><br />-- Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:23 pm --<br /><br />
EalingBlue2 said:
What is a glory hunter? What is a tourist?

Am I a tourist as an xpat manc coming home from aus and going to a few games?

Or am I not as a veteran of 2 decades going to watch city?

Is my uncle who has been watching city 43 years who started going when we were great in the late 60,s a glory fan?

Is somone who used to go a lot, who stopped becaus we were crap and comes back a glory fan?

I am not sure who is the judge and who is the jury on who is entitled to support us or not.

Seems to me unless you are a born and bred manc who lives in manc with city your nearest club and supported us first when we were crap - then most of us are tourists to some extent and most of us are glory fans to an extent.

No fella , a glory hunter is some sad git that has never stepped inside Maine Road or the Coms to watch City , then ends up going when we start winning things , just like jumping on the bandwagon trust me it will happen .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.