Does death scare you?

When you are a child and you get an understanding of mortality and that you will die that is when it’s scary. It used to scare the shit out of me knowing that me and everyone I cared about will die.

Think as you get older there is more of an acceptance that it will happen and you make your peace with it. No one lives for ever so make it count whilst you are here.
Same here. When I first learned about mortality as a kid I cried every night for weeks as I imagined an eternity of nothing (like being a rag) but got over that. I’ve been as close to death as you can get but wasn’t that scared at the time.

I tried it once for just over three and a half minutes when I had a cardiac arrest, but didn't like it and came back into the land of the living! (Thank you, the ambulance paramedics for your prompt CPR)
Wish I could have done the same for my wife 7 years earlier when she died in my arms - my CPR efforts were unsuccessful.
It's inevitable that I'll die sooner or later (later please, so I can see my granddaughter grow up - she was born the day after my CA) and go the same way as my wife did. Hard on the girls, I know, but I don't want to let them suffer me
having a long, drawn out illness. They've been through enough already.

Same here. When I first learned about mortality as a kid I cried every night for weeks as I imagined an eternity of nothing (like being a rag) but got over that. I’ve been as close to death as you can get but wasn’t that scared at the time.
Yep, been close on a number of occasions - luckily I didn't have dependents at the time, so wasn't worried about that aspect.

The focus probably helped me get through, one required complete zen like calm to maximise my chances of survival, another quick, calm, logical thinking in the middle of a the aftermath of a car bomb attack.

The final one, where I drove off the white cliffs of dover, I just had a calm acceptance of the end with the comforting thought that, "Well, here we go...at least my sister loves me..."
Luckily that one was a dream...

Bloody ell mate that sounds like me but 10 years ago! I thought no way am I getting to forty unhealthy/overweight & not be able to enjoy my kids, I hit the gym & lost 3 stone, spent every evening & weekend at some kind of sport with the kids. I’d happily live those days again & wouldn’t change a thing. My youngest daughter wanted to be a vet, she’s 19 now & just got her quals from college to go to Uni next year. Unfortunately I’m back to 17st haha :) I’ve had the epiphany & getting back on it, but gonna focus on long term health & happiness (especially the mind) if I could give me old self a bit of advice it would be to give yourself some time to focus on your own health & wellbeing, it doesn’t have to be too much, just a few hours a week
Sounds very very close. I am losing weight slowly. But need to lose a lot more really. Great to hear she's gone to college and got the qualifications.

I take her every Saturday to football and I'm a coach for her team which I've just started.

Luckily I do take time for me. And there might be more kids to come!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.