Dont ever doubt Garry Cook again......

mackenzie said:
MadchesterCity said:
But ...

The word is spread, the butter may be on both sides of the toast and dropped on the floor but everyone wants to nibble our toast!!

When someone brings home the bacon is the only time I will listen to the Cook.

ha ha - I like that with the bacon!!!

Fair enough, I guess we have to agree to disagree on our thoughts on Cook!!

Bluemoon115 said:
mackenzie said:
(Sighs. Very heavily)

I don't give a Castlemaine 4X what he is doing in China, USA, Middle East or SouthEast Asia.

I don't CARE about "big business."

I couldn't even give a damn whether he knows about the offside rule or not.

I just want him to stop making gaffes in public and to STFU.

There, I have said it. Again.

I just want to watch City on Wednesday without the thought that we have a great big FOOKING GOBSHITE around on our payroll.

Is that so much to ask?
Bold statements about what you WILL DO get across to the American market. Talking about what you HAVE done are boring.

And I know, you don't care about the brand. But in case you havn't noticed, UEFA are making bankrolling a club damn near impossible for the futre, so we need ways of making genuine income if we want to make it into the Champions League.

Or maybe you don't care about that either.

You make a very broad and generalised assumption there. One that is doubting my allegiance to the Club I have supported for 40 years.

I care alright.

Just don't see how Cook's comments have made any inroads. If you think he has then OK. I don't.

MadchesterCity said:
mackenzie said:
When someone brings home the bacon is the only time I will listen to the Cook.

ha ha - I like that with the bacon!!!

Fair enough, I guess we have to agree to disagree on our thoughts on Cook!!

Agreed. ;-)

And after all.....it's not making any difference to what happens on Wednesday, is it?

Apart from giving them the rise.

SalfordCityBlue said:
Lot of bullshit surrounds Cook. He did nothing wrong in New York, and we should be 100% behind him.

Unfortunately a lot of City fans seem to want to be forever loved for being plucky losers. Fuck that. I'm sick of us being losers, and someone (very much in the know) telling me those days are over should be cheered from the rafters.

We are considerably richer than everyone. We have more loyal support than everyone. We have unlimited potential. We have a great opportunity in that we are awash with cash while everyone else is drowning in debt.

We will be bigger than The Beatles... I mean United.

Support the team. Support the owners. Support the people REVOLUTIONISING our club.
Personally i dont want a city bar in new york,i dont like the route he is going down making us into a "global" brand.

I will take my hat off to peter kenyon, he grasped the idea of manchester united plc and turned it into a global brand,i buzz seeing what he turned manchester.united into,ok i didnt like the winning bit (blame the whisky thats gone) but he made them, now they are a shell.
We dont need supporters bars in new york were city,if he wants a supporters bar put one on rochdale road leave 5th avenue to them.
we

We4

law74 said:
So once again this numpty has made us look as arrogant as the rag twots down the road, and in the same breath has done baconfaces job for him for wednesday night.
Get rid soonest please.

Do you actually believe that anything Garry Cook says will affect the motivation of their players?

Let's also ignore the fact he was speaking at a City Supporters meeting and is obviously going to big up the club

MANCIO4EVER said:
kippaxblue76 said:
Whats the saying, "there is no such thing as bad publicity"

frankly, even if none seems to be interested omo, I fail to understand.
first no doubt good name and good publicity come from the pitch acheivements.
whether we get a cl spot this year, we pass over CL round robins and we win the league next year (difficult, but indeed possible), be everybody sure that, even if ceo would come out of backingham palace at the change of guard dressed like a she-male, the whole world will love and clap the club. had you ever been concerned about the almost peculiar habits inside real madrid, or you did focused on star players, pitch performances and silverware acheived? c'mon...
right or wrong we live a mediatic world, the only shame being ignored: what about the andy wharrol's cheap scraps, being assessed (and priced) fine arts?
To be successfull needs top qualified and senior people fitted with rough character: sometimes this lead these people to be uncool and overstating, who cares nowdays?
perahaps anybody wants to continue to be regarded as fine loosers? anybody wants to have back people spending £ 30+m for kind of robihno? perhaps anybody wants to continue being teased by these very cool and classy people like neville and SAF (which in spite of the serious concerns should have either technically and financially at his home, still continue to lays his cheap snobbish look over our side)?
Frankly I fail to understand.
Can anybody argue me with proper arguments?

I'm with this guy! There's only us, SSN and Henry Winter who care what GC really says. In the bigger picture what else d we expect or CEO say in a bar in NY to launch a new OSC...?

Grow up boys.

Tommy johnson said:
SalfordCityBlue said:
Lot of bullshit surrounds Cook. He did nothing wrong in New York, and we should be 100% behind him.

