Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine my shock

This doesn't really mean anything to be honest. She never wanted any of this in the first place and seemed happy enough to live out her life, only coming forward to give a written statement about BK. She's probably glad that the whole thing is over and doesn't want to go through it again. She was used as a political tool and now they have no further use for her, there's nothing stopping her walking away. I feel more sorry for her than anything else.

This doesn't really mean anything to be honest. She never wanted any of this in the first place and seemed happy enough to live out her life, only coming forward to give a written statement about BK. She's probably glad that the whole thing is over and doesn't want to go through it again. She was used as a political tool and now they have no further use for her, there's nothing stopping her walking away. I feel more sorry for her than anything else.

It's clear she was a political pawn, the whole episode just saddens me.

Makes the mid terms a bit more interesting. Dems can't arrogantly assume they are going to make huge gains. Republicans will feel emboldened by the decision.

It's clear she was a political pawn, the whole episode just saddens me.

The right outcome happened in terms of the presumption of innocence but it's the way the US is moving. Extreme short-termism thinking and ultra partisanship is plaguing them and I fear we're not THAT far behind in the UK.

It was the Democrats who changed the rules from needing 60 votes to 50 to end a filibuster under Obama. Now the Supreme Court has a "Conservative slant" after Trump put two on there. You can't think like that in politics, this is where loads of people seem to go wrong - once you establish a practice, your opposition get to use it against you too. Which is why people should take a MAD-like view of these things and keep them civil and rational; it's a defensive measurement more than an attacking one. Instead nobody ever does.

Makes the mid terms a bit more interesting. Dems can't arrogantly assume they are going to make huge gains. Republicans will feel emboldened by the decision.

Trump's approval ratings are higher than Obama's was at the same stage, at least according to a poll I saw on CNN.

In the scheme of things, this is probably bad for Trump in terms of the elections. If BK was not passed, he could have potentially used that to flame the outrage that gets his voters energised. Instead he now has to go for the midterms on the platform of "I'm doing what I said I'd do" which is get the economy going and get the Supreme Court slanted.

Whether it will be enough is another matter. Latest projections I saw were a move to a slight Dem majority. He'd have to pull another rabbit out of the hat to keep the Senate.

The right outcome happened in terms of the presumption of innocence but it's the way the US is moving. Extreme short-termism thinking and ultra partisanship is plaguing them and I fear we're not THAT far behind in the UK.

It was the Democrats who changed the rules from needing 60 votes to 50 to end a filibuster under Obama. Now the Supreme Court has a "Conservative slant" after Trump put two on there. You can't think like that in politics, this is where loads of people seem to go wrong - once you establish a practice, your opposition get to use it against you too. Which is why people should take a MAD-like view of these things and keep them civil and rational; it's a defensive measurement more than an attacking one. Instead nobody ever does.

The Supreme Court has had a conservative slant for years if not decades. The ending of the 60 rule was done because the GOP refused to pass judges under Obama and Reid knew if the GOP kept the Senate and won the WH McConnell would have nuked the 60 rule on judge appointements anyway.

The big question is do the Dems nuke the 60 rule on legislation when they get control as the possibility of this keeps the GOP awake at nights. GOP are likely to keep slim control of the Senate in the mid terms but will probably lose the House.

Nominating Kavanaugh was a mistake. There are plenty of conservative judges without the sexual assault baggage added to which he now has the hyper partisan and unfit temperament baggage. Also the digging into his past will continue. GOP should have dropped him. Kavanaugh is too compromised to be effective.

Trump's approval ratings are higher than Obama's was at the same stage, at least according to a poll I saw on CNN.

In the scheme of things, this is probably bad for Trump in terms of the elections. If BK was not passed, he could have potentially used that to flame the outrage that gets his voters energised. Instead he now has to go for the midterms on the platform of "I'm doing what I said I'd do" which is get the economy going and get the Supreme Court slanted.

Whether it will be enough is another matter. Latest projections I saw were a move to a slight Dem majority. He'd have to pull another rabbit out of the hat to keep the Senate.

Democrats have very little prayer in the Senate, but a a very good chance to flip the House. But if the last two years have taught us anything, it's that polls don't seem to do as good a job of predicting outcomes as they once used to.

The Supreme Court has had a conservative slant for years if not decades.

It's considered to be pretty even before Trump. Yellow line is baseline

800px-Graph_of_Martin-Quinn_Scores_of_Supreme_Court_Justices_1937-Now.png

Democrats have very little prayer in the Senate, but a a very good chance to flip the House. But if the last two years have taught us anything, it's that polls don't seem to do as good a job of predicting outcomes as they once used to.

Yeah I actually meant the House rather than the Senate.

I believe that US pollsters have been formulating new algorithms since 2016 that they feel are more accurate and representative so perhaps they're already using them for the midterm calculations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.