Unfortunately a lot of City fans seem to want to be forever loved for being plucky losers. Fuck that. I'm sick of us being losers, and someone (very much in the know) telling me those days are over should be cheered from the rafters.

We are considerably richer than everyone. We have more loyal support than everyone. We have unlimited potential. We have a great opportunity in that we are awash with cash while everyone else is drowning in debt.

We will be bigger than The Beatles... I mean United.

Support the team. Support the owners. Support the people REVOLUTIONISING our club.
Personally i dont want a city bar in new york,i dont like the route he is going down making us into a "global" brand.

I will take my hat off to peter kenyon, he grasped the idea of manchester united plc and turned it into a global brand,i buzz seeing what he turned manchester.united into,ok i didnt like the winning bit (blame the whisky thats gone) but he made them, now they are a shell.
We dont need supporters bars in new york were city,if he wants a supporters bar put one on rochdale road leave 5th avenue to them.
we

We4

mackenzie said:
Bluemoon115 said:
Bold statements about what you WILL DO get across to the American market. Talking about what you HAVE done are boring.

And I know, you don't care about the brand. But in case you havn't noticed, UEFA are making bankrolling a club damn near impossible for the futre, so we need ways of making genuine income if we want to make it into the Champions League.

Or maybe you don't care about that either.

You make a very broad and generalised assumption there. One that is doubting my allegiance to the Club I have supported for 40 years.

I care alright.

Just don't see how Cook's comments have made any inroads. If you think he has then OK. I don't.
Not questioning your allegiance, but your failing to see the bigger picture.

Yes, we as Brits find what he has just said cringeworthy.

When was the last time something from Bugerland didn't make you cringe?

A President elected because he danced on a chat show.
The Governor of California elected for being the worst actor around.
Obese people taking McDonalds to court, and winning, for making them unhealthy.

We may speak a similar language, but it's a completely different culture to ours. Our target audience over there are the ones who embrace that sort of culture. Loud, bold, idiotic statements about domination and change win wupport over there.

I don't particularly get excited over the idea of a lobal brand, but what does excite me is what it would do for the club.

mackenzie said:
Bizzbo

At this moment in time I think I spread Jam better than he spreads the "word." Whatever that means.

I have no problems with the bloke at all, seems a nice enough fella etc and his heart is in the right place. But the Richard Dunne comment did it for me and he hasn't said anything since to make me think otherwise.

furr enough. The RD comment was an absolute howler, can't deny that one. I'm not sure what the 'word' is though. I mean, he is surely spreading something out there! I won't deny that his comments are not to everyone's taste, and I won't pretend everyone has to like it....I just found a few of the posts decrying what he said quite pompous, (as far as I can see toungue-in-cheek arrogance is very much trait I associate with quite a few city fans).... and a few of the other posts seem quite sad and defeatist. if we lose tommorow, what gary cook said will be the surely be least shameful thing about it... either way you pick yourself up again and reach for the top. if the criticism of others over such trivial things stops you from doing that, you will never make it.

I don't care what journalists and reactionary onlookers think, I don't care what silly gibes opponents think they can throw at us... I care about the team, and I care about impact on the wider world.... I think we are becoming a very strong club, hopefully with substantial values that go far beyond 'appearing modest'. I am thinking of excellence, intelligence, determination, the commitment to developing youth, the relationship between club and fans, our commitment to act responsibly...... to me what we say doesn't compare to the substance of what we do. if you have substance, you know what you are about, you don't care about silly gossip and criticism.

basically I agree with our Mancio4eva... publicity is priceless, and any criticism arising from this is as trivial as it gets. on the continent those in charge of the clubs are expected to be controversial... and I don't see for a minute that being controversial makes you bad at your job.... on the contrary people who are effecting change, people with vision, courage and determination often say things that go down rather badly. I can't say for sure this describes Cook, but I can say that being modest and considered, getting public approval for your every single comment is not an indicator of a good leader.

All I know is that Fergie felt the need to stoke things up again tonight. The semi-finals have become a compelling moment of sporting theatre, and to me Cook has knowingly added to that.

I just don't see how having an article printed in the Tehran Times is such a big deal - can someone please explain to me how it is? It's notionally better than not having one I'll grant you, but this is poor example of GC's acumen. If he's brokering deals around the world, fair enough; if he's bigging us up (as long as he stops leading with his glass chin) then that's fine as well, however, getting a write-up in this or any other paper (in this day and age of international, multi-media, news screenscraping software is really nothing to shout about. International or English-version foreign national newspapers have carried such stories (be they sport or finance) for years. It's really nothing new and has very little (if anything at all) to do with GC and should not be used to bash sceptical Blues who love the club more than GC (or any other senior staff) could ever do or will.

Like your posts, generally, fbloke but I think you are overstating the case here... sorry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.